Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I skip the 11,10s,9s and buy my buddys 8 second car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I skip the 11,10s,9s and buy my buddys 8 second car?

So I have a chance to get a GREAT deal on my best friends racecar but I have never been faster than 11.50 in a car (me driving) so this is a huge step. Car runs low 8s but can go faster

I know this is not a lsx motor car but everyone here has always been real honest and helpful so I figured I would ask you guys what you think.

Is this too big a step? should I just get it and limit it until I feel comfortable?

Pics here and details below.

here are the details from him

Car ran very low eights with no problem and power to spare at 3250 lbs.

Current weight (lexan rear window) of car ready to run with one NOS bottle and all fluids is around 2850 (no driver).

25.5 Chassis and assembly by KTS Race Cars in Romeo Michigan.

Custom ladder bar rear suspension,

Custom front K member and control arms all built by KTS.

Mark WIlliams brakes.

Custom 9" built by KTS with internal and external bracing, and aluminum center section.

AFCO double adjustable shocks front and rear with several sets of springs.

Carbon Fiber rear hatch,

VanOverbeek cowl hood.

Currently has Percy rear lexan window which lightened up car quite a bit, and I have original window as well.

All fuel lines are light weight Pro Classic black fuel lines

Magnafuel Pro 500 pump.

Custom carb tray and ram air system for dominator.

Stroud parachute system.

American Racing Pro Series Wheels. 15 x 12 double bedlock rears, and 15 x 3.5 front runners.

M/T tires all around.
Currently running 29.5 x 10.5 M/T slicks or 315 M/T drag radials, but wheel wells will fit W tires if desired.

has real HID headlights that put out intense blue glow, very bright. These are not the fake blue bulbs, but actual HID system with ballasts mounted on chassis.

Interior
Interior is custom done with suede head liner, door skins, and leather seat covers over Kirky aluminum seats.
Stroud seat belts.

Carbon fiber and leather inserts everywhere.

3 port Fire System,

RacePak V300SD included with dual air/fuel meters in dash and lots of sensors on engine and exhaust.

NOS Launcher with LCD screen,
MSD Digital 7, 7531.

Dual NOS billet bottle mounts,

Dual battery mounts.

Engine and Transmission
Powerglide transmission, and Neal Chance converter.

Engine is full house 23 degree 400 inch small block Chevy by Mike Moran at Moran Motorsports. Built specifically for NMCA Xtreme Street with single fogger. Intake custom plumbed for dual foggers by Nitrous Supply,.

This car is custom painted, and all graphics are airbrushed, not stickers or wrap. The underneath of the car is painted the same color as the top. Roll cage also custom pained. Every part on car is either painted to match, powder coated, or chromed. Nothing overlooked.

Thanks for any replys !!
T
Old 04-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

If you get it, I would very very limit yourself like to 10 second runs just to get use to the feeling, becuase 9's and 8's are movin', and when you going that fast at I'm sure around 140+MPH it doesn't take much of a rookie mistake to say hello to the wall.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 PM
8 Second Club

That is a baddass car, very clean. Depending on the price, it might be a better value then building a car.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Usually its cheaper to buy a car already built but i would work my way into the 9's takes a driver that knows what hes doing to go that fast.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

WOW that is one sick car. I know if I had an chance to get it I def would. Just have to take your time and be very patient with getting used to the power.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

It is crazy badass!!, I would almost be afraid to drive it (not the speed, the dirt!), It would probably just sit under a cover..lol.

I forgot about these videos I put together for him last year (I made them in like 10mins so know bashing my video editing skills!!..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUEAMlA6zlo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9ERNWYN9gs
Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could learn to drive it without nitrous. Tens seem very different to me than elevens. I think most of us should forget about eights.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

That underbody is clean enough to eat off of!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Yes thats true, I will have to ask him what it runs on motor.

There's also the option to buy the car without the engine that I am thinking about, maybe put my slow as LS1 in it from the firehawk!!LOLOLOL!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Clean car, would love to make a purchase like that one day. all the hard work is done, But low 8s better get that racecar insurance.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

if you have the money and or the price is right id do it, but limit the car to just motor passes or something until you get used to it... 11.50 - 8's is a gigantic step
Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you buy it buy a new dash pad...

and drive it on motor for a while...then 100 shot 200 ect move up
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HUGE Step... If he is willing to give you pointers (not that it will help in a split decision moment) but that would play into it.
Start on motor and work your way up. Maybe tune it down even for a little bit. Looking at the sky the first 60' is not easy. He knows his car, you don't.

What is the price out of curiosity?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me it wouldn't be a question of whether you think you can drive it or not, but a question of do you have the know how/ equipment and time to race and maintain a car like that.

Do you have the time to devote to racing and competing as well as time to work on the car? Do you have a trailer big enough for the car and everything else (tools, tires etc)? Do you know enough to or have a buddy who can work on it and make adjustments at the track as need be? Do you have enough tools to keep a car like this on the track?

If you know your ****, have the $ race it, have the time to go racing and work on it, I say go for it.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd drive it

Like stoverz28 said though, make sure you got the time and tools more than anything.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

wow that thing is beautiful. if i were you i would get it without the motor. and make it a lsx car. like every1 said start slow. thats like going from a geo metro to a zr1 lol
Old 04-09-2010, 02:00 AM
TECH Veteran

get it or kick urself in ur *** when someone else buys it.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I would do it, and slow the thing way back.

It's cheaper, faster and you'll have more fun. I've been spending forever trying to get my slow car together. PLUS if you plan to race a lot, run in a fast class, but try and scale it back to be the slowest car. Those dragsters (most) have a hard time catching up to the slow car and playing games at the line.

What does he want for such a beautiful piece? Not like I have the money anyways!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

you could put a throttle stop on it and take it in steps until you can run it all out.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

if you buy it buy a new dash pad...
lol, yea that was the first run on the car, fixed it.

Do you have the time to devote to racing and competing as well as time to work on the car? Do you have a trailer big enough for the car and everything else (tools, tires etc)? Do you know enough to or have a buddy who can work on it and make adjustments at the track as need be? Do you have enough tools to keep a car like this on the track?
I dont have time to race in a class were I would travel but I do have time to go the local tracks and race in a couple events a year. I would buy the enclosed trailer with the car. I don't know ****! I am still trying to put my firehawk back together but my buddy would always help and teach me anything I need to know.

I can't really give out a price for the car but if I don't buy it I will post the for sale ad in the classifieds and you guys can see then. Here is a clue, Its more than the new 2010 Camaro 2SS I just built online....

Thinking more and more about getting it without the engine, I think he changes springs like 5 times a year and they are like 600bucks or something crazy!! It's the little things like that that would add up with an engine like that.

Thanks Guys!
T

Quick Reply: Should I skip the 11,10s,9s and buy my buddys 8 second car?