Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Plate w/ Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have a close up of how the mid plate is mounted to the frame....
Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry I don't. That pic was taken 6 months ago. I'll take a picture of the mounting tabs on the frame over the weekend and send it to you...
Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fireball
I agree with Firehawk...

Best option for a higher hp setup is motor plate + midplate + engine limiter. Thats the setup I use with a poly trans mount...
yep i have limiters aswel... just cant seen them in the pics.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
You don't seem to get it...

There are plenty of people that have not had issues with reluctor wheels breaking either. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen...

I haven't had the problem but I assure you I'm not stupid enough to think it can't.
I was running only motor and mid plates for one season. I had a hiem on my torque arm break at the hit of the trans brake. It slammed the carb back into the cowl (about 1.5" behind.) Also bent the motor plates.

I had to get new plates and put a engine limiter on.

Better safe then sorry.

Ken
Old 10-16-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I don't. That pic was taken 6 months ago. I'll take a picture of the mounting tabs on the frame over the weekend and send it to you...
cool thanks.....ill be getting into my project in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice job. How many Cu. In. is that B/B going to be?
Well I don't know what story you were told, but they put the 440 that's in Gary's black car together the same way, motor plate, no mid plate, just the tranny mount on the back of a dedenbear cased glide.

Right or wrong that's how the car is.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Banned

This is a KTS Front and Mid plate...
That's a nice plate, who sells it?

DM
Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
That's a nice plate, who sells it?

DM

http://www.ktsracecars.com/motorplates.htm
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bit of a side question then...

Going to bolt a LS1 to a stock Subaru Legacy GT transmission, with a 1" thick aluminum adapter plate, which will have dual function as a mid plate. This mid plate will be mounted solidly to the existing mounting engine crossmember directly below it, with poly bushings. Will this be enough for a 450hp LS1, and again enough for a 700hp twin turbo build? The engine would be hanging out front from the thick mid plate as stated. Advice welcomed!

The transmission is attached to the frame at the firewall on top front with a "pitch stopper" and at the tail of the transmission with a cushy mount that does littler to keep the engine/trans assembly in place. Most of the OEM assembly mounting is handled by the engine mounts, which are like the LS1 mounts in location, but are towards the back of the short boxer engine instead in the middle of the long LS engine.

You can see in this pic how the crossmember is right at where the engine meets the tranny, and you can see the two rust spots where the engine mounts use to go (not my car, but similar)
Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

that picture is backwards.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tee-boy
truth!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tee-boy
Originally Posted by mad_steve
truth!
False, it's a picture from a JDM Subaru, right-hand drive. I said it's not a picture of my car Subaru starter in on the left side, from driver's perspective, as is A/C compressor and positive battery lead red cover.

Back to my original question... simplified:

Going to run a 1" thick solid strong mid plate serving also as trans bolt pattern adapter. The plate will be bolted firmly to the stock solid crossmember with two polyurethane mounts. Is this powerful V8 going to be happy hanging there?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ClimberD
False, it's a picture from a JDM Subaru, right-hand drive. I said it's not a picture of my car Subaru starter in on the left side, from driver's perspective, as is A/C compressor and positive battery lead red cover.

Back to my original question... simplified:

Going to run a 1" thick solid strong mid plate serving also as trans bolt pattern adapter. The plate will be bolted firmly to the stock solid crossmember with two polyurethane mounts. Is this powerful V8 going to be happy hanging there?
First off, didn't realize it was a right-hand drive. Wasn't stated in the origninal post.

Second, why are you wanting to run a 1" thick mid plate? Just a little overkill in my opinion, not to mention heavy as all get out.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

I don't think his car is right hand drive. I think it's the only pic that he could find similar to his set-up.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mad_steve
First off, didn't realize it was a right-hand drive. Wasn't stated in the origninal post.

Second, why are you wanting to run a 1" thick mid plate? Just a little overkill in my opinion, not to mention heavy as all get out.
The Subaru Legacy 5EAT torque converter protrudes from the bellhousing, as does the LSx flywheel. To get the two to touch flush, you are lift with a 7/8" gap, and two completely different bellhouding bolt patterns. So you are required to cut a 7/8" thick adapter plate. Since it's already going to be cut (in aluminum), might as well drop each side down an extra 2" and mount it to the crossmember.

Originally Posted by TAHOE5.3
I don't think his car is right hand drive. I think it's the only pic that he could find similar to his set-up.
Correct, I live is Dallas and drive a car made in Indiana or wherever (I don't care). It was the first canned pic google had.

SO... 3rd time, anyone have any idea whether JUST THE MID PLATE ADAPTER is all the engine needs, or should I look into adding mounting support further up the length of the engine as well?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

How would a manual transmission work with a midplate? Is there a flywheel spacer that could be used to clearance the plate between the bellhousing and motor? What does that do to the starter and flywheel teeth alignment?

Quick Reply: Motor Plate w/ Mounts