Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS4000 vs. PT4400 come on in !

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You have 4.10 gears. That effects everything about the way the stall feels. It will hit harder and drive better with more gear.
i had 3.42's when i first installed it and it still drove around nice, but i do like it alot better with the 4.10's.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

well iv narrowed it down to the PT series because im only worried about WOT...and the pt4400 would actually go 4400 behind mysetup more like 4000 so ill either get the 4000 or the 4400 dave @ yank told me to get the 4400....just gotta decide now lol
Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from the SS4000 to the PT4400 and while I never got track data, I can honestly say that I liked the PT much better. It is looser on the street, but it pulled so much harder up top. I felt like I gained more from that converter than I did from the cam. I still run 3.23's and it made for one hell of a highway pull. I'm actually getting ready to buy a new PT4400 to try out the newest design. The one I had was an older version. My current Circe D 5000 is really close in performance to the PT4400, but I think the PT had better topend.....I'll find out soon.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been spraying with the 4400 and it still works. Good enough to go 10s with bolt ons and a cam. N/a go with a PT, nitrous go SS.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have tested both on my car pt4200(not a typo) and a ss4000...with 900ft better air I ran .5mph slower with the pt4200...the 60ft was .01 better with the pt4200 on the plus side...

the pt4200 just loses too much hp up top...I should have been up at least 1mph with the better air...so the pt4200 loss me around 1.5mph...

I wanted the pt to be better but it wasn't...my vote is the ss4000 but it looks like I am in the minority, either way if you get a pt or SS they are both very good...if you do pick the pt I would make it a pt4000...
Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 PM

damn chris now you have me thinking again !, i dunno what to really do lol
Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just get one of them and quit bothering everybody. You won't know which is best unless you try them both. Every car is different and even if you could find solid facts to support which is better, it doesn't make it true on your car.

Just get an SS4200 and be done.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00blacka4
damn chris now you have me thinking again !, i dunno what to really do lol
you can believe how everyone feels or my A-B comparison...

Also Larry from Speed Inc tested both converters and had better results with the ss4000 too...shoot him an email LS1 SPEED

if anyone has a-b results on a na car of the opposite I would love to see it and have yet to see one...hense why I tried it myself...

good luck either way though they are both good converters...later man
Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chrs1313
Also Larry from Speed Inc tested both converters and had better results with the ss4000 too...shoot him an email LS1 SPEED
And you always fail to mention that those results are on an 396 LT1. Which makes them completely irrelevant.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

And you always fail to mention that those results are on an 396 LT1. Which makes them completely irrelevant.
what about my 346 ls1 hmm...also just proves it works better on more than one engine size...does the trans or converter know what engine is in front of it...I guess our proven results still aren't enough for your theory...

push whatever you want I have proven my results can you say the same...
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

what about my 346 ls1 hmm...also just proves it works better on more than one engine size...does the trans or converter know what engine is in front of it...I guess our proven results still aren't enough for your theory...

push whatever you want I have proven my results can you say the same...
Here we go again, huh, dumbass.

Does the converter know what motor is in front of it? Umm, yeah it does, stupid. A 396 LT1 probably makes 100ftlbs more torque than your motor, that effects stall speed. If you got a flywheel that would allow you to bolt his SS4000 up to your car, it would be completely different behind an LS1. It's not the same converter.

Weight, power and gear make converters function differently. No two cars and no two drivers are the same so there's no way of saying for sure which converter is better.

And what were your results again? You proved that you had a better 60' and ET with the PT. You also went less MPH, but MPH don't win races. But again it's all irrelevant, your car may just like the SS better. Or you may put the SS4000 back in to find that it's even slower and that something else happened to your car between track runs that slowed it down. Maybe your trans is slipping or you pull a plug wire loose. Who ******* knows, but just because you think it should doesn't mean that it will. That's not proof.

There's not enough difference to worry about which one to get. Just get the cheaper one and be done.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

if the OP is concerned with winning some grudge street races i would go for the converter that would give the best launch, most likely the PT4400 in his case.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM

Just get one of them and quit bothering everybody. You won't know which is best unless you try them both. Every car is different and even if you could find solid facts to support which is better, it doesn't make it true on your car.

Just get an SS4200 and be done.
bothering everybody, wow you are a worthless piece of **** you pissed in ur cherrios, quit being a baby...obvioslly i dont have the money to just buy 3 converters and try them all to see which ones best, thats why im on a ******* forum to get some RESULTS people have gotton, nobody made ur happy *** climb on the ******* computer and type in this forum, so if im bothering you go **** urself...have a nice day ....chris, thanks for the help as always
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

I don't know why it is so hard to understand an A-B test...but I guess my tran is slipping now for all 5 runs that day...

i am still waiting for your test results...

Here we go again, huh, dumbass.

Does the converter know what motor is in front of it? Umm, yeah it does, stupid. A 396 LT1 probably makes 100ftlbs more torque than your motor, that effects stall speed. If you got a flywheel that would allow you to bolt his SS4000 up to your car, it would be completely different behind an LS1. It's not the same converter.

Weight, power and gear make converters function differently. No two cars and no two drivers are the same so there's no way of saying for sure which converter is better.

And what were your results again? You proved that you had a better 60' and ET with the PT. You also went less MPH, but MPH don't win races. But again it's all irrelevant, your car may just like the SS better. Or you may put the SS4000 back in to find that it's even slower and that something else happened to your car between track runs that slowed it down. Maybe your trans is slipping or you pull a plug wire loose. Who ******* knows, but just because you think it should doesn't mean that it will. That's not proof.

There's not enough difference to worry about which one to get. Just get the cheaper one and be done.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

bothering everybody, wow you are a worthless piece of **** you pissed in ur cherrios, quit being a baby...obvioslly i dont have the money to just buy 3 converters and try them all to see which ones best, thats why im on a ******* forum to get some RESULTS people have gotton, nobody made ur happy *** climb on the ******* computer and type in this forum, so if im bothering you go **** urself...have a nice day ....chris, thanks for the help as always
If you don't have the money to by all three, then you'll never know which one is better for you.

Sometimes you can get straight forward answers but that's not gonna happen when you ask about exhausts or cams or converters.

The best advice is to listen to the guy that builds them. Even that isn't guaranteed.

I don't know why it is so hard to understand an A-B test...but I guess my tran is slipping now for all 5 runs that day...

i am still waiting for your test results...
If your trans was slipping, well it wouldn't fix it's ******* self. You know as well as anyone that a true A to B test involves going back to A and making sure it's still the same (I've seen some of your test where you've done that). And what did your theory say again? That you would have went .05 faster with the SS4000? Ok. So they are about the same.

You can keep waiting on my test. I'm not wasting the time to potentially gain or loose .1 of a second. Mine works great I'm happy with it.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 06-11-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The pt lost mph from 660 to 1320 in Chris car and in my car.The only reason he ran faster was the air was way better,it should have gone high 10.20s with his old SS4000.I went from a pt4400 to a Circle d 4800.The Circle d is tighter just like the SS4000 and covered the back half with a better ET than the pt4400 in worse air.You are never gonna duplicate the same car or same conditions for a given day,so take our testing any way you like too.The pt feels faster,but in the higher hp cars it's simply blowing through the verter.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
The pt lost mph from 660 to 1320 in Chris car and in my car.The only reason he ran faster was the air was way better,it should have gone high 10.20s with his old SS4000.I went from a pt4400 to a Circle d 4800.The Circle d is tighter just like the SS4000 and covered the back half with a better ET than the pt4400 in worse air.You are never gonna duplicate the same car or same conditions for a given day,so take our testing any way you like too.The pt feels faster,but in the higher hp cars it's simply blowing through the verter.
For the sake of arguing (which you wanted to do otherwise you wouldn't have posted) Chris' 3-4 clutch pack could be slipping, they don't last forever especially behind a strong motor that gets beat on and it is common. I don't think I've ever see either of you mention which trans that you are running. In your case, though, well you went to a totally different converter and I think you did that because you thought your PT was aging (I may be thinking about someone else on that though). So that is what it is. Maybe the circle D is just better.

What are your shift extensions on both the PT and Circle D and what's your shift point? You say that it covered the back half in less time, but you still ran slower overall, right? And before you give me the worse air argument that you and your son are famous for, just tell me why you haven't ran it in better air because you've had it since last year.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 PM

what is the converter that is in his car now ? is it still the SS4000 bcause you said should have gone with this old ss4000 so I was J/w.....and about blowin through the verter dave @ yank told me to go with a pt converter untill i got a cam or heads to produce more horsepower. he said after i get a cam the ss4000 would be better because its a little tighter....just some info for this argument....and yeah maybe i will never know the perfect converter for my car but i came on the forum to get a pretty good idea so i dont know why ur being a ***** about it ?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

what is the converter that is in his car now ? is it still the SS4000 bcause you said should have gone with this old ss4000 so I was J/w.....and about blowin through the verter dave @ yank told me to go with a pt converter untill i got a cam or heads to produce more horsepower. he said after i get a cam the ss4000 would be better because its a little tighter....just some info for this argument....and yeah maybe i will never know the perfect converter for my car but i came on the forum to get a pretty good idea so i dont know why ur being a ***** about it ?
You said that he told you a PT4400 would be too much for a cammed car. What the **** do they make it for? Stock cars?

Big cams turn more RPM and make less power down low hence the need for high stall speed converters. Makes no sense on Yank's part.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

You said that he told you a PT4400 would be too much for a cammed car. What the **** do they make it for? Stock cars?

Big cams turn more RPM and make less power down low hence the need for high stall speed converters. Makes no sense on Yank's part.
again maybe I missed it but what proof or why do you think the pt is better...

and you calling me a dumbass is funny man...

also big cams do turn higher rpms but they do not lose power down low over a stock cam...they are always up...but you know that right? was it just a typo...

Last edited by chrs1313; 06-11-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: SS4000 vs. PT4400 come on in !