Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which drag radial?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so it worked for you, thats good. But it dont mean that they work for everybody. You have an 8 sec car with a lot of money and time into it. I race with a drag radial and there is a local 275 class that is here and a few of which are on this board that run bottom 5's in the 1/8th. But these are all race cars with every suspension piece on them with a lot of time put into the adjustments. I have watched SMITH on this board race a lot and seen him not be able to hook up for crap at times, and other times its as simple as adjusting the shocks real quick. You are taking what I'm saying wrong and if you would read my post then you would see that. I am not saying it cant be done and that slicks are better, I'm just stating that it is easier to hook on a slick. If your car is making a lot of power, especially a nitrous car thats spraying out of the hole then its a lot harder to hook up with a radial, you even said you spun with the spray. I hook on motor fine as well, just not with my nitrous.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 AM
8 Second Club

My post was not about my racecar it was about my streetcar which has the same setup as probably 90% of the cars on this site .Nothing trick about it QA1's UMI Tq arm and front and rear control arms.I have SLP rear lowering springs 'Without' relocation brackets. i guess some people get it and others dont.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned

I also stated my car and others pictured had nothing special either...simple quality bolt-on F-body suspension parts.

I have seen slick car and big tire cars spin as often as I have seen radial cars spin. The key is get the suspension setup correctly.
The one thing I will say is once you spin a radial it seems harder to recover then a slick.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And I guess other people just cant read. Look man I'm not going to go back and fourth like this. I never once said anything about how a slick will make you faster or anything like that. So I guess cause you are able to hook up on a radial with your street car then everybody can right? I dont know anything about your cars and I could be totally wrong, but with it being just a street car it probably dont make enough power to break them loose. Hell I can dead hook my car with 245 nitto 555r's on motor. But as soon as I throw some gas at it I can't hook for crap unless I turn my progressive down to like 10%. You even said the same thing, that you hooked up every time till you tried to launch with your nitrous. Everybody's situation is different man. Yes it is very easy to be able to hook up if your not making a lot of power, but the op is already having traction issues with a bias ply so I'm pretty sure he will have problems with a radial. I'm not saying that nobody can hook up, I'm just simply stating, that with a lot of power it is easier to hook up with a slick than a radial. A slick is just more consistent and more forgiving, but if you can hook up with a radial you will have a faster et and mph and be A LOT more stable.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1 speed
hope the little info helps and if not at least a few great launch pics on small dr's were viewed:d
moar please!

:d

Also - to anyone that thinks you need to live at the track to figure out suspension, my previous camaro dead hooked low 1.4x 60's on a 26" drag radial spraying 150 out of the hole with all bolt on stuff. qa1's up front, comp engingeering out back, lowering springs, BMR t/a at -2, no front sway bar, STOCK rear sway bar and some bolt on relocation brackets (approx 3,450 race weight).

just using proven information from people that have done it (such as people on this board) is all you need to bolt on parts and dead hook. Obviously when you get into the really quick cars with a ton of power, there's a lot more to it. but the OP has an 11.0 car, so that's not exactly comparing apples to apples.

Last edited by Bryan @ Speed Inc.; 08-25-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
I also stated my car and others pictured had nothing special either...simple quality bolt-on F-body suspension parts.

I have seen slick car and big tire cars spin as often as I have seen radial cars spin. The key is get the suspension setup correctly.
The one thing I will say is once you spin a radial it seems harder to recover then a slick.
I'm on a radial my own self and I hook up great on motor, but on nitrous I can not get it to dead hook at all. I have spent a lot of money and time buying and installing parts to get my car to hook up and I'm just trying to say that it is easier to get a car to hook with a slick than a radial. I do agree that a slick is a "band aid" to say. You will be able to hook up on a slick with less suspension parts then it takes to get a radial. Like I said in my above post, if a car isn't making a lot of power then of course it will hook up fine, but if your making a lot of power then it makes it more difficult is all I'm saying. The op is already having problems on a bias ply, so I can imagine the problems and head ache he would have on a radial. But I believe he said he is on a 26" bias ply, so maybe he will have better luck on a 28" 275 with a 10" wide wheel. I'm just trying to save somebody the headache.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bryan @ Speed Inc.
moar please!

:d

Also - to anyone that thinks you need to live at the track to figure out suspension, my previous camaro dead hooked low 1.4x 60's on a 26" drag radial spraying 150 out of the hole with all bolt on stuff. qa1's up front, comp engingeering out back, lowering springs, BMR t/a at -2, no front sway bar, STOCK rear sway bar and some bolt on relocation brackets (approx 3,450 race weight).

just using proven information from people that have done it (such as people on this board) is all you need to bolt on parts and dead hook. Obviously when you get into the really quick cars with a ton of power, there's a lot more to it. but the OP has an 11.0 car, so that's not exactly comparing apples to apples.
Well that is badass! I wish I was able to do that, maybe its cause we are further down south and our track temps are way more hotter than where you guys are. I have very similar mods that you had on your previous camaro but for the life of me I cant get it to dead hook, and on a bigger tire. Also must of over looked that he has an 11 sec car so yes it should hook up just fine.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

Yea - we do have some pretty decent tracks up here - and going out in 90+* weather is not our first choice. haha.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
8 Second Club

You're right I dont have enough power to spin my tires.This pass is on a 100 shot on a 40 degree day in November. Call Eric at MWC he will help ypu get your car working you cant just bolt on the parts without some basic settings and expect them to work.
http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...=ChrisS987.flv
Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

junk *** h/c pulling 1.3s

275/60/15...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z8'S
You're right I dont have enough power to spin my tires.This pass is on a 100 shot on a 40 degree day in November. Call Eric at MWC he will help ypu get your car working you cant just bolt on the parts without some basic settings and expect them to work.
Well that was awesome man, you car is badass! But you just kind of proved one of my points. You have to admit that a 40 degree day in Nov is WAY better than a 100 degree day in the middle of summer with a track temp of 140 degrees, especially when there are no other cars on street tires to mess up the track prep and with their a/c on dripping onto the track. I'm talking about less than desirable conditions. But your car is sweet man. Oh by the way my rear end and suspension is all from MWC, Eric and Jason are awesome guys!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

cold weather brings cold track temps as hot weather brings hot track temps..both not good.

a/c on racing should not be allowed and people should know better

look it's so easy a 4x4 F-body can go 1.3's on 275's
Old 08-25-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrs1313
junk *** h/c pulling 1.3s

275/60/15...
I'm not saying it cant be or hasn't been done people Just saying....never freaking mind, I'll let you read through the three pages and get to speed with what I've been saying this whole time.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
cold weather brings cold track temps as hot weather brings hot track temps..both not good.

a/c on racing should not be allowed and people should know better

look it's so easy a 4x4 F-body can go 1.3's on 275's
Yeah your right, people should not be allowed to race with the a/c on and they say that over the speakers but dumb *** people still do. I'm not sure where you, or some of the other guys race at. But at test n tune at the local track I go to there a crap load of people that race there stupid civics and 1500's with strait pipes and all kinds of stupid, ungodly slow cars. I agree that vid makes it look easy, its just not as easy as it looks unless the car is set up perfect and the track prep is awesome. I watch our local x275 class cars all the time and a lot of them blow a lot of their runs, sometimes its something as easy as adjusting the shocks, and other times they just cant hook probably cause the track. I have more suspension mods and a bigger radial then you had on your previous camaro and still can hook up, probably track prep and temp. I say we all just agree to disagree
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bryan @ Speed Inc.
Yea - we do have some pretty decent tracks up here - and going out in 90+* weather is not our first choice. haha.
I know who has your old camaro
Old 08-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ics-added.html
Old 08-28-2010, 01:46 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by second_2_none
And I guess other people just cant read. Look man I'm not going to go back and fourth like this. I never once said anything about how a slick will make you faster or anything like that. So I guess cause you are able to hook up on a radial with your street car then everybody can right? I dont know anything about your cars and I could be totally wrong, but with it being just a street car it probably dont make enough power to break them loose. Hell I can dead hook my car with 245 nitto 555r's on motor. But as soon as I throw some gas at it I can't hook for crap unless I turn my progressive down to like 10%. You even said the same thing, that you hooked up every time till you tried to launch with your nitrous. Everybody's situation is different man. Yes it is very easy to be able to hook up if your not making a lot of power, but the op is already having traction issues with a bias ply so I'm pretty sure he will have problems with a radial. I'm not saying that nobody can hook up, I'm just simply stating, that with a lot of power it is easier to hook up with a slick than a radial. A slick is just more consistent and more forgiving, but if you can hook up with a radial you will have a faster et and mph and be A LOT more stable.
Not to stir the pot or , but you are comparing a Nitto 555 drag radial to a more purpose-built drag radial like a M/T, and that's apples to oranges.

Just an example, here's a test comparing the 555 to Nitto's new NT05 drag radial: www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1003_nitto_nt05r_drag_radical_tires/index.html

BIG DIFFERENCE!

I have a stock suspension '70 Nova with Calvert Racing split mono-leaf springs, Caltracs and Rancho 4x4 style shocks @ 3600 lbs. Nothing exotic, just bolt-on stuff, with a 275/60/15 M/T drag radial that I drive on to the track and run at 18 psi.
Car goes consistent 1.54-1.60 60 foots on motor footbraking, best of 1.39 on a 200 hp shot of nitrous (progressive controller at 40% start .2 seconds after WOT, .6 second ramp until @ full pill) and run a 9.96 @ 133 mph best.

Just saying, it can be done. Don't be afraid of drag radials.

Derek
Old 08-28-2010, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I havent even read the whole thread,im new to drag racing,and I dont make the power these guys are making. But I can say the I love the mt et street radials I bought for the track. They do not spin,and they hook like a bastard. But like I said,im not makin the power others are. And thats imo bout the drs.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Not to stir the pot or , but you are comparing a Nitto 555 drag radial to a more purpose-built drag radial like a M/T, and that's apples to oranges.

Just an example, here's a test comparing the 555 to Nitto's new NT05 drag radial: www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1003_nitto_nt05r_drag_radical_tires/index.html

BIG DIFFERENCE!

I have a stock suspension '70 Nova with Calvert Racing split mono-leaf springs, Caltracs and Rancho 4x4 style shocks @ 3600 lbs. Nothing exotic, just bolt-on stuff, with a 275/60/15 M/T drag radial that I drive on to the track and run at 18 psi.
Car goes consistent 1.54-1.60 60 foots on motor footbraking, best of 1.39 on a 200 hp shot of nitrous (progressive controller at 40% start .2 seconds after WOT, .6 second ramp until @ full pill) and run a 9.96 @ 133 mph best.

Just saying, it can be done. Don't be afraid of drag radials.

Derek
I never compared the two, I just stated that I can dead hook on shitty 245 nitto 555r's on motor. But when I'm on the gas I cant hook up with my 275/60/15 M/T radials. I'm on a drag radial so why would I be scared of it??? Anyways I'm done with this thread because people always chime in how they were able to hook up, so that means everybody else can. There are a lot more that dont hook that can, and even for the ones that do hook up on a radial, they have just as many blown runs as successful runs. I watch the classes here and I know what I see. I know you, and everybody on this thread claim that you dead hook every single time you go out so I dont care anymore. Like I said before, lets just all agree to disagree.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by second_2_none
There are a lot more that dont hook that can, and even for the ones that do hook up on a radial, they have just as many blown runs as successful runs.
BS!!

Quick Reply: Which drag radial?