Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I skip the 11,10s,9s and buy my buddys 8 second car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
^^^THIS. I agree. Sick car but definitly need to de-tune the engine and run it on a mild N/A setup for a long time. Many of my friends own 11 second cars and **** THEIR PANTS when I take them for a WOT blast on a back country road.
This is no joke. I've taken a few people for ride in my car at a measly 8psi, which runs ~9.40's on that boost, and they are straigh clung to the cage screaming HOLY ****!!!! People just don't realize the kind of raw power you feel in cars like that.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy it like everyone is saying run it on motor and get used too it then start stepping up a little at a time. You will get there just takes seat time.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm the strange one that lives by the ol saying "built not bought"

buy it if you want but i get more satisfaction seeing my own **** make its way down the track instead of someone elses work.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

I hear ya reject but If I can get a 100k plus car for less than half I would be stupid to say no and then build one myself, besides not many people build there own **** when you get into a car like this, Its more like... send your car to this guy so he can fab this then send it to this guy so he can fab that and on and on and 100k and 2 years later you have a car.

I have the firehawk for the "seeing my own **** make it done the track" lol
Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Well put. How many guys with a fast car truly fast build it themselves, 5-6?? 10-20??
At a certain point it's a lot more intelligent to let the experts do what they know best.

Another thought, if this is a low 8 second car, you need a license.
You need to find 2 guys to help you anyway, plus the track manager should not sign off
if you look iffy during your runs. Listen to them, go help them race,
and pay more attention to the details. Not just watch the car go down the track.
Watch them get the car down the track.

Hopefully you take it slow enough so you learn to react properly,
without having to think and analyze every move you make when needed.
As the old saying goes, don't be a hero, lift and race another day.
Use the chute, it works for more than slowing down.

Good luck, and before you know it, you will have the experience to teach
the next guy how to run his car.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say buy it without the nuke engine and put a 408 LSx in there to start with.

Last edited by 1CAMWNDR; 04-15-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

My vote is let it go. You admit that you don't know how to work on it + carbureted motors are finicky, requiring adjustments pretty regularly. Even if you bought it rolling, it sounds like a big jump for you. I have a carbureted sbc Chevy II that I am always working on....always. It's the reason I bought a fuel injected street car (99 T/A). I have had 3 times more fun in the street car because it is a reliable racer that I don't have to work on all the time. In short, pass on the race car for now. JMHO
Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

I would only suggest buying it without the motor if $600 valve springs scare you. Thats just basic maintance and way more expensive items will pop up.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The price certainly is right, but be careful and take your time learning the car.
I will be doing shake down passes in my own car this spring, but I have never even had a ride in a single digit car before.
PLUS, being a self built turbo car, I want to take my sweet *** time dialing in the suspension, transbrake, tune, etc.
I have a family to support which is WAY more important than a hero timeslip.
Although I have not had a car this fast before, I do have a solid understanding of mechanical engineering and have raced drag bikes in the 9's before.
My plan is like others have suggested.
I will run it to 60ft a bunch of times to get used to the power and dial in the suspension for a straight launch.
Then, I will work my way down track as I feel it is safe to do so. No sooner.

Good luck, and be safe.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys for all the advice and comments. I have decided that I am going to pass on the car and get something else. I have the firehawk for a nice dd and I will get something else to build for drag only.

Have a lot of friends into drag racing and they always seemed to have more fun in the 11ss and 10s then the 9s and 8s...less **** breaking, less money, more time driving!! Everytime one of my friends got into the 9s or 8s it was like we spent more time in the garage and less time at the track having fun!!

I will be listing the car for sale in the classifieds in a couple days so you can see the price finally!!!

Once again thanks again!!
T
Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

Wrenching is half the fun IMO, but I hear what your sayin! Good luck on finding a new project!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

I have never understood how people can put so much effort into a project and then sell it or lose interest. What is your friend moving on to?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
I have never understood how people can put so much effort into a project and then sell it or lose interest. What is your friend moving on to?

Its very easy. After sending 10's of thousands of dollars, you kinda get sick of it.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Or you have family crap that screws up all your time.

Or you get sick of needing 3 people to go with every time.

Or you get sick of all the maintenance/breakage.

Or you get sick to your stomach every time you think of all the dough sitting there in the truck,
trailer, car, spares, equipment, certifications, license, other NHRA crap ect ect.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by logicsound
Thanks guys for all the advice and comments. I have decided that I am going to pass on the car and get something else. I have the firehawk for a nice dd and I will get something else to build for drag only.

Have a lot of friends into drag racing and they always seemed to have more fun in the 11ss and 10s then the 9s and 8s...less **** breaking, less money, more time driving!! Everytime one of my friends got into the 9s or 8s it was like we spent more time in the garage and less time at the track having fun!!

I will be listing the car for sale in the classifieds in a couple days so you can see the price finally!!!

Once again thanks again!!
T
bingo!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

plus...the faster you go...the less time you actually spend driving the car

I'll say that my car was about the most boring thing ever to drive...it only was a "handful" a very few select times...even then it just blew the tires off at about 60-100' into the run...nothing major

I'm hoping that the addition of 500+ more hp will change that
Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 PM
7 Second Club

its not just the racecars that cost so much... aquiring all the tools, trailer, truck, you have as much in the other stuff as you do the actuall car if not more...

not to mention 20$/gal gas and nitrous and winter time refresh... aluminum rods about 1500$ a set... the list never ends and the money never stays.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Tools LOL. Don't even get me started. I just spend a G getting power TO my garage, now I have to wire it, then buy a welder, chop saw, tubing notcher, belt sander and a tubing bender... if I am gonna do it all myself.

Might give it a go though... I have a lead on where I might be able to snag some of the tools somewhat cheap from an older guy that's pretty much retired, so if I can get a bunch of it from him it will be alot cheaper. Just have to get in touch with him and go check the stuff out, best part, is my buddy was telling me he offered to teach someone how to use everything right before they take everything away... which would be killer.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

Another thought, if this is a low 8 second car, you need a license.
You need to find 2 guys to help you anyway, plus the track manager should not sign off
if you look iffy during your runs. Listen to them, go help them race,
and pay more attention to the details. Not just watch the car go down the track.
Watch them get the car down the track.

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to point that out.

Quick Reply: Should I skip the 11,10s,9s and buy my buddys 8 second car?