Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I skip the 11,10s,9s and buy my buddys 8 second car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That's ALOT of car... I'd suggest if you buy it, definitely turn it WAY back, and don't even think abotu spraying it for at least the first YEAR.

That will probably go a bottom 9 on motor I'd bet, at leats 9.50, that's alot of car to just jump in. I'd pull all the timing, until it will just do a good burnout, and not even think about a nitrous bottle until you have it under control n/a

Jumping from a 12 second car to an 8 second car, you better buy a coffin with the car cause that's gonna be a real good way to get hurt/killed, last thing I want to read about is something like that happening!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that car is beautiful.

If you're looking to get into something like this then I'm guessing you may not find a nicer car for the price.

Like many have said, you don't need to jump straight to the eights. Take your time and get familiar with the car. You know your limitaions better then anybody else.

I'm jealous,

~Jim~
Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car is nice as hell, but what do you plan on doing with it. Since it isn't stock suspension that cuts out some of the newer classes and almost all radial classes. I would check the rules on your local classes to see if the car fits in, because if it doesn't you might end up with a high priced bracket racer.

But I would buy it as a roller and then build a turbo LS motor, I believe this car would be legal in Limited Street if you were interested in something like that.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Race your car!

Ladder bar setups are allowed in alot of classes, I don't think you'd have a hard time finding a class you could run that car in.

What's the asking price too?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That's ALOT of car... I'd suggest if you buy it, definitely turn it WAY back, and don't even think abotu spraying it for at least the first YEAR.

That will probably go a bottom 9 on motor I'd bet, at leats 9.50, that's alot of car to just jump in. I'd pull all the timing, until it will just do a good burnout, and not even think about a nitrous bottle until you have it under control n/a

Jumping from a 12 second car to an 8 second car, you better buy a coffin with the car cause that's gonna be a real good way to get hurt/killed, last thing I want to read about is something like that happening!
If this had not already been posted, I would have been saying this myself.

If anyone recalls the "Kerminator" and the clowns at TTP basically destroying it will understand, it is A LOT of car to step into.

EDIT

This was all I could find on the Web about the car which is sad.....

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 04-09-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

the car is nice as hell, but what do you plan on doing with it. Since it isn't stock suspension that cuts out some of the newer classes and almost all radial classes. I would check the rules on your local classes to see if the car fits in, because if it doesn't you might end up with a high priced bracket racer.
The car was made for Extreme street.

I know this is way too much car for me and I would not even dream (well maybe) about spraying it. I have been in a couple 9sec passes in the car and almost **** myself!! I would more than likely learn to drive in it slowly and then maybe race later after I feel comfortable. Never raced in any events so that would be new, but this car is just so badass that I would be happy with it in my garage and going to test and tune.

I have my firehawk that I would like to build up to a fun drag radial car (10sec).

So this would just be the cats meow waiting in the garage to learn how to drive it...

Price is up there...way up there..

If anyone recalls the "Kerminator" and the clowns at TTP basically destroying it will understand, it is A LOT of car to step into.
What happened with the kerminator?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by logicsound

What happened with the kerminator?
From what I understand after the car go half destroyed, it was fixed but never right. TTP from what I understand do not sponsor here any more, but maybe a call to them would shed light.

I know someone here personally saw the car after it was fixed and commented how much of a mess it still was.

Just simply put a car set up for not alot of power that worked well and tossing in a large cube motor and going off trans brake the FIRST run and putting it on the bumper is what JL is stabbing at.

If you get it, learn the car.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^THIS. I agree. Sick car but definitly need to de-tune the engine and run it on a mild N/A setup for a long time. Many of my friends own 11 second cars and **** THEIR PANTS when I take them for a WOT blast on a back country road.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Experience can not be bought or taught.
Stuff happens fast, and nothing beats experience.
Sometimes a split second makes the difference between being in the wall, on the roof, or coming back for another pass. If you pull the trigger, good luck & be careful.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

Experience can not be bought or taught.
Stuff happens fast, and nothing beats experience.
Sometimes a split second makes the difference between being in the wall, on the roof, or coming back for another pass. If you pull the trigger, good luck & be careful.

amen to that.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Its a lot easier and cheaper to dial a car back and make it slower than to rebuild it every time to make it as fast as that puppy. If you have the time to dedicate to a racecar like that go for it. But I would start out bracket racing it in whatever it will do n/a for a couple of seasons and then move up on a small shot the next season if your comfortable with it and so on.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Teching In

I'd buy it. Not only would it help your friend out, but you would have you one hell of a car!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

car looks great. Has some very nice pieces on it. Im sure you can buy it for way cheaper then it would cost to duplicate it. Like everyone said, just start slow. Don't have to wait to have it built either. If you like it and have the funds to get it, go for it.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
If this had not already been posted, I would have been saying this myself.

EDIT

This was all I could find on the Web about the car which is sad.....

I finally agree with you, they hacked the **** outta it too...
Old 04-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Race your car!

Hacked and destroyed that car.

Of course, you take a h/c motor out and put a 418 in with the same 5500 converter for the h/c motor, and make zero suspension adjustment that's what happens. Worst part is that they stood it up the first pass got really lucky not to wreck it, then put it RIGHT back in to the lanes, changed nothing and did it again, 2nd time around, it 12 o'clocked itself, and the driver hit the brakes... nose came down so hard it bent the frame, broke the block, tranny case, put the shocks thru the top of the shock towers, broke every front suspension piece too. Car was destroyed, and I saw it afterwards... to the point that you can't make that right.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it!! I would definately take my time and go slow for a long time!! I had a hard time not pissing myself when I went 9.19 in the passenger seat so I am a long ways away from the drivers seat, I will keep you guys updated on what I decide to do.

Thanks
T
Old 04-10-2010, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

If you have the cash and time buy it!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

another thing is you might not even want to start with full passes, even on motor. start by making a couple 60ft's, a few 330's, run it to the 1/8th, then run it to 1000, and if you're getting comfortable all the way out the back door.

this is going to take a few outings, and is actually very similar to the way that you get your license for NHRA
Old 04-11-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Hacked and destroyed that car.

Of course, you take a h/c motor out and put a 418 in with the same 5500 converter for the h/c motor, and make zero suspension adjustment that's what happens. Worst part is that they stood it up the first pass got really lucky not to wreck it, then put it RIGHT back in to the lanes, changed nothing and did it again, 2nd time around, it 12 o'clocked itself, and the driver hit the brakes... nose came down so hard it bent the frame, broke the block, tranny case, put the shocks thru the top of the shock towers, broke every front suspension piece too. Car was destroyed, and I saw it afterwards... to the point that you can't make that right.
i remember seeing pics of the car but not the aftermath
Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Buy it and pull the kit off for the first few months, then put a super safe tuneup in it and run that for a bit. I have made the whole walk of life from 14.50's to 8.40's. Its amazing how much faster 8.40 feels than 9.50. **** happens VERY quick at 160mph. Hell, you're already clippin along at 130 by the 1/8th!

Quick Reply: Should I skip the 11,10s,9s and buy my buddys 8 second car?