Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting pinion angle, pro suspension tuners PLEASE help out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting pinion angle, pro suspension tuners PLEASE help out!!!!

I'm getting 1.66 60ft's but I know I could do a little better. My whole rear is supported by BMR and it's all adjustable. I've found the sweet spot running 15 psi in my mickey thompson's. I'm wondering where I could adjust to get it to hook a little better. I'm set pretty much at stock settings with the panhard, control arms and -2 degree's on the Tq arm. I was wondering if I should adjust the torque arm but really dont know which way to go. Any advice on where i should set it. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by 94BlueZ28; 10-22-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Got any video's of the car leaving? Thats the best thing to analize to see how the suspension is reacting. What kind of bushings are you running? If you're running poly's then you might want to give it a little more PA than 2*. Footbrake/Transbrake? Whats the front suspension consist of?

-Mark
Old 10-22-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Stock front suspension parts with some bilstien shocks and 1.5" lowering springs. The rear is all BMR.... Just didn't know if I should try fine tuning the rear a bit to help plant it to the ground better. It does pretty good out the hole for sure but thought maybe I could tweak a little bit for the best results. Even with the rear control arms and the relocation brackets. You can set them up a couple different ways. There a 2 different holes depending where you want to set them. I have them set on the top hole. Not sure really what would happen if I where to install them in the bottom hole and adjust from that point.

I'm just footbraking it but that's easy. I see best results just flashing the stall to about 1300 rpm vrs 2600-2800. Better 60 fts which leads to better 1/4 mile times
As far as bushings it's the poly that comes with the BMR components! So you suggest maybe a -3.5* PA adjustment rather than my -2*
Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is some tuners say -2 pinion and forget about driveline angle and others say -2 driveline angle. I think everyone is confused about that issue and we need some clarifification on that.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

- or + doesn't matter. As long as the difference is 2*. Typically for solid bushings you give it 0 - 2*, 2-3* for polys, and 3-4* for stock rubber.

But if your front suspension is stock w/ lowering springs I think its a safe bet that you are not getting enough weight transfer and are probably spinning right off the hit.

If the holes you speak of are on the lower bars by putting them on the lowest hole increases your antisquat (AS) and shortens your instant center (IC). By doing that, it'll hit the tire harder on the initial hit but on the flip side it will tend to unload quicker. So you'll get the famous "hook and spin". But I think I'd look into some ligher springs upfront. 1.66 60' with stock front suspension is pretty good IMO.

-Mark
Old 10-22-2010, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

pinion angle is not as important as lca angle, or torque arm height at the front.... shocks play a big role as well, I would look into other area's rather than pinion angle, if your at -2
Old 10-22-2010, 03:14 PM
9 Second Club

Do you have lowering springs on the rear too? If you do, you probably need to lower the LCAs to the bottom hole... But, given your setup, I think you doing pretty good with a 1.66...
Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Right on guys, just wasn't for sure if I could squeeze more out of it or not!!!!!!! I'm using the stock springs in the rear with the isolaters off to drop it a 1/4" or so. Yeah it doesn't seem like it spins out off the line at all . My buddy sat down in the middle of the track and said he swears it's spinning right before it shifts. Hes states that he can here it chirp before the shift but at this time I'm hitting my rev limiter which is another whole issue. TUNER fucked with my shift points and rev limiter in return causing me to hit the limiter before it shifts. Did fine on the street until changing the tires out to the 28x10.5 mickey thompson slicks. At this point it's almost to called to run it in Missouri for the rest of the year. I'm going to tweak a few things this up coming month and mess with my fuel stuff a little since I'm out of injector's....Few things I have to take care of. Might loose another 100 lbs or so to!!!