Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Racing Accidents opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tee-boy
down here, our state actually has a law on the books supporting the waiver. It is relevant to all outdoor moto sports - even Yugo mud racing as shown in my avatar (that's my old 86' with the big block and 4 brl Rochester).

one other thing not mentioned is whether the event is covered or not.

Very true that some states have ruled in favor of the waiver's ability to preclude many actions but not all.

On the exact opposite side, some states have enacted statues that expressly prohibit entertainment based venues (ones that take tickets for money like drag racing strips) from disclaiming/releasing liability for negligence in some predefined situations.

There is a huge divergence on this issue.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it's a statute; not a ruling.

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
Very true that some states have ruled in favor of the waiver's ability to preclude many actions but not all.

On the exact opposite side, some states have enacted statues that expressly prohibit entertainment based venues (ones that take tickets for money like drag racing strips) from disclaiming/releasing liability for negligence in some predefined situations.

There is a huge divergence on this issue.
it's a statute here; not a ruling. Majority of law in this state is "on the books".
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know of four incidences.....

1. a track worker, playing with his dog ran onto the drag strip. A motorcyclist hit the dog, crashing....

2. a racer rear ends another racer at 60+ mph, because the dark return road (one lane) and one car virtually stopped.

3. a roof rack comes off a turbo vw and goes into the other lane, causing the racer to try and not hit it, which in the end caused a collision with the gaurd rail.

4. this isnt an incident, but just track procedure........cages, jackets, rules followed until 9 pm....after.....the magical hour of 9 pm, you can run 8.0 with a passenger in shorts and no helmets or roll bars at all if you want.

All the collisions were ruled as expected dangers.....the track didnt even pay medical bills for the rider that hit the dog.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

and the same type of situations can occur on any public street.

I worry about safety first, and whos going to pay last.

Luckily, I've got enough in the bank to insure myself.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

If i was racing and my opponents car came apart and damaged my car. Id kindly meet him in the pits afterwards and ask him if he would be willing to help repair any damage to my car. If he says no f off and go away, id call him a ***** and walk off lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

no you wouldn't walk off. You'd take pictures, gather evidence, and hire a lawer.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you ever read the liability waiver you sign when you run your car? Theres things called associated risks my friend. Sometimes its easier just to shrug it off and move on. Most likely its going to cost less to fix my car than it would be to hire a lawyer and have the chance of not benefitting any.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default dfdfd

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Have you ever read the liability waiver you sign when you run your car? Theres things called associated risks my friend. Sometimes its easier just to shrug it off and move on. Most likely its going to cost less to fix my car than it would be to hire a lawyer and have the chance of not benefitting any.
yeah, i've read it. I get free legal services, so it doesn't bother me. Many lawers and judges in the family.

hell, my cousin is the state rep in the jurisdiction of our track.

what the hell am i worried about.

Life is good.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hartland Ins Co quoted me right at $1300 for a year on track and off for just the car and $30k worth of coverage for my car and up to $50k on the other car with a $1k deductible. Nearly half of what Lutz wanted and seems to cover everything. I plan on going with them once everything is finished with tw car this winter to protect my investment with about another $10k of coverage. For a little over a $100/month for on track and off I can't afford not to purchase it.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
You guys are stoned if you think you deserve something from a fellow racer - his fault or not - or have a legal stance if something happens on the racetrack. It's an assumed risk of both parties. If you have a problem with that, don't race.
I'm quoting myself again because it should have been the post that ended this thread. You guys are ridiculous.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tee-boy
yeah, i've read it. I get free legal services, so it doesn't bother me. Many lawers and judges in the family.

hell, my cousin is the state rep in the jurisdiction of our track.

what the hell am i worried about.

Life is good.
No surprise someone like you would grab a lawyer then. Don't you have any dignity? Sue happy society we live in.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Banned

IMHO it is unrealistic to think that a 22 yr. old kid that keeps his heap together with zip ties is going to be able to be able to muster up the cash for any damage that he causes to you or your ride.

So what happens in the world of professional motorsports like NASCAR when someone spins out and ends up taking out half of the field? Do his sponsors or insurance pay for all the damage he caused? Of course not. What if he loses a tire and it flies into the audience and kills a spectator? Not his fault, tragic and sad, but still not his fault and it cannot be proven.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default social work certificate

Originally Posted by fergymoto
No surprise someone like you would grab a lawyer then. Don't you have any dignity? Sue happy society we live in.
Yeah, and you can get yourself a social work certificate, and that'll do wonders for your career. Then, I'll do everything I can to make your life miserable.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joblo1978
IMHO it is unrealistic to think that a 22 yr. old kid that keeps his heap together with zip ties is going to be able to be able to muster up the cash for any damage that he causes to you or your ride.

So what happens in the world of professional motorsports like NASCAR when someone spins out and ends up taking out half of the field? Do his sponsors or insurance pay for all the damage he caused? Of course not. What if he loses a tire and it flies into the audience and kills a spectator? Not his fault, tragic and sad, but still not his fault and it cannot be proven.
If you dont think that the team would be paying for spectator injuries you are sadly mistaken my friend. And yes, im pretty positive that if one car wrecks and takes out 7 others, while they may not take full responsibility for the other cars but they are damned sure going to help out. Besides noone said anything about nascar. The hypothetical was IF you are racing, and an opponents car comes apart and does damage to your car, what happens. If it were my car to come apart and damage the other car, personally id be asking the guy what I could do to help.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

If you dont think that the team would be paying for spectator injuries you are sadly mistaken my friend. And yes, im pretty positive that if one car wrecks and takes out 7 others, while they may not take full responsibility for the other cars but they are damned sure going to help out. Besides noone said anything about nascar. The hypothetical was IF you are racing, and an opponents car comes apart and does damage to your car, what happens. If it were my car to come apart and damage the other car, personally id be asking the guy what I could do to help.
Maybe, or possibly mistaken, but not sadly. Your statements include no facts at all and I doubt your coming from a professional standpoint.

What happens is you fix it, and that's all. If you can't accept the risk than don't race. Racing is racing and **** happens. It would be funny to see Judge Judy handle a case like this.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Launching!

so true and so sad. i got hurt on my buddy's parents land riding a quad. ended up needing surgery my buddy's mom was freaking out that i was going to sue her. i told her "i decided to ride my quad and i got hurt how could i even think about doing anything to her?" $6000 later and there is still no way i would even consider going after her or her insurance. no need to make her rates go up for something i did.

Originally Posted by joblo1978

my other buddy races late models and there is nothing saying or any one ever thinking about getting money from another racer if there is an accident.

you guys are f*cking pathetic.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by overhere
so true and so sad. i got hurt on my buddy's parents land riding a quad. ended up needing surgery my buddy's mom was freaking out that i was going to sue her. i told her "i decided to ride my quad and i got hurt how could i even think about doing anything to her?" $6000 later and there is still no way i would even consider going after her or her insurance. no need to make her rates go up for something i did.
That's because your enough of a man to own up to the risks and the consequences. I have a ton of respect for people like you. Teebag up there isn't.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's because your enough of a man to own up to the risks and the consequences. I have a ton of respect for people like you. Teebag up there isn't.
BINGOOOOOOO
Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All I said, was that any legal chase was asinine. And if it happened to me, i would ask the other guy if there was anything he could do. If not, so be it, ill fix my **** and be out there next weekend.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned

All I said, was that any legal chase was asinine. And if it happened to me, i would ask the other guy if there was anything he could do. If not, so be it, ill fix my **** and be out there next weekend.
Ok then, good luck with that.

Like they say, "**** in one hand and wish in the other..."