Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop spindles and drag brakes...what's everyone like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the first set he made, on my car, in my garage. wait was well worth it. pics will be
up in time!
Originally Posted by ninetres
I'm not sure if I'm missing the midwest chassis joke or what???? Does anyone actually have any pics of his set-up? Or is it a big joke or something? Its seems like a lot of people in here are swinging on how great his stuff is.......but are all saying it takes months to get, or that they are still waiting for their parts. I, personally, am not into waiting months for parts.

Did I miss something? Fill me in.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea the wait time sucks but that just means everyone wants his stuff and he's kinda a one-man-band with a few helpers. The inside joke is there are actually pics on the internet "somewhere" but I'm not gonna tell if he doesn't want um out on this site. Iv seen all the stuff there last weekend and its not ure average stuff. Let's say its "inovation" at its finest.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Some people just do not get it.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I get it now. He is not ready to start cranking these out for potential customers yet......so he doesn't want pics up. That makes since.

I am anxious to see how "innovative" his spindles are. I can't see how they would be soooooo much diff than the others that are out.

Steve--I would love to pull the trigger today but I just dropped almost $800 on my front control arms. I will see how my paycheck looks tomorrow. At least, I'm sure I could put a %50 deposit down......like a short layaway if that would work
Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Works for me. For 800.00 I hope you got upper and lower not just one or the other.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
Works for me. For 800.00 I hope you got upper and lower not just one or the other.
Perfect. I will call you tomorrow or Friday. Gotta drop the check in the bank, and figure out what heigth I need too. And after that I'll pay it off in 2 weeks.

I got UMI upper and lowers, all cromoly, lowers are adjustable. Also all new ball joints. It was like $740ish to my door. Its hard to beat one of those catalog order sites when you use your NHRA driver discount, with $10 flat shipping
Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 PM
7 Second Club

Perfect. I will call you tomorrow or Friday. Gotta drop the check in the bank, and figure out what heigth I need too. And after that I'll pay it off in 2 weeks.

I got UMI upper and lowers, all cromoly, lowers are adjustable. Also all new ball joints. It was like $740ish to my door. Its hard to beat one of those catalog order sites when you use your NHRA driver discount, with $10 flat shipping
i'd do a .5" drop.... thats all you really need for a stock suspension car on small tires..... MAYBE a 1" drop... at the most.... just my opinion... i had a 2" drop and went back to a no drop spindle...
Old 04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
i'd do a .5" drop.... thats all you really need for a stock suspension car on small tires..... MAYBE a 1" drop... at the most.... just my opinion... i had a 2" drop and went back to a no drop spindle...
Thats kinda what I was thinking.....stock heigth, or 1" tops. When I first put the coil-overs in my front end looked like a '64 impala lol. I have the adjusters about 80% of more towards the top.

I LOVE the look of a "low" drag car though, so if I can get the correct geometry up front with these spindles, and switch my rear springs to 2.5" coil over springs, with the adjuster-mo-bob welded up top......I think I can get the car to sit low, and still hook.

I'll chat with Steve about this in the next couple days. I'm stoked to knock like 100lbs off the nose of my car (spindles, brakes, control arms)
Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

I am anxious to see how "innovative" his spindles are. I can't see how they would be soooooo much diff than the others that are out.

If you don't have anything that MWC makes then you do not get it. I have worked with the best fabricators in Nascar and Eric's stuff is still the best I have ever seen period. No one is hanging on anything. But that is ok you run your UMI stuff. Let us know how that works out for you.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
If you don't have anything that MWC makes then you do not get it. I have worked with the best fabricators in Nascar and Eric's stuff is still the best I have ever seen period. No one is hanging on anything. But that is ok you run your UMI stuff. Let us know how that works out for you.

a agree with Erics quality and as far as innovation goes, its not so much as "redesigning" them but more of WHAT hes using i guess. I will be selling all my UMI/Racecraft stuff as soon as i get my car in my garage and it can sit for the time being. Dont get me wrong, Burkharts stuff is real nice and why i got my cage done by them and seen there work too. But to be the devils advocate, it does take some time to get Eric's stuff but IMO WELL worth the wait Im no nut swinger either, i just want the best my hard earned money can buy and thats why its goin to MWC.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

LOLz. UMI stuff must not work. Please enlighten me on why not, and post pics of his control arms that are so much better.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Your the one that spent $800 for uppers and lowers that are heavier not me. I have seen and weighed UMI stuff before. If I wanted to lift weights I would go to the gym. LOL Not bashing anyones stuff here. Like said above my money is going on the right stuff that's all. You buy what you want and I will do what I like. You strted with the nut swinging stuff, remember that not us.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 AM
10 Second Club

I'll chat with Steve about this in the next couple days. I'm stoked to knock like 100lbs off the nose of my car (spindles, brakes, control arms)
100lbs how you coming up with that weight...

the arms only drop 7-8lbs total...so drag brakes and spindles are going to drop 93 lbs...I highly doubt it...considering on pa racings site they claim stock brakes and spindles weigh 97 lb total...

so your weight drop is more near 65lbs at most
Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd be interested to see the weight's on his parts, first person that gets this setup, please post up some weights, and if possible use a good scale. I know what alot of stuff weigh's (3rd gen brakes from strange and aerospace for example) so a whole assembled spindle is fine, but please put the K member, and upper/lower a arms on the scale, I'm curious what they weigh.

Also, when you get the k member in the car, please take some pictures of it, especially the clearance around the oil pan, I'm interested about the clearance there, wether you could drop the pan out with the engine in the car, or have a substantially larger pan made to increase your wet sump oil capacity so that the pan getting sucked dry is no longer a possibility.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
7 Second Club

at some point weight does influence integrity... i'm not saying MWC's is that way but when there are several capable/good companies out there (racecraft, burkhart) making good product that weigh about the same.... somethings up....

everyone knows we want the lightest **** possible but when we come down from a bumper scraper we also dont want our high dollar parts looking like a pretzel....

like i said guys do your homework before spending big $$$ on parts that people wont post pictures of before you buy them...

atleast get some OD and ID specs on tubing used.

i've had both racecrafts and burkharts spindle both in my hands... the racecraft piece is VERY well built and sturdy, it wouldnt bother me at all to put that **** on a daily driver. the burkhart piece is a bit lighter and for a racecar... i can vouch for both pieces being a well built and having integrity..... now if you made the burkhart a few pounds lighter i'd be concerned with integrity..... just a FYI
Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Good point. We could make things a lot lighter. They would not survive well but would be the lightest stuff out. We build for high HP cars and as such have a number of them running our stuff. They place stress on parts like a 9 or 10 second car will not.

Just something tio consider when you choose a partner for your parts.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
100lbs how you coming up with that weight...

the arms only drop 7-8lbs total...so drag brakes and spindles are going to drop 93 lbs...I highly doubt it...considering on pa racings site they claim stock brakes and spindles weigh 97 lb total...

so your weight drop is more near 65lbs at most
Sorry, my list is incomplete. Ive taken a lot more off the nose this off season......intercooloer, meth kit, and other random parts/metal.

And 03 busa: Do you have MWC control arms yourself? Please post pics of them and list weights. Thanks

And how do you guys figure I am a nutswinger???? Here is my suspension breakdown:
--PA K member/rack
--Strange DA shocks all around
--UMI front control arms
--Soon to be Burkhart spindles/brakes
--MADMAN tq arm
--Wolfe LCAs, panhard, drag bar

^^^^Looks like I am guilty of being more of a brand ***** than a nut swinger to me
Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
Good point. We could make things a lot lighter. They would not survive well but would be the lightest stuff out. We build for high HP cars and as such have a number of them running our stuff. They place stress on parts like a 9 or 10 second car will not.

Just something tio consider when you choose a partner for your parts.
That's why yours went on my sled
Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Sideways240sx if you have Erics parts, you have any weight of his stuff. if not ripp that car apart again and weight it lol. Streetable?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Spindles less than 7 each
uppers and lowers less than 2.

Quick Reply: Drop spindles and drag brakes...what's everyone like?