Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much should this cost?

To check out my block, clean it,
install splayed caps (drill/line hone),
new bearings, freeze plugs
balance the rotating assembly
and assemble it with a possible half fill.

What do you guys think this should cost???? I will be supplying everything but the bearings
Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One mileeion dollarz!! Sorry, I had to. lol
Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I think around $1000 is my expected bill when I build my motor.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I can give you one good piece of advise... don't do what you're doing. Go to an engine builder, let them make a couple bucks on the parts, and you'll end up with alot better piece. A guy that builds you a shortblock, even if you reuse your block, will take a TOM better care of you if you let him make a couple bucks on the parts, then if you bring him a box of **** and say here put this together. You'll get someone to do that yes, but I guarintee that if there's anything wrong with the parts, they're gonna say oh well your supplied parts sucks to be you.... whereas if they got them, they will take care of you.

I've watched a TON of people do that over the years trying to save a hundred bucks or whatever.... don't do it man, it's not worth it.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I can give you one good piece of advise... don't do what you're doing. Go to an engine builder, let them make a couple bucks on the parts, and you'll end up with alot better piece. A guy that builds you a shortblock, even if you reuse your block, will take a TOM better care of you if you let him make a couple bucks on the parts, then if you bring him a box of **** and say here put this together. You'll get someone to do that yes, but I guarintee that if there's anything wrong with the parts, they're gonna say oh well your supplied parts sucks to be you.... whereas if they got them, they will take care of you.

I've watched a TON of people do that over the years trying to save a hundred bucks or whatever.... don't do it man, it's not worth it.

Agree totally JL... I did the same thing the OP is trying to do and had a NIGHTMARE of an experience. Builder wasn't making as much, so he allocated his time accordingly. Had to take it back 3 different times because of problems (2X the cam bearings were jacked up and the other because the clearences on a few rods were jacked).
Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup...went to my motor builder with a plan of bringing them parts and they talked me into letting them supply the parts for me...they only saved me 100 bucks over the parts i was going to buy, but they also did have a problem with my crank bearings and had to get different ones....the owner of the shop drove to indiana to get the correct bearings...better costumer service when you just let them do it all.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

x4 Find you a good machinist like I did and he will get you the parts cheaper than you can get them yourself!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Ok this is the deal. I bought a BRAND NEW freshly machined never run 383 that was done by Borowski Racing Enterprises. The guy that had it built never installed it and some how it ended up with water in the oil pan while he was at school and I got it cheap.
I pulled everything apart checked & cleaned it all out every thing is mint inside no rust or anything.
All Im doing is having it checked out, changing to higher CR pistons, and adding splayed mains. There are 0 miles on all of my parts, the builder will supply the bearings, freeze plugs, do the fill, splayed caps & balance it. It wont go to some hack shop either, its going to one of 3 places that I trust very much and all are sponsors here and local to me.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you should be calling those 3 shops to get estimates to compare. lol
Old 12-22-2010, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Already did. Just waiting on the last one. The reason Im asking is there is huge price differences.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of ball park figures you've been getting?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I find in a case like this you get what you pay for. Don't just base your decision on price. If you can, find guys who have used those particular shops and get their opinions on their work, how active they are in the racing world, or even go to each shop and talk with them individually.

I was originally going to go with a small local shop, until I got steered to Gil Davis Racing Engines, who actually sponsors Cecil County Dragway (there's a logo on their main page) and has won engine builder of the year at Atco Raceway for 7 years in a row. At that point, money wasn't much of an object and my decision was made for me.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Im not basing it on price I just want to know how one shop says 700 the other says 1500. Both are really well known shops. One is AES the other is Clayton racing. Still waiting on the last quote.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd let AES do it, they know what they're doing.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Yes they sure do and thats why they are in my top choices. Clayton racing does a LOT of LT1s though and are a very good shop. Im waiting on Speedinc, and Legend Racing to get back at me. All of the above shops do top notch work. AES is like 10 minutes from me which is great, Speedinc and Legend are 15min and Clayton is about 30min away. Its nice to have this many good shops around. Theres a few more but these are my top choices. Might look into Fast Times also.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

sent you an email
Old 12-22-2010, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome! You know your in my top choices!

New splayed caps/studs and pistons came in today! Nothing bling blind like that Eddie or phil guy....lol JK but it should handle what ill do to it!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Old 12-22-2010, 11:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Might look into Fast Times also.
Fast Times Motorworks is no longer in business, the building I think was starting to be wrecked last weekend.

Jeff has another business that is doing well.
http://www.dagsdelivers.com
Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by aes racing
fast times motorworks is no longer in business, the building i think was starting to be wrecked last weekend.

Jeff has another business that is doing well.
http://www.dagsdelivers.com
roflmao

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much should this cost?