Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Racing Accidents opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drag Racing Accidents opinions

I was talking with some people at the track this weekend and was wondering what you all think. Here is the scenario:
You are racing at the track, the person next to you has a malfunction and a part of their car (tire, axel, rod, piston, moon roof, etc) comes and hits your car. What do you do other than apologize? Is it just a risk of racing? What are your thoughts. I found may different opinions. (We had a crash at our track)
Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Far as I know..risks of racing
Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF the other guy who caused the issue is a stand up person he should attempt to make it right somehow. But realistically you sign that waiver entering the track and he is not obligated to do a thing.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Its a risk we all take and the most the person could and should do is say im sorry and the other person in return should reply its just part of racing.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Internet Mechanic

If the accident was the fault of something that clearly could have been avoided or the guy did not let up on a uncontrolable car, then I would need way more then an apology.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I never really thought about this. I do avoid racing crazy fast cars. If I line up with one I just wait till the other car goes.

When I race I do understand that the insurance company will not cover my car.

In most cases when someone can't drive they don't start very fast so I have already cleared them.

I probably would not think/expect most drivers (if any) would cover the cost of the damage to my car.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

What would you say if the guy had a 2500hd truck that thought it would be a good idea to take off the front brakes? Or if the guy thought he could get drag shocks by drilling some holes in his stock shocks....

Last edited by dlove; 10-18-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dlove
What would you say if the guy had a 2500hd truck that thought it would be a good idea to take off the front brakes? Or if the guy thought he could get drag socks by drilling some holes in his stock shocks....
i would hope ur joking but unfortunetly theres people stupid enough out there to do that. but in the instance someone else either crashes into you or causes damage to your car once your on the racing surface thats the risk you take, if they lose control of their car and crash into you each person is liable for there own car. just a risk you take while racing -tony-
Old 10-17-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

if something blows like motor,trans or rear & causes you damage.....thats unfortunate & unintended.no malice or harm ment.

now if someone is being stupid or careless & something happens....thats another story.i am not gonna pay for someone elses stupidity.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

I'm talking like hoods coming off, wheels, t-Tops, spoilers.

Hopefully Tech will sort out the people just bringing piles of crap to try to "race"
Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlove
what would you say if the guy had a 2500hd truck that thought it would be a good idea to take off the front brakes? Or if the guy thought he could get drag socks by drilling some holes in his stock shocks....
hahahaha!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:58 AM
Launching!

there must be some legal insurance just to protect race cars .... but scince insurance company's don't cover racing then F**K that dude z dead =s
Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You have something happen to your car while going down the track, wether it's your fault, the other guy's fault, part failuer, whatever, that's tough luck.

There si ABSOLUTELY nothing anywhere that says if a guy croosses the center lane and total's your car that he owes you a thing.

It sucks, but that's RACING. If you can't afford to lose the car, then you shouldn't be racing it.

There's a reason why insurance companies don't cover this sort of thing... so do it at your own risk!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

http://www.racecarinsurance.net/
Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

racing is assumed risk...the other guy owes you nothing...

there are a few different options for on-track insurance...not cheap, but you never know
Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BADD SS
I should have made note to say "normal" insurance.

For a price you can insure anything. Race car insurance, is an option, but it's not a cheap one. I've looked into it in the past, for coverage for the trailer, car etc, from fire, theft, natural disaster, that sort of thing, and while it's sitting in the pits (in case someone hits the car while it's sitting there) isn't too bad, if you want coverage for while the car is going down the track, it gets pretty pricy.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
If the accident was the fault of something that clearly could have been avoided or the guy did not let up on a uncontrolable car, then I would need way more then an apology.
Agreed!

As mentioned, it's risky and sh*t happens! Most racers I've met would feel bad and try to help out if they caused it, even if it was nothing that could have been done to avoid the wreck.

Derek
Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

If there is negligence involved you had better believe you would see me in court. You can only assume the risk of known dangers...not negligence. If it is an NHRA track there are rules that need to be followed for safety. It would be pretty clear negligence if you were racing and not following such rules.

Your normal insurance will NOT cover you on the track.

Your requirement at act like a reasonably prudent person follows you everywhere.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've nearly been in that situation. I was racing in Import v. Domestic last year at MIR and had a honda literally start falling apart in front of me at the 1000 foot mark. I had pieces of his front bumper, a mirror, and who knows what else in my lane before the guy started to make a move for the center line.

I made a stupid mistake and started to get onto the brakes and move away from his mess. I guess at that time I was more concerned about the possibility of hitting another racer than worrying about my car. Either way it was a stupid "rookie" mistake. The car got into some stay dry/dust/dew or whatever and got sideways across the center line right at/past the stripe. I had just jetted it up (this was the last time the car has made a full pass on the bottle due to major mods this season) and I crossed the stripe with a 10.2 @ 95. Based on that I have to assume I was around 130 around the time I got on the brakes. I got lucky and was able to collect the car.

I got off the track, gathered myself, and went over to congratulate the guy on his win (no matter how ugly it was). I saw body pannels held on with zip ties and a ton of other half-assed work on the car combined with the driver and his buddies/crew sitting around half lit (except for the driver) laughing about the "stupid domestic ***" that they had "scared off the track". I ended up tearing the guy a new one (only verbally of course) to which he gave me the, "It's racing, STFU," response.

THOSE ARE THE GUYS THAT NEED TO NEVER BE ON A RACETRACK AGAIN!

I understand there's a risk in losing literally EVERYTHING every time I strap myself into the car, but guys who run haggard hunks of **** need to be dealt with in the most severe way possible. I see it far too often at local tracks and have a heartened distaste for it (if you couldn't already tell) most especially after this incident.

Anyway... Back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Here is my .02, so sit down and listen beotch...

When i raced a few times in the past, i would pay very close attention to other peoples rides (cars or bikes) and check out things that play a big role in the race... if **** didnt seem up to par, i would back out or ask them to address their ****.

When i took a 750gsxr out with nitrous before we took it to an auction, i watched the other people i would race as they came up to the strip and heated their **** up...

My point: you can tell someone who has no experience and someone who knows that he/she/it is doing with their mode of transpo. It is a risk you take when you enter a race. accidents do happen and its a part of life. I have been in a few close calls before and i am very satisfied with the fact my buddies were on a walkie letting me know when she almost got horrible.