Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Extreme WEIGHT REDUCTION list & questions inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
The only tow-point that i know of on the front is a hole in the lower a arm that they attach a hook and load binder to during transport.Good luck on your car.
so im guessing it cant be removed and part of the function or support of the A-arm

NHRA, what about double walled sheet metal? what is it referring to?

Thx for the support
Old 02-06-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beat up was the wrong word there, what i mean is ive seen some fbodies and rollers that just screamed track car. missing interior which your stirpping anyway, ya know junk like that...

but like i said hope all goes well with the project!
Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrob56
beat up was the wrong word there, what i mean is ive seen some fbodies and rollers that just screamed track car. missing interior which your stirpping anyway, ya know junk like that...

but like i said hope all goes well with the project!
ok, i gotcha. well i am leaving all my interior panels in and light weight carpet just missing my rear seats and swapping the front for race buckets and aftermarket wheel. i wouldnt wanna leave the panels out, then it would look like major *** on the interior
Old 02-06-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be hard for me to gut a really nice car. Thats why I didnt gut my WS6 and decided to instead buy a roller, but I found a screaming deal from a friend on my 98 Z28, drove it home for $1700 and sold everything I didnt need and got all my money back easily. The cars really are not collectable, but considering when I bought the WS6 over three years ago I paid $17k for it, then put tons of time and money in mods, I just couldnt cut it up.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
It would be hard for me to gut a really nice car. Thats why I didnt gut my WS6 and decided to instead buy a roller, but I found a screaming deal from a friend on my 98 Z28, drove it home for $1700 and sold everything I didnt need and got all my money back easily. The cars really are not collectable, but considering when I bought the WS6 over three years ago I paid $17k for it, then put tons of time and money in mods, I just couldnt cut it up.
wow! that is a deal! i paid 10K for mine 5 yrs ago with 75k miles. it now has 100k. which is another reason i didnt wanna spend over 5K in the build

now if i had an SS in top shape with low miles, i def wouldnt gut it. for my next build, i wanna low mileage SS in great shape to go internal on and put even more money into. as far as lightening it up, tubular suspension is in the build plan. no other weight reduction will be done to it
Old 02-06-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

people gave me **** for turning my car into a race car. Seriously my car has 0 rust on it and was MINT! Granted its a '94 z28 but it was beyond mint!! But i wanted a completly solid car to build on, not one with rotted out floors and rust all underneth it, needs paint etc. So like others on here, when im done with it it will still be minty as hell! Plus all that aside you look more like a "baller" when ure building a mint SS as opposed to a junkass v6 roller. And in the end if the car isnt as fast as you wanted it to be, well hell...at least it looks good! haha
Old 02-06-2010, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
people gave me **** for turning my car into a race car. Seriously my car has 0 rust on it and was MINT! Granted its a '94 z28 but it was beyond mint!! But i wanted a completly solid car to build on, not one with rotted out floors and rust all underneth it, needs paint etc. So like others on here, when im done with it it will still be minty as hell! Plus all that aside you look more like a "baller" when ure building a mint SS as opposed to a junkass v6 roller. And in the end if the car isnt as fast as you wanted it to be, well hell...at least it looks good! haha
yep! also, buying a roller, (right of hand) u never know whats wrong or whats missing. id much rather start off with a complete car with everything in it in good condition and then go from there and DECIDE what stays on the car and what goes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Well also having a peace of mind knowing that the car hasn't been in a accident and fixed by Earl-Shy body shop so it doesn't show up on a carfax! Back on topic here, post up some pics of ure car.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
Well also having a peace of mind knowing that the car hasn't been in a accident and fixed by Earl-Shy body shop so it doesn't show up on a carfax! Back on topic here, post up some pics of ure car.
yep, true also. here are some pics. not current...just outta my album. ill take currents tomorrow in daylight

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Good luck on the build man..I'm about to do the same with my car as well. Im shooting for a 3k race weight
Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by outtacontrolz28
Good luck on the build man..I'm about to do the same with my car as well. Im shooting for a 3k race weight
thx man. im shooting for as light as i can get it on stock rear and stock brakes and of course, not void structural integrity to where the car crumbles

sick lookin car by the way!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nemss1
thx man. im shooting for as light as i can get it on stock rear and stock brakes and of course, not void structural integrity to where the car crumbles

sick lookin car by the way!

Thanks..Do you plan on putting a cage in it?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by outtacontrolz28
Thanks..Do you plan on putting a cage in it?
i dont really want to but i suppose ill have to, to run it.....or, tell tech a bullshit 13 sec time, make an 11 sec pass, and deal with getting kicked out

a buddy of mine actually did that with his 10 sec Z28. he spit words of a bullshit time, ran without a cage, and got kicked out. got his timeslip tho
Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

yea, thats where i draw the line on weight reduction, don't think i could do that one
Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83

yea, thats where i draw the line on weight reduction, don't think i could do that one
why not? just curious what your against or afraid of

the edges will be grinded smooth and the holes will be welded shut
Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Teching In

hopefully someone will chime in. its been bugging me not knowing
I think the tow points you are talking about are on the sub frame straight down from the fire wall.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by malibu1979
I think the tow points you are talking about are on the sub frame straight down from the fire wall.
thats what i figured. thats what everyone else is saying also, so i guess that clears that question up.

wonder why they are listed on the weight list? thats a structural piece. maybe people who redo the whole floorboard, frame and such?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

why not? just curious what your afraid of
a rollover. that's what

don't get me wrong, i've taken a hole saw to inconsequential places, but i couldn't cut out that whole section. Yea, i understand its not finished and cleaned up in those pics.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea im cutting out the Ttop storage section and the drops to the left and right but im nervous to cut out the wheel wells to mini tub it.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

^now if its a track car only i would have no problem with the mini tubs. cut it up

Quick Reply: My Extreme WEIGHT REDUCTION list & questions inside.....