Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Legal Race Weight

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street Legal Race Weight

I'm sure this has been done before but i'm looking for a completely street legal car that has had some weight taken out for the track. This means that you could bring this to your local gas station and get safety inspection done and it will still pass. I have been contemplating taking a lot of weight out of my car but it seems everything would make it even harder to get by inspection. It is already hard enough without having cats let alone if I pull heat, air bags, etc. Just wondering if anyone has some low #'s but still doesn't have a problem getting by inspection or if there is a trick that I am still oblivious too haha.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant see why heat would cause your car to fail inspection but heres a list of what in my personal opinion should pass inspection no problems now I may or may not be rite.

a/c and all parts associated as well as electrical
rear seat/seat belts/brackets
rear speakers/wiring
spare tire/jack and mounting points
heater/heater core and associated parts
power steering/all parts associated
I would have a hard time believing that a manual brake conversion would fail inspection and that would allow abs delete and many other parts

fog lites/ brackets/wiring

if you did ac delete powersteering delete and heat delete you could pick up a cheap electric water pummp and only run your alt off your crank
Old 05-31-2009, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

I am down to 3520 with a full tank of gas. All seats sway bars and cd's in the center console. All bumper supports and street legal stuff still in there.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

wow your guys cars are heavy! I knew they were but haven't really looked into it until recently
Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I am down to 3520 with a full tank of gas. All seats sway bars and cd's in the center console. All bumper supports and street legal stuff still in there.
What did you do to get down to that weight? I want to keep my A/C, heat and power steering.....
Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Banned

I just weighed in at 3710 lbs with me in the car today at the track. I weigh 230s. I'm seriously thinking some more weight reduction because I'm so close to 10's. The bluebook value on my car has gone to **** anyway, and it doesn't get driven that much on the street, so deleting the AC along with some other stuff gets looking better and better...
Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
What did you do to get down to that weight? I want to keep my A/C, heat and power steering.....

I have full interior. No a/c or spare tire stuff. I also added a vacuum pump and sfc. I figured that on 1/4 tank I would be around 34?? I have never weighed the car with the seats out of it and the sway bar and what not. I am sure I could easily get it down in the 33xx range with those and the drag wheels. That weight was with some heavy Z06 replica 18" wheels. I also have the abs/tsc delete from SJM. Sure it wasn't too much but still something.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much does a FI trans am weigh? The only thing that i took out of my car is my spare tire and jack.....
Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Internet Mechanic

Unfortunately a Camaro has about 150 pounds on us Trans Am guys which annoys me as much as racing drivers half the weight of me IN CAMAROS!!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Unfortunately a Camaro has about 150 pounds on us Trans Am guys which annoys me as much as racing drivers half the weight of me IN CAMAROS!!
I thought it was like 300lbs??
Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats pretty hard to believe. Where is the extra weight... assuming both cars are fully optioned (or de-optioned ).

The hatch may be a little heavier, but the frames are the same aren't they?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by landonew
Thats pretty hard to believe. Where is the extra weight... assuming both cars are fully optioned (or de-optioned ).

I think it is all in our interior. We have an upgraded interior vs the camaro
Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by landonew

Window motors.... and a a host of other things.

My car with out me and a pair of buddies with their camaros that had SFC's and I didnt mine weighed some where in the range of 3700 and they were 3465 or something really stupid.

They were all m6 cars with Moser 12 bolts and it just pissed me off. On a side note, why do you think most race shops race with Camaros? A) Cheaper and B) Lighter.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

My car with out me and a pair of buddies with their camaros that had SFC's and I didnt mine weighed some where in the range of 3700 and they were 3465 or something really stupid.

They were all m6 cars with Moser 12 bolts and it just pissed me off. On a side note, why do you think most race shops race with Camaros? A) Cheaper and B) Lighter.
Official curb weights for a 2002 Trans Am:

Coupe auto - 3,517
Coupe manual - 3,495 (ie your car)

Vert auto - 3,627
Vert manual - 3,605

Official curb weights for a 2002 Camaro:

Coupe auto - 3,433
Coupe manual - 3,411 (my car)

Vert auto - 3,577
Vert manual - (searching)

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure GM knows how to use a scale, even if they suck at designing cars that sell. That's an 84 pound difference. We'd have to go to the same scale at the same time to get an accurate reading on current weight because every time I weigh my car at the track it weighs differently, even at the same track, so I don't trust those scales except for same day, same time comparisons.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 06-01-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

and C) BETTER INTERIOR. I'll give you guys the nod on exterior looks any day of the week WS6 vs any Camaro, but I can't stand the interior on Trans Ams. Just a personal preference, though.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Official curb weights for a 2002 Trans Am:

Coupe auto - 3,517
Coupe manual - 3,495 (ie your car)

Vert auto - 3,627
Vert manual - 3,605

Official curb weights for a 2002 Camaro:

Coupe auto - 3,433
Coupe manual - 3,411 (my car)

Vert auto - 3,577
Vert manual - (searching)

That's an 84 pound difference. We'd have to go to the same scale at the same time to get an accurate reading on current weight because every time I weigh my car at the track it weighs differently, even at the same track, so I don't trust those scales.

We have scaled them Joe, there was a bigger gap but I didnt write down my weights, Id have to search through 3/4 of a year old post to find it.

We cant go by factory # since they often are not correct and we have heaiver then stock parts etc etc.

At some point when we all go, we will check it out but Its more then 100. But again its call physics, cant fight them.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

We have scaled them Joe, there was a bigger gap but I didnt write down my weights, Id have to search through 3/4 of a year old post to find it.

We cant go by factory # since they often are not correct and we have heaiver then stock parts etc etc.

At some point when we all go, we will check it out but Its more then 100. But again its call physics, cant fight them.
Yeah, the best way to do it is one right after the other. I don't remember doing this but there will be plenty of track days ahead and we've already swapped our setups around quite a bit since then anyways. It would be cool to find out.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah Trans Am's definitly weigh more, i think mine was 3700 at one point but i did have some parts in the car I was holding for a friend. I thought you had to have running heat for the defroster to pass inspection?? I was going to pull AC and heat because mine is never driven only weekends and track but someone said that. Damn 3300-3400 is right where I want to be. Suspension will help but pretty much to stay street legal and fun all i can pull are ac, heat, sway bar, bumper supports?? Seats are already gone so is spare and lighter tires on the way. 03 busa how much heavier is the fab'd 9 vs 10 bolt?? I was going that route too at x-mas time
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

~3000lbs No Driver, 1/8 tank of gas

I consider mine street legal, it has head/tail lights, turn signals, horn, wipers, drivers seat and seat belt. It also has all of the interior trim panels and lightweight carpet. Everything else is gone.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wowsers 3000 without driver now that is light. I wish I could see this in person as to what exactly all you have taken out of this thing haha. I'm just scared to take certain things out like bumper supports and stuff, i dont want anything messing up haha.

Quick Reply: Street Legal Race Weight