Sponsored by:

2" KOOKS header users, i have a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
damn, I hope my 2" kooks fit.

I will be running a manual rack with a MWC K member. Cant the rack be moved out farther and another steering shaft be made, and that would give it less angle and get it away from the headers?
I just made another steering shaft from scratch. It wasnt exactly cheap the way i did it but my car turns really easy and the steering shaft clears the headers. I used all flaming river u joints, new shaft, and installed a hyme joint in also.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our #1 tubes go around the steering shaft.

Opinion: You have too big of a primary tube unless you have 1000 hp. At that point it may still be big. It slows your gas speed down too much. But what does my guy know. He just builds all the headers for the top Pro Stock and Cup teams.

Bigger is not better in cams and headers.

In Vortec355's picture you see the #3 and #5 tube make a turn right off the header flange. #1 and #7 have a short straight section. You need the longest straight section you can get off of the head. If you ran #1 around the steering and #7 out furthur before turning it down it would give more room to make #3 and #5 longer before turning them down.

Last edited by STOCK1090; 04-23-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I know what ure saying about the exhaust gas's slowing down but on my specific car all the signs point to "bigger is better on a blower car reguardless of how radical the motor is". But I agree with you on a NA car.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
Our #1 tubes go around the steering shaft.

Opinion: You have too big of a primary tube unless you have 1000 hp. At that point it may still be big. It slows your gas speed down too much. But what does my guy know. He just builds all the headers for the top Pro Stock and Cup teams.

Bigger is not better in cams and headers.
who are you a little more detail whould help..... also a big inch motor 440 CI plus with 300Plus worth of nitrous is going to need a bigger header
Old 04-23-2010, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

SS, Header size is determined by HP not engine size.

Feel free to build a big set and then a small set and test them for yourself. I've already spent the money and can tell you the smaller ones go down the track faster. I've done it on the 1100 HP stuff as well as the Stockers.

I'm just the guy who spent the money and trying to not let people fall into the trap of the old technology. There are plenty of 700 HP engines running around with 1 5/8 headers.

Don't believe me thats OK. Do what you want, get Pipemax or check out the guys headers who blew past you.

Taubr,
Just a suggestion on something you may want to try when you get it all together. See if Burns or Performace Welding makes a merged collector that fits your tubes. They can help spread your power band and capitalize on that header size.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:38 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
SS, Header size is determined by HP not engine size.

Feel free to build a big set and then a small set and test them for yourself. I've already spent the money and can tell you the smaller ones go down the track faster. I've done it on the 1100 HP stuff as well as the Stockers.

I'm just the guy who spent the money and trying to not let people fall into the trap of the old technology. There are plenty of 700 HP engines running around with 1 5/8 headers.

Don't believe me thats OK. Do what you want, get Pipemax or check out the guys headers who blew past you.

Taubr,
Just a suggestion on something you may want to try when you get it all together. See if Burns or Performace Welding makes a merged collector that fits your tubes. They can help spread your power band and capitalize on that header size.
another guy with 127 posts thats knows everything... PS on a cam only car we gained power going to a 1 7/8 over a 1 3/4..... but u no everything and u prob have a 7 second car....
Old 04-24-2010, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

I'm glad you judge people's knowledge on the amount of posts. I find no correlation. Using your grading system you must know it all with your amount of posts.

Were the 1 3/4 headers pieces of junk?

Yes I have had a 7 second car. It only had 6 cylinders.

You don't know what you don't know yet.

The end.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think LS motor have a little difference in what size header tube they like. being the intake flows "x" amount better than the exahust can, bigger headers really seem to help these motors.

I know on my Dads 383 GEN 1 motor, bigger headers didn't help ****.... and were a waste of money.

but everyone has a different opinion, its the internet haha
Old 04-25-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
i think LS motor have a little difference in what size header tube they like. being the intake flows "x" amount better than the exahust can, bigger headers really seem to help these motors.

I know on my Dads 383 GEN 1 motor, bigger headers didn't help ****.... and were a waste of money.

but everyone has a different opinion, its the internet haha
i totally agree, these lsx motors are completely different motors vs. gen1 motors. Hell, when you can get heads that flow 400+ CFM you need bigger headers to flow all that air. On the other hand i see this thread getting locked real soon, lol, got off topic pretty good.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club

Here is a quick pic of mine its tight but they clear. Stock rack, shaft, and K-Member.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Can you put a 2" primary header like KOOKS on a head cam LS1? I'm not talking about the fit, more the performance. Its been proven that a 1 7/8" header beats out a 1 3/4" so what would happen with a 2"?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone had troubles with the ARH 2"? Their 2" has a 3" collector vs. kooks 3 1/2" which will fit to my current exhaust setup.

Quick Reply: 2" KOOKS header users, i have a question