Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9s CAM ONLY new record !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Flycutting and rod bolts give folks advantages, at that point you could run even bigger cams and spin the engine even higher... Once you do either "cam only" does not mean a whole lot I think.

I think we always have to give props to those brave souls who are spinning stock bottom ends to 7K and run low 10's and high 9's.
Originally Posted by Firehawk441
I totally agree with you John.

Too many try to munipulate what "CAM ONLY" stands for.
Its not manipulating what "Cam Only" Stands for.

This reminds me of all the Fastest stock short block Turbo BS.
Cam Only rules are dictated by the car who holds the record. Congrats on the dedication to push the envelope and the Results.

As for Rod Bolts and Fly Cuts, Its still cam only. Hell if it was Cam Only it wouldnt have bolt on's... See where this goes? It all mincing words

Maybe I will take a stab at it.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
Its not manipulating what "Cam Only" Stands for.
Yes it is...
Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
Yes it is...
No Its Not. "CAM ONLY" Means "ONLY A CAM".
Everyone should call it Cam/Sprins/Intake/Throttle Body/Headers/Electric Water Pump/Ect, Ect....
We can Mince Words and Manipulate this all night. Then again it been done for years already so why waste the time?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
9 Second Club

Congrats that is moving.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 PM
8 Second Club

No Its Not. "CAM ONLY" Means "ONLY A CAM".
Everyone should call it Cam/Sprins/Intake/Throttle Body/Headers/Electric Water Pump/Ect, Ect....
We can Mince Words and Manipulate this all night. Then again it been done for years already so why waste the time?
Every Cam only car has Cam/Sprins/Intake/Throttle Body/Headers/Electric Water Pump and what not. now your just getting stupid about it. Fly cutting in my opinion is not cam only now your starting to internal modify the motor for performance advantages. have to draw a line on were it stops....
Old 02-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
Every Cam only car has Cam/Sprins/Intake/Throttle Body/Headers/Electric Water Pump and what not. now your just getting stupid about it. Fly cutting in my opinion is not cam only now your starting to internal modify the motor for performance advantages. have to draw a line on were it stops....
Getting stupid about it? Bored more or less. Congrats on the ET by the way. Fly cutting not being "Cam Only" is your Opinion. You said so yourself. As for having to draw a line where it stops. You doing that now that you have the record ?

Yes Fly Cutting allows for bigger cams.
Yes Rod Bolts make higher RPM safer.
Does eighter make it anyless than "Cam Only" or does it just make it "BIGGER Cam Only" ?

Seems to me Fly Cutting to allow for a bigger CAM to fit in efforts for more performance is what Cam only is all about.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

i guess its a fine line cuz there is no written rules...
Since this is the case, maybe I should make a sticky with the designated "cam only rules" since this is basicially an ls1tech "class", so to speak....

You guys decide what you want to do, and I'll make a sticky for it.

IMO, the only thing that should be required for it is:

4th gen f body car, "stock" suspension... no back 1/2's etc.

whatever you want to do with the driveline do it, no clutchless tranny's like a liberty or the like.

Motor wise:

Stock crank, rods, pistons, stock casting heads not porting decking clean up's, valve jobs, etc. Stock, or drop in replacement lifters, no solid roller stuff. Other then that, do what you want as far as engine management, intake, flycutting, rod bolts, etc. NO dry sump oiling systems, you want to put an aftermarket pan on go ahead, your $. Oil pump, timing set, all that stuff go ahead replace it, you're in that far at that point anyway.

I'd be more strict about that.. but the problem is that these ls1 engines are getting older, and the liklyhood of finding a perfect one that's healthy enough to be up to the task, without needing a refresh (rings, bearings and whatnot) is probably getting slim, or at least harder.

Feel free to discuss it, and if the general consensus is one or another that's fine.

Come up with the definite "rules", and I'll make a sticky. This way anyone that wants to take a shot at it, at least knows what the limitations are. Not that there's an official board that goes around checking this stuff.. it's on the honor system for all intensive purposes.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

4th gen f body car, "stock" suspension... no back 1/2's etc.

whatever you want to do with the driveline do it, no clutchless tranny's like a liberty or the like.

Motor wise:

Stock crank, rods, pistons, stock casting heads not porting decking clean up's, valve jobs, etc. Stock, or drop in replacement lifters, no solid roller stuff. Other then that, do what you want as far as engine management, intake, flycutting, rod bolts, etc. NO dry sump oiling systems, you want to put an aftermarket pan on go ahead, your $. Oil pump, timing set, all that stuff go ahead replace it, you're in that far at that point anyway.

Looks good to me. Realistic too.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Banned

I don't have any... There were some in that make over thread.
Here is the link to the make over thread for those that wanted and idea as to what the car looked like under the hood. Bad *** work for sure.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-5-1-pics.html
Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the link to the make over thread for those that wanted and idea as to what the car looked like under the hood. Bad *** work for sure.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-5-1-pics.html
Damn!!! I see now how they got to the 2900 or 2875 pounds thats nuts.

Gives me alot of ideas to work with thanks for posting .
Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Scary thing is that it could be alot lighter.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 AM
8 Second Club

Every Cam only car has Cam/Sprins/Intake/Throttle Body/Headers/Electric Water Pump and what not. Fly cutting in my opinion is not cam only now your starting to internal modify the motor for performance advantages. have to draw a line on were it stops....
YUP.
Machine work is a modification.
This car ran the number without any...
Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Since this is the case, maybe I should make a sticky with the designated "cam only rules"

Come up with the definite "rules", and I'll make a sticky. This way anyone that wants to take a shot at it, at least knows what the limitations are.
Making a "STICKY" would be a good idea. There has always been ALOT of interset in this "RECORD".
I would think that since Chris and Charlie hold this internet record, using there car as a guideline would be a good start. Now when others are chasing this "Record", they will all know what it took to run the 9.98 and what deviations to there own cars they have, If any, in the attempt of claiming the title.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Banned

JL's guidelines look fine.

Get over the Fly Cutting. It is not a performance mod in it's self. If anything you are lowering compression. Diminishing performance .
It does allow you to run a larger Cam. This increases performance. IE: "CAM ONLY".

Rebuttal?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should be "stock bottom end" and no headwork other than springs.

I think you are looking too far into the wording though and people will manipulate the words in the rules to suit their setups. Hell, that's racing!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

The problem will be this. Someone fly cuts some pistons. Adds some rod bolts. Tosses in a custom donkey dick cam. Then proceeds to beat the standing record by a tenth or hundreth then the deal is done. Some will bitch over the fly cuts and rod bolts. Some will come out and respect the accomplishment. At the end of the day it is still a "Cam Only" car. It's just a more extreme version.

Racing is racing. Manipulating the unwritten or written rules is gonna happen.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

The problem will be this. Someone fly cuts some pistons. Adds some rod bolts. Tosses in a custom donkey dick cam. Then proceeds to beat the standing record by a tenth or hundreth then the deal is done. Some will bitch over the fly cuts and rod bolts. Some will come out and respect the accomplishment. At the end of the day it is still a "Cam Only" car. It's just a more extreme version.

Racing is racing. Manipulating the unwritten or written rules is gonna happen.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 AM
8 Second Club

Funny thing about this thread i just pulled the motor out of the car yesterday and will be putting the 440 LSX in today i will take some pics
Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

Double post.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on the record that thing is movin. Man there are some cry babies in here though.

JL, why not allow solid roller stuff? It seems kinda silly.

Quick Reply: 9s CAM ONLY new record !!!!