Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camscam's 10 point cage install thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camscam's 10 point cage install thread

I wanted to share our cage install with everybody now that we have some progress, some of you know the car some dont, basically a cam only car on nitrous and the last couple times out it went in the 9's so it was time to get the 8.50 cert and yada yada so this is what we did.

This cage kit is from MIA motorsports which is also the same kit the Kentucky speed on here sells. We went with there basic 10 point and then added a couple little bars on our own including a drivers side rocker bar and soon to be passenger side, the diagonal bar on the halo and then a couple of gussets. Its all chromoly and tigged in our garage. Anyways the cage kit fit great and we couldnt be happier. Its all installed we just need to do paint and carpet. so here are the pics.

some crappy pics but oh well

Fabricator and welder trying it out himself, visualizing going fast

Custom seat mount

Hopefully some pics here soon of it getting put back together
Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 AM
9 Second Club

We also relocated the battery to the rear well, where we used the Moroso blue battery box so we dont need a bulkhead and then made a custom push pull battery dissconect. We think it turned out pretty good so far. Let me know what you think

In the off postion

in the on position

Moroso box in the well
Old 08-12-2010, 05:01 AM
9 Second Club

Thats about it for now, were building it to run a local 26x8.5 tire 1/8 mile class here on the west coast and it should be fun. Ill keep it updated as we make progress.

here the car as it sat before surgery, cant wait to the get the new hood and 26x8.5s on it

Thanks for looking and Ill keep it updated
Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good.... How long do the diagnals from the main hoop to the floor come? I was looking at this kit, but will need to find another way to run those since I refuse to pull the rear seat out of the car (one of those stupid asthetically pleasing street car interior things that's still tripping me up).
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It looks really good. I have the same battery box and and kill did my switch in the same the spot. How is the door bar, getting in and out? I had mine done with a bend in it to make it easier to get in and out of but its right at min height limit is only downside.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club

looks good Cam.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:36 AM
7 Second Club

Nice job, make sure to label the battery cutoff!

Derek
Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Looking good.... How long do the diagnals from the main hoop to the floor come? I was looking at this kit, but will need to find another way to run those since I refuse to pull the rear seat out of the car (one of those stupid asthetically pleasing street car interior things that's still tripping me up).
the kit is made to to put those bars behind the seats and not where we have them. We weren't putting the rear seat in so we cut out the brackets and cut the bars and put them there. The kit is way nice, I def reccomend it.

Originally Posted by minytrker
It looks really good. I have the same battery box and and kill did my switch in the same the spot. How is the door bar, getting in and out? I had mine done with a bend in it to make it easier to get in and out of but its right at min height limit is only downside.
thanks man. I'm a small guy 5'10 150 so it's easy for me to just go butt first right in with no problem.

Originally Posted by ATVracr
looks good Cam.
thanks wayne. 5.90s on a 26x8.5 here we come
Originally Posted by Villain281H
Nice job, make sure to label the battery cutoff!

Derek
thanks man, yea we def I'll label it as per rules just not sure how we want to do it yet. Gotta keep it lookig good. Haha
Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really good Cameron. I will definately be there when you do you licensing passes. I think Bako is the same weekend we are leaving for Maui. If not, I will go keep your pops company.
Sorry I missed you when you were in town.

Don
Old 08-12-2010, 03:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reboot
Looks really good Cameron. I will definately be there when you do you licensing passes. I think Bako is the same weekend we are leaving for Maui. If not, I will go keep your pops company.
Sorry I missed you when you were in town.

Don
Thanks sir. It's coming along nicely just some little things left. That'd be sweet if you came to bako it's a pretty fun event all around especially since you "like" watching now. Hahaha
Old 08-12-2010, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cage looks great. You N. Cali guys are getting pretty serious down there lol....

Installing those forward bars is a fun job huh? How many times did you have to remove/install the dash? LOL.... Good times there.

Mike
Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Cage looks great. You N. Cali guys are getting pretty serious down there lol....

Installing those forward bars is a fun job huh? How many times did you have to remove/install the dash? LOL.... Good times there.

Mike
thanks man!

Real serious. Haha. Yea that was not fun I think we did 3 times or so to get it right. We didn't want to chop it up and cut too much so it took some time.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!
the last cage instal i saw was complete crap,will never certify at any track!

Kudos bro.....safety, cant have too much
Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good, I like the seat brace, looks nice and solid. I do however... prefer the bars in the back to go to the trunk/frame rail area. Then, an additional bar to tie in where your down bars do, and a bar tieing both rear down bars together, and another from that intersection to the main hoop. That really tightens up the back of the chassis alot, and gives some nice structure that you can build down to a BIG rear swaybar, relocated shocks behind the rear, etc.

Looks good though, for a kit that looks to tuck up pretty good, which I always appreciate, means someone took the time to design it right

You guys have a big 26x8.5 class out there? I'm surprised that, and the 275 radial stuff hasn't made it up into the northeast more then they have. The 26x8.5 class I can't believe hasn't made it up here, being a 6.0 to 5.5 speed, I can't believe that isn't taking off better.

That tiny tire will do amazing things though, I have a couple people I helped that run that on their car and they've gone pretty quick on them. From the exp I've had with that tire, an 8 inch rim and about 15 lbs of air seemed to work tbe best. That's what broke the most parts (driveline) and did the biggest wheelstands anyway LOL. We never tried any other rim width, but it seemed right for the tire, if you can try other width's, do it, may be some gains to be had. They definitely liked the 15 psi though, at least on the 3 cars we ran the tires on.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
thanks man!

Real serious. Haha. Yea that was not fun I think we did 3 times or so to get it right. We didn't want to chop it up and cut too much so it took some time.
Your sig says it all, just do it! I remember rigging up a bunch of stuff on my old setup.

I do everything the right way now and don't half *** it
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM
9 Second Club

Good job Cam, I expected nothing less from you and your dad! I can't wait to see those 5.9s on a stock shorty, just crazy!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Nice work. Love the seat brace. Like the bow-tie handle on the battery disconnect too.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Looks great!
the last cage instal i saw was complete crap,will never certify at any track!

Kudos bro.....safety, cant have too much
Thanks man, it better certify. haha

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Looks good, I like the seat brace, looks nice and solid. I do however... prefer the bars in the back to go to the trunk/frame rail area. Then, an additional bar to tie in where your down bars do, and a bar tieing both rear down bars together, and another from that intersection to the main hoop. That really tightens up the back of the chassis alot, and gives some nice structure that you can build down to a BIG rear swaybar, relocated shocks behind the rear, etc.

Looks good though, for a kit that looks to tuck up pretty good, which I always appreciate, means someone took the time to design it right

You guys have a big 26x8.5 class out there? I'm surprised that, and the 275 radial stuff hasn't made it up into the northeast more then they have. The 26x8.5 class I can't believe hasn't made it up here, being a 6.0 to 5.5 speed, I can't believe that isn't taking off better.

That tiny tire will do amazing things though, I have a couple people I helped that run that on their car and they've gone pretty quick on them. From the exp I've had with that tire, an 8 inch rim and about 15 lbs of air seemed to work tbe best. That's what broke the most parts (driveline) and did the biggest wheelstands anyway LOL. We never tried any other rim width, but it seemed right for the tire, if you can try other width's, do it, may be some gains to be had. They definitely liked the 15 psi though, at least on the 3 cars we ran the tires on.
I agree on the rear bars to the frame, I asked about it and tried to get it done but it was kind of a hassle, if I designed it myself thats what I would do atleast. We also wanted to add a couple more bars but stopped where we were at, it will work for now but there can always be some upgrades. Its a great kit for the money, we barely had to touch anything to get it to fit right.

Yea this is the first year of the class I think last race at 10 cars or so which is pretty decent and it looks to be pretty fun. We wont be setting records but it will be fun to go out and compete in some heads up stuff where we can fit in. I know how to build a motor/nitrous setup to compete and win races that money just has to come in. Thanks for the tips, our car is pretty dialed suspension wise so hopefully it wont be too much of a learning curve with the small tires. they'll be on 15x10's so we'll see what it does.

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Your sig says it all, just do it! I remember rigging up a bunch of stuff on my old setup.

I do everything the right way now and don't half *** it
Exactly, otherwise youll be going back and redoing it, or it wont be running what you expect it to.

Originally Posted by Carter01
Good job Cam, I expected nothing less from you and your dad! I can't wait to see those 5.9s on a stock shorty, just crazy!
Thanks a ton man, I cant wait either.

Originally Posted by n2ocamaro
Nice work. Love the seat brace. Like the bow-tie handle on the battery disconnect too.
Thanks, we like to innovate a little bit with some of our stuff we build and it usually works out well.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wanted to try those tires on a 15x10. It was gonna flatten the contact patch out alot, not sure what it's gonna do with teh air pressure requirments, I'd guess they may need more... only one way to find out.

I really wish there was more heads up stuff here, index classes is about the best we have, at least without going nutso with the $ (100K+cars etc)
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camscam02
thanks man!

That's actually not too bad. I had to pull my dash in/out a half dozen times or more but I like how it hugs the a-pillars now. Are your forward bars 1-3/4", they look big?

Do you run heads-up down there? If you're interested, we have a group up here (Portland area) called Headsup Northwest with about 6 events a year and 4 different classes. I was supposed to compete in the 10.50 index class this year but I've had multiple setbacks so I didn't compete.

Mike

Quick Reply: Camscam's 10 point cage install thread