Sponsored by:

Cage in a street car

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The main hoop can not be leaned back, it must be strait up and down, you will hit your head on the upper halo/bars, padding all of this area is a must.
I wasn't aware of this part of the rules. S&W Race Cars suggests leaning it to match the lines of the car in their cage installation instructions.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The main hoop doesn't have to be vertical. The rule book doesn't even say anything about main hoop angle. other then it can be laid back or forward. On a 25.X series cage i think the maximum you can lay it back is 20 degrees. The books are at the shop.

Last edited by promod1955; 12-23-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

couple more things. Some one asked about the max distance from back of helmet to front of main hoop, its 6". I hardly see this enforced though (not that it makes it right).

If your fab guy is decent at all, he can make the door bars fit to where you don't need swing outs.

While a flat door panel will give you more room to move the door bars over like JL said, Again if your fab guy is good he can easily work around factory door panels and you still have plenty of room. Lots of cars are built this way.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The guy I mentioned the flat panel to is about twice my size... believe me there's no way you're getting a bar between him and the door.... mine's done around the factory door and it's o.k. for me, but I'm not THAT big of a guy, bigger then alot of the jockey's that are on here but not that big
Old 12-24-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6ft 260 pound Bodybuilder, yeah Im pretty freaking big. I'm just going to go 10 point, and use the 5 point belts all the time. I'll keep the stock belts in case im pulled over. Swing outs are going to be a must, not looking for the swing feature I will just remove and store them on none track days.
Thanks
Jay
Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 10 point wolfe cage with swing out bars. Had a local guy add the swingout option, if you do in fact go with a 10, definately get the removable/swingout bars. I am 6' 230lbs, i kind of regret getting a 10 point. With the wolfe chromoly cage, i lean my head to the side and hit the padding, its annoying but i am used to it. Can't you get by with a roll bar and an unmodified firewall down to 10.0? That would have no bars by you right??
If I had to do it again I would probably look into that, there isnt much room stock and with a cage its kinda a nuisance. Realistically you wont get booted from a track unless you are repeatedly running mid 9's or better.

Just a thought.....
Old 12-24-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustang Hat'r 2
6ft 260 pound Bodybuilder, yeah Im pretty freaking big. I'm just going to go 10 point, and use the 5 point belts all the time. I'll keep the stock belts in case im pulled over. Swing outs are going to be a must, not looking for the swing feature I will just remove and store them on none track days.
Thanks
Jay
you might be better off not having the stock belts at all. so you have to use the harness (both side) there safter with you head no helmet on the hoop/halo... no airbags? .
And you don't show the visual of not wearing a "seatbelt"...
been pulled over a few times didnt say anything about "seatbelt" (had the 5point camlocks all I run)

check out a wolfe for a street car, ther really nice. The low door bars might not always be leagal but never seen then checked... put the seat back, and low.... lean back.. you can get your elbow under there if you see them checking...

I also thing swingouts are dumb, there cool to talk about how "nice" they will be on your upcoming rollbar/cage. But I don't know anyone that likes living with them, or would do them agian, after they rip cloths on the quick pins, and hitting the nubs with them out.

Ya there not that any specs for the layback, and tightness of the hoop. My fab. buddy knows this stuff, and told me all about this. The new 25.x stuff is finally spec'ing some things. But forever its just been a few tubes right around the driver, for saftey. You could do anything you wanted for outside that. Good things, and bad.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Studderin I'm right in henrietta. Theres actually a local guy that has a car that runs well.
Im shocked, never seen anything faster than high 12 out of 4th gens.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club

I have the wolfe 6 pt with swing outs in my car its been a easy adjustment for to get in and out of the car.My car sees alot of street duty im not as big as you 6' 165lbs but where i have my seat mounted its still a couple inches away from the main hoop and were both about the same height.I use a kirkey race seat in mine and there is no way your going to hit your head on the main hoop in my car.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Door bars with a 10 pt can be removable, and they have to be bent to fit around the door panels. The door bars get cut off and redone if you convert from a 6 to a 10, or if the guy does it right, he can weld on top of the meeting point on the plate, depends on how the guy does it.

The main hoop can not be leaned back, it must be strait up and down, you will hit your head on the upper halo/bars, padding all of this area is a must.

You can drive on the street with it, but make sure you're buckeled in tight at all times, 5 pt belts aren't legal on the street so don't hook in with those you have to leave the stock belts and the 5 pt's in place.
Your backseat, is 100% unusable once the 6 or 10 pt goes in as well.

Insurance, will most likly not like it should you end up in a crash, and if you hit your head and get hurt due to the cage, you may, or may not find them wanting to pay at that point.

It's a risk you take when caging a street car, but I'd much rather see people take this risk then go to the track and get kicked out, or worse wreck at the track without the safety stuff in place.

Not sure what part of NY you're in, but I can get you in touch with a good fab guy in CT if you need one.

Thats new to me, why are 5pt harnesses not street legal ? I'm just curious.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no DOT aproveale

Mustang Hat'r 2, what car is that? I'm a block away from RIT. Jason short lives right down the street here too. Theres a lot of LS1 guys out here, and on here too.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yours see 10''s in your sig. I know jason he actual bought my old TA and parted it out. Im doing research right now for the next build. Was hoping to get the raw car in spring and start. Think the wife is prego might be a 1 year delay now.
Jay

Originally Posted by studderin
no DOT aproveale

Mustang Hat'r 2, what car is that? I'm a block away from RIT. Jason short lives right down the street here too. Theres a lot of LS1 guys out here, and on here too.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

so can you keep your heater if you run a 10 point?
Old 12-25-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. The dash bar is out of the way of all of that stuff if your do it right
Old 12-26-2009, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

great man thanks

Quick Reply: Cage in a street car