Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't see this before Eddie. Nice project! Best of luck with it.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil

The reason for the steel rod is I chose to work with Carrillo. I feel a steel rod will last a lot longer then a aluminum one. It also has a lot less stretch and movement going on. These should be well more then what is needed to handle 35 + LBS of boost as long as the tune-up is correct. We both understand how much that means in any motor. A turbo is really not that hard on the rod. More people think it would be worse but it always has a smoother and more even pressure load on it vs a NOS motor. Speaking to Carrillo they fell the turbo is not that hard on rods.

A lot of engine builders are going back to steel rod. Heck Pro Stock Car are running a 1.8 journal pin reving them to 10,600+ and have 0 issues. They were going through aluminum rods every 30-50 laps and now their are guys running the whole year on 1 set of steel rods with 100+ runs.

As for the reluctor wheel. I will not be using it to fire the motor but I can still put a sensor on it and do other things with it. It can come off very easy but shouldn't be in the way.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club

We have steel rods going in our new motor. Hell thats all we have ever had in any of our nitrous motors.

One day when we start spraying alot of nitrous maybe we will change to alum.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Default crank

be sure 2 weld that reluctor wheel ek! i was fighting blowed head gaskets after a head swap n finally burnta piston well come to find out the reluctor wheel moved about an inch! ask ryan @ rpm bout it 2 they killed a new 15000.00 dart block b/c of same thing! nice build btw! wantn 2 do same build motor wise got lsx block but 4.00 crank and 4.185 bore thinkn bout same heads like to see some pix!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3stgstocker
be sure 2 weld that reluctor wheel ek! i was fighting blowed head gaskets after a head swap n finally burnta piston well come to find out the reluctor wheel moved about an inch! ask ryan @ rpm bout it 2 they killed a new 15000.00 dart block b/c of same thing! nice build btw! wantn 2 do same build motor wise got lsx block but 4.00 crank and 4.185 bore thinkn bout same heads like to see some pix!
That was my plan as soon as I make sure it will clear everything. Thanks for looking out.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie Krawiec
That was my plan as soon as I make sure it will clear everything. Thanks for looking out.
Which engine management system with the reluctor wheel?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Which engine management system with the reluctor wheel?
I will be using a external wheel. I just have the one on the crank incase I ever wanted to use it for something down the road.

To tell you the truth I'm kinda unsure on that. I had a Magneti Marelli unit I was going to use but I'm still not sure on it yet.

I have looking at the Motec M800 or Big Stuff. Their are +'s and -'s for each unit. I also have 1 or 2 other options of working with some very high end stuff but I don't know if I have time needed to really help them get up and going. I will really need to get moving soon on it since I want to run this thing on the dyno by November.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will be using a external wheel. I just have the one on the crank incase I ever wanted to use it for something down the road.

To tell you the truth I'm kinda unsure on that. I had a Magneti Marelli unit I was going to use but I'm still not sure on it yet.

I have looking at the Motec M800 or Big Stuff. Their are +'s and -'s for each unit. I also have 1 or 2 other options of working with some very high end stuff but I don't know if I have time needed to really help them get up and going. I will really need to get moving soon on it since I want to run this thing on the dyno by November.
If I had to do it over, it would be a Motec or a Micks performance. You'll be good either way you go.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

BigStuff 3 is simple and has extensive interface capability. I looked at the Motec but it's just not that prevalent in the drag racing community and, suffice to say, not that easy to get support for. Give John Meany a call. He'll set you up. Will you be running an EGT setup? Racepak?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by barkingspud
BigStuff 3 is simple and has extensive interface capability. I looked at the Motec but it's just not that prevalent in the drag racing community and, suffice to say, not that easy to get support for. Give John Meany a call. He'll set you up. Will you be running an EGT setup? Racepak?
You are correct about the Big Stuff being easy to use. I also do know the Motec stuff since that is what we run on our Pro Stock Motorcycle. I also really like the fact that Motec has a data-logger built into it. I just hate the having to put a bunch of boxes and sensors then having to download 3 boxes to look at. That turns into a pain and not to mention all the added weight.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Damn!! Its gonna be just as sexy inside the motor as the outside of the car!! Amazing build!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

You are correct about the Big Stuff being easy to use. I also do know the Motec stuff since that is what we run on our Pro Stock Motorcycle. I also really like the fact that Motec has a data-logger built into it. I just hate the having to put a bunch of boxes and sensors then having to download 3 boxes to look at. That turns into a pain and not to mention all the added weight.
Eddie, BS3 has an internal data logger. Just configure the stuff you want to log with a PC, enable logging and away you go. Or as an alternative, get the BS3 with the CAN bus and log everything with a Racepak.

In all reality the MOTEC is in a completely different league than the BS3 but for the purposes of drag racing BS3 is a pretty good choice.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Well I must say it really feel's like Christmas, but in July.

Today I got some more of the parts I have been waiting for. The first thing I got is the base of the whole motor build.

My new RHS Block fully machined by Weston Machine in NJ. Charlie is know for doing some of the best machine work bar none. He machines almost every NHRA Pro Stock car block out their. He also does a lot of LS stuff. So anyone looking for machine work check him out at http://www.westonmachine.com. Here are some pictures and what I had done.

The RHS block

Side Shot

Cylinder Shot

Under Side

O-Ring Done

Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Launching!

I also had Weston Machine do the bushed lifter bores to run the Keyed .937 Jesel Lifters. When it comes to lifters they are the best. I will be using 8 center and 8 offset .150 to make sure the push rod angle stays stright.

Take a look.

Bushings from the side

Picture from the top

Box of lifters

Lifter Shot

Last edited by Eddie Krawiec; 07-30-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Launching!

After I got the block I learned that no one offered a belt drive system for the RHS block. Since I was already working with the Danny Jesel and Bob McDonald from Jesel I had them build a belt drive set-up for me. This system is now offered as a stock item and anyone can call up and buy one.

Their is some machine work required to make the back plate work but it is well worth it. I just can't trust a chain spinning this thing at 9,000 + RPM. Here are some pictures of the very first Jesel RHS Belt Drive.

Back Plate

Machined Block for plate to fit

Belt Drive Set-Up with cogs

Belt Drive shown with optional distributor Set-up

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Launching!

I have a few more items but everyone will just have to wait until I find a little more time to get them up. I plan to try and update everyone as much as I can. Thanks for following.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

Damn, that stuff looks bitchin!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eddie - with all due respect...

I hate you.

But seriously - thanks for making the move with Jesel, the belt drive will definately be something man people will benefit from having an off the shelf source.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:00 AM

Very nice build Eddie
Old 08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Damn pro racers get all the cool stuff. lol. Looks amazing!!

Quick Reply: 25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build