Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn nice job!! Looks great specially because your doing it yourself...congrats
Old 08-26-2009, 04:40 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wish I had the skills to weld, and do what you're doing ... as I plan to 25.5 my car next year. If I did have the ability... I'd be doing it all myself as well. The satisfaction alone would be worth it to me.

Maybe someday.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Outstanding!!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good... The 25.3 spec will be out in september, you need to make sure 315s will fit.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement.

When I picked up this car up my intentions were to practice on this one, and do it for real on another one… I already have the other car. But once I got started I just kept going and this is where I’m at. I’m still going to build the other car… Probably set it up for a N/A class and race it locally. I’ll make them look the same but only one will have some real teeth…
Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good, nice work!

Derek
Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Wow that looks fantastic. I give you a lot of credit for going out and tackling the chassis work. I wanted to do that also but the start up cost alone kept me out of it.

Great job.

~Jim~
Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 PM
7 Second Club

i like your mid-plate brace... nice and creative and sturdy... i'm one of the guys that has a bar running under the windshield and i recently had to put a engine limiter on to keep the forward and backward movement to a minimum.

i've seen a few of madmans cars where he welds the mid-plate into the firewall also, which is also neat...

looks like your doing a good job.... you're bracing the **** outa that thing in the back... make sure you dont neglect the shock tower bars and for a 25.2 you'll need one more diagnol bar to make an "X".
Old 08-26-2009, 01:52 PM
7 Second Club

something else i was going to mention.... with those 2" drop spindles you'll either have to get the rear of the car really low and get a madman torque arm that has lots of adjustment, clearance the tunnel, and get some extra long LCA brackets (the BMR ones arent long enough) to get the IC of that car back where it needs to be or sell the drop spindles and get a standard height spindle.

i did the same thing on my car, however at the time i wasnt ready to make all the other modifications to make them work so i talked to burkhart chassis about making me a set of stock height spindles that fit the 3rd gen brake kit.... pm me with any questions about that if you need to.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
Wow that looks fantastic. I give you a lot of credit for going out and tackling the chassis work. I wanted to do that also but the start up cost alone kept me out of it.

Great job.

~Jim~
I hear ya about the cost. I was not going to even mess with it at first. That’s why the Wolf sub frame connectors are in there. I was going to put those is there and then just order a cage from them or get it done locally. I even called around to get prices. But after no-one would give me a solid quote, or even call me back for that matter, I said the heck with it and starting pricing equipment. That’s when I got my second shock. If you think a pre-fabed cage is expensive, start pricing tubing benders, Coping machines and all the other tools you will need to build a complex cage. Ouch!!! I almost gave up again but I but decided to keep going and see what happens. <(risky and scary) BTW, if any of you guys what to try this kinda thing, leave out the sub frame connectors. For a 10 point cage they are perfect. But if you go beyond that, they just get in the way. Especially if you are tall, like me. You’ll know what I mean when you go to install the driver’s seat and the bars under the car. It’s a real challenge to get your butt low enough for your head to clear the top of the “funny car” section of the cage with the Wolf sub-frame connectors in there. I’ll be able to do it but I had to cut off those little risers they weld on there in the seat area… The “butt bar” … <(The seat mounting tube that’s required in the 25.5 SFI book goes right in that area) And if you are tall, you need every inch you can get in that area of the car.

I’ll post up some more progress pics tonight. I don’t have much time to post during the day, so this will more than likely be a build thread for the night shift… But if any of the Pros or otherwise, see something I missed, or something I can do to make it better or safer, please speak up… We can all learn something.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
i like your mid-plate brace... nice and creative and sturdy... i'm one of the guys that has a bar running under the windshield and i recently had to put a engine limiter on to keep the forward and backward movement to a minimum.

i've seen a few of madmans cars where he welds the mid-plate into the firewall also, which is also neat...

looks like your doing a good job.... you're bracing the **** outa that thing in the back... make sure you dont neglect the shock tower bars and for a 25.2 you'll need one more diagnol bar to make an "X".

Thanks for the info. I have a few more bars to put back there but I can't until I modify my tunnel around the rear torque arm mount… It hits the floor right now. I’m going to change that all around, soon.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
something else i was going to mention.... with those 2" drop spindles you'll either have to get the rear of the car really low and get a madman torque arm that has lots of adjustment, clearance the tunnel, and get some extra long LCA brackets (the BMR ones arent long enough) to get the IC of that car back where it needs to be or sell the drop spindles and get a standard height spindle.

i did the same thing on my car, however at the time i wasnt ready to make all the other modifications to make them work so i talked to burkhart chassis about making me a set of stock height spindles that fit the 3rd gen brake kit.... pm me with any questions about that if you need to.

Thanks. And yes, I might wanna pick your brain about that. Right now, the car sit low, but will it be low enough???... I don't know. Lots and lots of mock up to do...
Old 08-26-2009, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice build. If everything works out I'll be doing something similar to mine this winter.

Looks great! Keep up the good work.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are a few pics of the car when I had it sitting on it's wheels during the cage install. As I said earlier, the rear tires are MT 325's, the wheels are 10" Weld Magnum. Up front, I'm running 3.5" Weld billet's on Good Year 26" tall tires. I'm happy with the look but is it gonna work at the track?... That's another story. Extending the LCA brackets and opening up the tunnel for torque arm clearance is easy so I "should" be able to the IC angle that (ty ty13) mentioned above.

The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.-picture-235.jpg The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.-picture-232.jpg

This is the tranny I picked out for this project. I'm no tranny expert but it appears to be built the way I needs to be. It's a Abruzzi "Mack Daddy" with all the SFI stuff so I don't think I have to run a shield. I haven't picked a converter yet, but I'll probably go with a Neil Chance. 9.5" bolt together unit set-up for the "trainer engine." Trainer engine... I guess I should expound on that a little.

The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.-picture-242.jpg

I'm been out of drag racing for about 20 years. I haven't been out of motor sports, just "asphalt drag racing." Things have come a long why since then, so I need to learn how to drive a small tire call all over again. I also need to learn how to set this car up and get my NHRA drivers licenses. So what I've decided to do, is put a small motor in it first, just to set everything up, learn the car, and get my drivers licenses. Oh I'll put something interesting in there to make it fun, but nothing over 1000 HP to start. What would that be?... 9-ish second car? 1000 HP @3400 lbs with a Glide... That should put me in the 9's somewhere... @ maybe 150 MPH. <(?) For this rookie, that's a good place to start.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Very nice work so far man.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1000 hp will go STRAIGHT into the 8's @3400lbs.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
1000 hp will go STRAIGHT into the 8's @3400lbs.
Are you sure? I'm talking about 1000 @ the flywheel, not the rear wheels.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

That car looks great. After you are all said and done you can get some side work fabbing up cages. Help offset that cost of the equipment.

That much power will get you into the 8's even with a 3400lb car.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

~Jim~
Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSmonster
Are you sure? I'm talking about 1000 @ the flywheel, not the rear wheels.
There is a local that has done it with about 900hp at the crank or so and 32-3300 pounds.....it took a lot of work though...
Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
That car looks great. After you are all said and done you can get some side work fabbing up cages. Help offset that cost of the equipment.

That much power will get you into the 8's even with a 3400lb car.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

~Jim~
Thanks! And yes, doing this sorta stuff for other folks is a plan (If it turns out well and there is a demand for it in my area) I already have TWO jobs, so I'll have to get more help if that happens. But right now, it's all about the "fun" of it.

Quick Reply: The Rookie vs. the 25.5 project.