Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats holley intake has the taper top so if...(they ever make the cathy port) And I was to fit one, you can easly weld up the inside, and grind out a little step across it to tuck under the glass edge without lowering the K members.

If anything on the RT I would build up epoxy on the inside and notch the lid. The runners are no were near the middle inside.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
Here are some pic's for you. a good amount of cutting and a little fab work but thats the easy part. keep us posted on this and what hood fits it. the car we did is still hood less
thanks , ya I saw thouse last year. It was a Trex cam with heads SBE,...... made like 488?

What ports did you guys use? I htink Im gona block all the rear ones to make it easier to work on. The rear map isn;t drilled but the 3/8 brake boosted is. Im thinking about cutting the nipple flush and flush thread plug it. And use the side 3/8 fitting for the power booster. And remount the map off some vac line.
Looks like my edelbrock rails will work, and there U brackets, just have to drill one new hole in them, (like the fast rails have the 2 holes for one side of the rails) I guess I'll be using my 92mm TB for now too.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about modifying the lid, how much room is between the runners and the base if one were to do this. I have been thinking about it for a couple months as well. How tall is the base and runners from the valley cover?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That intake, is the "big and ugly" for the ls world The thing is so big it looks like it's out of a comic book.

Curious how it does though compared to a good single plane. Nice work on getting it in there for those of you that did, and I like to see that people are finally getting warmed up to the idea of cutting to make stuff like this fit
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That intake, is the "big and ugly" for the ls world The thing is so big it looks like it's out of a comic book.

Curious how it does though compared to a good single plane. Nice work on getting it in there for those of you that did, and I like to see that people are finally getting warmed up to the idea of cutting to make stuff like this fit
it'll fit LOL give me a hammer and saw. but for what it is worth here is a dyno graph of the car we did xer cam 24x/24x trick flow 220 ascast 11.8.1 sbe 1and3/4 stepped to 1and7/8 y pipe cut out. nothing really crazy.
Attached Thumbnails Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet-joshs-dyno.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

whats thouse 2 pulls setups?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
whats thouse 2 pulls setups?
i think it was his old setup to new setup or untuned to tuned cant remember
Old 06-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If that was over an old 90 mm that's pretty good for just swapping the intake. If it was over a stock ls6 I'm not surprised. I'd like to see it compared to a port matched single plane, super victor, mast or Allpro, Allpro being my first choice.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Last night the 1st HF body saw, I broke the front off putting boash jig saw blades in it. So just use the HF blades. Traded it for a new one today after work got a few hours in on it late tonight.

all the wiper stuff, took a pic so I remember to weight it all. Anyone already know?

set the base on.

sits on the heads good

front looks like it clears the WP, I htink the LSXR 102 hit the LS1 WP? slaos clears my coolant tubes, and the LS6 valley cover I run.

Fits my unported heads ok, little bigger then the stock ports.

The runner outlets to the head are 1.02 to 1.03 wide by 2.77 tall. 2,83 CSA
The runner inlets at the plenum are 1.625 wide by 2.350 tall 3.81 CSA
runners are 10.0 long, along the middle off a runner (head face to runner radius) And only have a slight bend.

Taped all the head ports up really good, and the VC fittings, Covered the motor up in a few layers of sheets. A folded up softer blanket on the valley cover to kneel on (your gonna be there a while) And started hacking At 1st tried to keep the inner cowl truss thats over on the passenger side. So cut right along that (cuts oput the sop welds, so was gona weld it back a little on the side) And cut about 8 1/2 inchs wide back under the windshield.

That didnt work, The motor is that 3/4 inch off to the passager side so your gona have to loose that truss thing.

And the back of this intake in not square do your gonna have to slant the back, deeper on the passenger side.
I figure theres no holes around there for the cowl trim push T's to use anyway. And cutting more makes it easier to work on the car. So trimming it over not to next holes for the cowl T's and blending that back.

Tommaorw I want to get some better left handed good tin snips. The single layer metal you can cut really nice with good snips. Double layers you have to saw. But theres not alot of room to open the snips, or get you hand round them, with the heads in the way. So the more offset styles the better.

The body saw sometimes your holding the trigger down against the VC, or the cowl so no way to stop it cutting. so watch out for that haha

Last edited by studderin; 06-05-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

Looking good man!! The new manifold looks alot bigger, but seeing the 90mm fast there, as a comparison is very interesting to the real size of things.

Yeah the snips work good, When you put your plastic windshield covers back on trimmed up, the manifold will look more factory like!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

ya, Im hoping to run it to the lid still with the maff, so it will be very streetable still.

Old is a 92 fast btw
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

longshot but could you set the base and runners on the motor without the top? I want to see how tall it is with just the runners and no one will measure it for me

Looks awesome BTW
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I lol'd when I saw the picture next to the fast 92. Makes it look so small.

Random thought; you might want to get some aquapel or rainx for the windshield if you aren't running wipers anymore. Not that you intentionally drive the car in the rain.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya I put some of that orange RainX washer fuild in my truck, and after squirting it a few times. I really noticed it gets alot of dust on the winsheild, I thought it sucked. But then in the rain you dont really need the wiper You have to be going a little for the water to push off, but even slow it kinda beeds up flat or something, but you can still see right though the rain drops. Ive had a few bottle but never used it, I'll put it on for sure. But I started looking for how much I really use the wipers, and I only used them after a wash the car to get the water off. I dont really go driving around down the Hway when its pouring out anyway.
Same thing with the heater, I only use it 2-3 times in the late fall. When it starts getting cold out I wear warmer close anyway, to be outside. It's not like I'm gona freeze to death not having heat. Moving the car around in the winter I let it run out in the snow and warm up. I'll have it on, if its snowing to keep the snow form buidling up to bad when I pull the car back inside, but thats about it for what I really use the heaters I don't need it for keeping the windows from fogging up ever in the last 5 years. I dont live in the jungle or anything.

Last edited by studderin; 06-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grr
longshot but could you set the base and runners on the motor without the top? I want to see how tall it is with just the runners and no one will measure it for me

Looks awesome BTW

3rd runners in not pressed in the lower base, the do not fit under the lower overhang metal

got some more good WISK metal snips, hope to have it fit tonight. Not sure if Im gonna just seal up the cowl plastics solid over the screen holes, and make that a drip rail. I was thinking today I can cut the metal and bend it a little up to a little drip rail still off the glass, and have that drain to the sides, and out inside the fenders like stock.

Last edited by studderin; 06-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Love this build and car great work... On the hf saw i use one at work all the time for trimmin up exhaust peices and misc sheet metal i took the front hoop off it and u can cut hacksaw blades in half and use them in it works great for thick layered cuts or exhaust pipe also eventully ull break the lil plastic cover with the phillips screw on it i just use a peice of tape or zip tie to hold it together. That lil 10 buck saw works good though just gotta give it a bump start sumdays
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

I need that bracket for the windshield wiper.. It's the corner on on the drivers side.. You wanna sell it pm me?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

fits
Old 06-07-2012, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
fits
now pics
Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Here are all my pics when I did the LSXRT swap. You will need a non tcs throttle cable for extended length around the intake. Also buy the gm truck tb cable bracket. Map sensor was mounted on top and extended. Kmember was not spaced down because it didn't need to be after I measured. I also used factory round style truck rails. Fast round style bracket kit is needed. Along with spacers depending on injectors used. Only reason a hood isn't on the car is because I have other projects going on, and then had trans issues. Get ready to run a big cowl as it throws the tb up at a weird angle. Most likely a notch to the core support will be needed too. You will also need to get creative with your CAI setup. I didn't read your whole thread but I'm not sure what intake your going from. Mine was from a bbk 85\85 setup. Per a very reputable airflow engineer on this board the fast lsxrt 102\102 compared to a fast lsxr 102/102 will be within 5rwhp of each other.
Attached Thumbnails Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet-intake1.jpg   Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet-intake2.jpg   Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet-intake3.jpg   Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet-intake4.jpg   Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet-intake5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet