Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor out, how to remove front part of heater box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motor out, how to remove front part of heater box?

Like the title says, my motor is out of the car right now. The dash is still in. A/C gone already. Is it possible to remove the front part of the heater box off the firewall without taking the dash apart? Do I just remove all the visible 10mm bolts I can see and it will come away from the firewall?

I know to retain my heat I will have to cut a portion of the heater box away by the blend door and put an aluminum panel there or something for air travel. Also as far as the block off plate goes, is it possible to install it on the inside of the firewall from the engine bay without taking the dash apart?

My car is at the shop almost 2hrs away so I want to get it all done in 1 trip so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC it all comes out as one unit but its been a while. As for the block off it usually installed from the inside and cant be installed on the inside from the outside. Pulling it out isnt bad, if you are going to race it and pull the a/c out pulling the dash and a/c is worth it IMO.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

search on here. some guys have done it, hammer, smash, break it apart. or sawsall it the best they can. Then you had to brake a little notch out inside the box, to get a open passage outlet on the blower motor. Go get air to the ducts, stock the box has the outlet of the blower motor that goes into the engine bay part. Some guys have to put a piece of sheet metal to remake the inner passage, so it can look flush in the engine bay. Then they make a smaller plate like 1 1/2 2inch smaller then the firewall hole, and use screws or glue it to the front of the HAVC. And culk it in. But it looks really getto and hack. I'm sure you can do a nice job but I'd just pull the dash, and get the whole unit out. I made a lighter small simple heater. once you get the stock out there a ton of room back there to do somthing better. Plus the airbag is 14#s

just reread that you know a bit about modding the box. But if you still have a airbag, and the airbag brace. you can get all the outside bolts, but there still some behind the dash I think. I did the heaterbox with airbag. But you had to tip the dash forward in you lap and feel around the back for a few 7mm the face you. Bet even so its not like there extra room back there, you can unbolt the HVAC box bolts. But don't thing your gona move it around to cut it better or anything. They designed everything really tight. if anything I think you would have it bolted in so you can cut/break it better.

Last edited by studderin; 12-12-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it breaks apart with a hammer very easy.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Very well bob the builder method it is lol.. I guess I was under the impression that the heater unit was 2 pieces and it was connected to the firewall on the inside of the car and in the engine bay.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it was 2 pieces with some small 7mm point screws, but it had some glue or a melted seam I couldn't get it apart fully. I had itout and wanted to take the copper and alum out. But had to break it a little anyway. Don't remember fully why but I couldn't completely unbolt it the way the parts are assembled? I was freezing my *** off at the time
Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's a pita to get out.... you're not doing it without removing the dash, that I am 100% on.

BUt, with the motor out, at least it's easy to get to the engine bay portions....
Old 12-12-2010, 08:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep dash has to come out
Old 12-12-2010, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Sweet.. thanks for the info guys.. maybe I'll just have the shop do it and save me the head ache lol
Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah but then your *** is gunna hurt
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The write up is in my sig.