Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop spindles and drag brakes...what's everyone like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric dropped off my front suspension last thursday, which was the first production setup. But mine is made for a motorplate car. I have to say it looks very very nice. I mocked it up in the car friday morning and then I dropped it off for powder coat on sat morning. I'm hoping to have it back tomorrow or wednesday. Mine turned out different than the prototype as we added tubes in the front for towing/winching into trailer and also integrated the manual rack mount into this. It came out better than expected and should be going down the track soon.

The total weight for the following-

- K-member with extra tubing for tow hook and custom rack mount
- Upper A-arms with heim joints
- Lower A-arms with heim joints
- Complete Spindles
- Flaming River Steering Rack
- Custom Steering shaft with joints and all hardware
- Complete Strange front Brake kit (rotors, pads, calipers, wheel hub assembly, hardware)
- All hardware (k-member bolts, a-arm bolts, spindle hardware, shock hardware, steering rack hardware, etc.) Every bolt for the whole front end was included in this weight.

Total weight of everything above for the front suspension was 90.5 lbs. I'm happy to have lost some weight over my old BMR setup.

We added all this up since NO other company includes the small things in their front end weights.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SMKN TA 95
Eric dropped off my front suspension last thursday, which was the first production setup. But mine is made for a motorplate car. I have to say it looks very very nice. I mocked it up in the car friday morning and then I dropped it off for powder coat on sat morning. I'm hoping to have it back tomorrow or wednesday. Mine turned out different than the prototype as we added tubes in the front for towing/winching into trailer and also integrated the manual rack mount into this. It came out better than expected and should be going down the track soon.

- Complete Spindles
- Complete Strange front Brake kit (rotors, pads, calipers, wheel hub assembly, hardware)
- All hardware (k-member bolts, a-arm bolts, spindle hardware, shock hardware, steering rack hardware, etc.) Every bolt for the whole front end was included in this weight.

Total weight of everything above for the front suspension was 90.5 lbs. I'm happy to have lost some weight over my old BMR setup.

We added all this up since NO other company includes the small things in their front end weights.
How muc did you save over your BMR set up? Just the BMR vs Midwest stuff......noit including the brakes and steering componets.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMKN TA 95

- Complete Spindles

Yea, i wanted a tow hook on mine. It was kinda rushed since i needed the car back, and he was not sure on how to do it.. But he watched me load my car onto the trailer to see how, and where he would do one. I just threw an axles strap around the k, and it worked perfect.. other then that, i bet there about the same setup.

Chris
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

****! that's light!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone ever weigh their stock setups?? 90.5 lbs with extra bars is insane. Can't wait for my setup.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club

I can't do a tow hook on my K-member because the strap/cable would pull up on my front bumper. I can't see how you guys do it unless your trailer is super low or something.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Well no matter what you do chances are the cable will hit the bumper for a while (until you get the wheels on the ramps). You cant do anything about that no matter what the set up. So you can drive it on, push it on, or winch it on and deal with it.

Sean
Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 PM
9 Second Club

I am going to have something fabbed that peeks out my grille. Or maybe pops out my bumper on the flat part in front of the headlight.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We have done tow hooks on our bumper supports. They are standard on our K Member.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no rocket science about tow hooks... its all just a matter of where someone wants it placed on the k-member. we can do them on the uprights of the main loop or under the rack.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Any updates on the MWC setup? On track testing ect??
Old 05-17-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA

Was out testing this past weekend with Erics new front suspension setup. The car has never driven straighter nor easier to drive. His stuff is very very nice.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know why with the Racecraft 2" drop spindles you have to run Strange front brakes for a 3rd gen f body ??
Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TAHOE5.3
Does anyone know why with the Racecraft 2" drop spindles you have to run Strange front brakes for a 3rd gen f body ??

I think there are a few reasons: it's easier to produce the spindle, the third gen brakes are much cheaper, and the overall package is lighter. You can get the racecraft spindle and strange third gen brakes for a little more than just the cost of the fourth gen brakes alone.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

But is there a difference I have Strange front brakes already and I bought some Racecraft drop spindles. Now I'm thinking they won't work together
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

But is there a difference I have Strange front brakes already and I bought some Racecraft drop spindles. Now I'm thinking they won't work together
Yes they mount completely different. The third gen style have a hub assembly with inner/outer roller bearings that slip over the shaft on the spindle and is held on by a nut & washer(like most older GM RWD vehicles). The fourth gen uses a hub assembly with a large single bearing pressed into an assembly that bolts directly to the spindle in lieu of a shaft design. The calipers and rotors may be the same, but the hub and caliper mount bracket are not.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

thanks, I guess I might be selling a Strange 4th gen front brake assembly.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA

Another update, I went 8.53 @ 162 this past weekend on my one test pass. I will be out again this coming weekend I think. Everything is doing great so far...
Old 06-09-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, I guess I might be selling a Strange 4th gen front brake assembly.
Where did you find a strange 4th gen brake assembly, do you have a link?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SuperC1
Where did you find a strange 4th gen brake assembly, do you have a link?
http://www.madmanandcoracing.com/sho...spx?itemid=117

Quick Reply: Drop spindles and drag brakes...what's everyone like?