Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for pics on how you mounted your pin on hood??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My camaro ones should be here this week. I'll take some close up pics, and test fit. But I'm not read for any final fitting right now, I can probally see how they line up on a firebird too., I had them shipped to new era were my pin on sunoco is.
Heres my winter build thread I'll be putting the pics on.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...itch-diet.html

But somone should call racecrafters and ask more about the firebird ones for sure. There were great when I orderd my stuff. I forgot add the sunoco hood uses the thin style front rails, they make the front rails for the thicker style hood also, I think they said the hardwoods?

What size duz are you guys useing? I think I'm gona get some #5s self ejects, but not sure .500 or .550? I'd like to find some gold caduim ones to match the SOM, better then silver ones.

Last edited by studderin; 02-23-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should have my set by wed!

they even had a set to go for the extended hood!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 87Lt1Monte
ME TOO! i was told by racecraft that they do no advertise the firebird rails because they are very difficult to install.. so i was hoping someone else would try to install them b4 me
Difficult to install? Blah. I'm calling

As soon as VFN does a GP on that 5 inch hood that comes to the windshield, I'll be ordering a set, and we'll put that to the test
Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by studderin
I think I'm gona get some #5s self ejects, but not sure .500 or .550?
When they are saying these measurements, what is being measured? The actual head of the fastener?

-Coleman
Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Someone on YB told me that they do have rails for the Firebird they just dont list them on there site.

Maybe Madman will chime in. I need to get a set also.
I called Racecraft yesterday, and spoke with Matt on this subject. He said that the ONLY car that their dzus rails will fit is a 98-02 Camaro. They had some prototypes for 93-97 camaros and for firebirds/transams, but they would not consistently fit well, so they pulled them from the site.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Race your car!

So we're back to square one on this. Damn it what's it gonna take to get someone to make a set of rails for a transam that we can bolt on like a camaro?

Maybe make the mounting holes a little bit of a slot so that we can adjust them up and down, maybe have 2 for each side so it's not one single piece, there's enough bolts on each side so if there were a total of 4 pcs that each one would have at least 2 bolts holding the rail on.

Got to be a way.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mad_steve_08
I called Racecraft yesterday, and spoke with Matt on this subject. He said that the ONLY car that their dzus rails will fit is a 98-02 Camaro. They had some prototypes for 93-97 camaros and for firebirds/transams, but they would not consistently fit well, so they pulled them from the site.

Sucks !
Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Sucks !
Just get the firbird rails they have and we can make them fit. I mnot scared. at least we will have something to start with.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:30 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
Just get the firbird rails they have and we can make them fit. I mnot scared. at least we will have something to start with.
You mean Camaro rails?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

No someone a few posts up said they had firbird rails but they were "hard to install" we can install anything it would be nice to have a nice looking piece to start with. give them a ring and see if they have something close we can make work. If not get the marrow rails and we will make them work. workse case we can do them like we did on my car . but the rails look nicer.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 87Lt1Monte
ME TOO! i was told by racecraft that they do no advertise the firebird rails because they are very difficult to install.. so i was hoping someone else would try to install them b4 me

Here
Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
No someone a few posts up said they had firbird rails but they were "hard to install" we can install anything it would be nice to have a nice looking piece to start with. give them a ring and see if they have something close we can make work. If not get the marrow rails and we will make them work. workse case we can do them like we did on my car . but the rails look nicer.
It's not a matter of how hard they are to install, it's the outcome. The rails they had made were not allowing the hood to come down enough to meet the fender flush. I did, however, find out that they will be working to get something out for the Firebirds. I don't have a time-frame for this, but it's in the works.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Race your car!

Good to hear Steve, I hope they do soon... because I really would like to do it right the first time rather then hacking a hood and putting some 1/2 *** tabs on, I've seen a couple cars done that way and it always looks/fits like ****.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used racecraft rails on my car, and had to modify the hell out of them to get my vfn hood flush. I'm not complaining at all, because its just the nature of the beast. I did have to trim the rail a quarter inch or so all the way down, and elongate ALL the mounting holes so the rails would come up to the top of the fender. On the front I used a bunch of washers to space them out so the front lip of the hood would sit into the gap. Alot of work, but I really like it. Definitely shedded atleast 35# off the front, and there's plenty of room to rig up a hardcore air inlet since the hood latch hardware is gone. I'll try to get some pics of the outcome

Quick Reply: looking for pics on how you mounted your pin on hood??