Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does your local track do for the street car crowd?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What does your local track do for the street car crowd?

Our local NHRA track used to have open street legal drags (Test/Tune nights) on about every other Thursday night during the racing season. It's really gone down hill in the last few years, and attendance is waning to the point that they've reduced those events down to 7-8 per year, they barely prep the track anymore and that's just making it worse. The advisory board is looking for some fresh ideas to get people to start coming back and making these events more successful. Post up what your home track does......

-cost? (racers/spectators)
-what night?
-how often?
-does it get advertised? how?
-do street tires & slicks get dedicated lanes?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our local track has a Friday night fun night, its 15 to race and 5 to spectate. They usually do it every friday unless weather or laziness hits lol. they dont do anything about the street tire crowd, usually the racers let the people going through the water know to go around. We usually get a decent crowd every friday, especially at the beginning of the season.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infineon raceway in Sonoma, CA has Wednesday night drags March through early November. The format is side-by-side test-and-tune for two or three hours in the late afternoon followed by bracket-style eliminations starting about 6:30. I most enjoy the TnT part because it amounts to heads-up drag racing against a very interesting variety of cars. Track preparation is almost always very good. Usual turnout is 150 – 200 cars and a handful of spectators. I feel very fortunate to have access to this world-class racing facility.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Irwindale has open TNT every thursday. $10 to spectate $10 to race. They run from 5-10 and easily 200+ cars show up every week.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

KCIR has test/tune racing every Wednesday and Friday night 6-10 pm through the spring and summer and when its starts cooling off they are open Saturdays 1-5. 20 bucks to race 10 to watch. Track prep is really hit or miss. Nothing an adjustment here or there cant usually fix.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Irwindale has open TNT every thursday. $10 to spectate $10 to race. They run from 5-10 and easily 200+ cars show up every week.
Yea it'd be fanastic if they did LESS for the ricers and ran brackets at least once a month and upped the price to 50 bucks. Plus the shutdown area is scary as **** at 100+ on bias-plies. Can't complain about the prep though, it's usually pretty decent even with the hondas dragging water everywhere.

Supposedly fontana is going to start doing street legals at least twice a month with the new ownership or something like that. Never going back after last time I got a nail in my ET Street on the return road, wtf. I'm in a happy mood today
Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

My local track (Kil-Kare Dragway) runs weekly TNT nights on thursdays throughout the racing season. $15 to race, $5 to watch. I run brackets and the occasional TNT and they draw way more spectators on TNT nights. Car counts are normally pretty good, 150+ cars almost every week.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

raceway park (nj) has 2 or 3 t&t a week. wednesday nights are gamblers nights. they take all of the big money races off of the street and onto the track. i saw a few $10,000-$20,000 races this summer. that might attract more people to your track.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

My local 1/8th mile track has a cruise night that trumps them all. They teamed up with some local radio DJ's and they host a cruise night on Wednesday nights. It is called the Shred/Ragan cruise. Here is why it is sucessful:

1. It is free to get in
2. It is $5 per run to run your car
3. There is NO tech inspection
4. There are portable beer stands everywhere

On a good night there are honestly 10-15 thousand people there, no joke. The drags are running non-stop for 4 hours. No trailered cars are allowed, it is for street cars only. The infield will have 300-400 cars and 300-400 bikes, and the "show" area will have another 150 cars in it.

Here's a video I shot at around 7:00 pm at one of the events. The place was about 50% full at this point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww3aUiSkUwY

A few more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZS0ZGkK1ZA
Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

music city raceway(nashville) has tnt and street legal bracket racing on tuesday and friday nights from april 1 to halloween. They have bike classes and car classes. $15 to race/$10 to watch. Tuesday have 2 to3 times the turn out.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

ORP..Really little track outside of Springfield MO..Looks run down but new owners are trying to make the best of it. Its held a test & tune forever soo..

Every Friday: Test & Tune 5:00-10:00 Run anything..
Spec. $10 Racers: $15
All over the local fourms, radio...
Street tires/ Radials/ Slicks have there own lanes..
In the summer..lots of people come out..

One Sat. out of the month they do a "Midnight Madness" thats nothing but street cars and it gets busy with a lot of fast ****, same prices, I think they even do some betting..
Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

my home track is Beaver Springs Dragway. they have something going on every weekend friday thru sunday. unless its a big holiday weekend like labor day or a memorial race.

friday is a street car event. about 10 classes run. get about an average of 3 runs in before elminations. saturday is an all day test and tune. Sunday is the IHRA event.

-cost? (racers/spectators) Friday-$25 for racers. $5 for spectators $10 a car load. Saturday is $40 but you can get as much as 30 time shots in. spectators are free. Sunday it varies from class to class. spectators are still $5
-what night? Friday, Saturday, Sunday
-how often? every weekend from late march to early november
-does it get advertised? how? radio mostly.
-do street tires & slicks get dedicated lanes? nope. just go by class on friday and sunday. saturday is whatever
Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Our local NHRA track used to have open street legal drags (Test/Tune nights) on about every other Thursday night during the racing season. It's really gone down hill in the last few years, and attendance is waning to the point that they've reduced those events down to 7-8 per year, they barely prep the track anymore and that's just making it worse. The advisory board is looking for some fresh ideas to get people to start coming back and making these events more successful. Post up what your home track does......

-cost? (racers/spectators)
-what night?
-how often?
-does it get advertised? how?
-do street tires & slicks get dedicated lanes?
Lebenon Valley Dragway (LVD)

-Cost- Race $20, "Crew" $10
-Wednesday Night (IMO should be friday)
-Every week starting in April until last Week of September
-Locally, On line
-No dedicated lanes, Slicks not allowed. Needs to have Mufflers and DOT Drag Radials at worst.

- They do points, and there is a Trophy and some $$$ for winning. I have won a event many years ago. Very proud of that.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

lvms......pretty much gives you the finger. I ve been kickd off in a street car, for going to fast, cause in thier own words, we didnt prep the track......."can I have my money back then"......no....

Their test and tunes are ussually 50$.....some are 25. Their street car events are midnight mayham....and well its appropriate cause the way the run th etrack it turns into mayham.

mm is 10$ but you ll get 6-10 passes on a good night with 2 being in the beggining, and 4 being the last 15 minutes before they close.....

brackets are 35$ to race for a trophy....and 45 and up to win money, which sometimes isnt even your entry.
We could race through the winter....when temps are good for racing but NOOOOO, they close up shop, cause they dont understand that cold air helps race cars. They prefer running in august when the nightime temp is in the 90's with humidity.

Separate classes? whats that? even brackets are only 4 classses, and that includes bikes.....

One night, I was going to the final in brackets, and they wouldnt let my wife in at the gate at 8:30.....she had to wait till 9 pm.....all over by then......staff was there, etc....the dumbasses at the helm just told them to no allow people in between 830 and 900....

"racers" dont get searched, but then if your a street car, (all the same parking lot) your car gets searched (even bikes) and you get pated down or wanded with a metal detector.

For a period they would NOT allow tools....cause they were weapons..... they keep them in buckets, and at the end of the night you just go get whats yours on honor.....yea, that worked well as the staff took everything. The staff has also changed the entry price, like raise the spectator fee to $6 instead of 5 with out telling anyone.....and walk away with a nice tip at the end of the night. When its brought up, hey just blow you off, just like track prep, lanes, water etc....pretty much anything having to do with running a race track they dont want to hear about.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Launching!

I went to LVMS as a spectator and it was the best track I've ever been to,

I thought about moving back there just so I could run that track,

Vegas is usually a pretty loose environment But I guess things have changed ?

Our track was shut down a few years ago in N. LA County

Thus I need a new track

Too many cars at Irwindale for me
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

We have test and tune almost any day theres not an event going on at the tracks already.
We also Have RSD (Real Street Drags) and SCC (Street car challenge) Both simulate street style racing at least once a month, were you can spot cars out give the hit use the tree, flashlight armdrop, basically how ever you set up the race. Its just like street racing but legally and on a much safer prepped to the max surface. Lots of money races go down too. I also know Milan has NO ET which is the same but Ive never been there.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vette0009
I went to LVMS as a spectator and it was the best track I've ever been to,

I thought about moving back there just so I could run that track,

Vegas is usually a pretty loose environment But I guess things have changed ?

Our track was shut down a few years ago in N. LA County

Thus I need a new track

Too many cars at Irwindale for me

the facility is great.......the management.......well thats another story.

Some racers in vegas travel to utah, az, or ca even if lvms is open the same day.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

No Problem Raceway has a Pro Test/Tune followed by Midnight Madness once a month on Saturdays. Pro Testing is for slick tire cars only and is from 5-8PM after which the street cars are allowed to run until 1AM. The track gets full NHRA event prep for the cars so the bite is really good for the first hour or so until the street tires take there toll.

Pricing for the Pro testing is $40, Midnight Madness is $20 to race, and spectators are $10 a person. Last year they were doing something called "pack the track"(IIRC) on Midnight Madness nights where a car load of spectators was $20 regardless how many people it was. I don't know if that is still going on.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Yea it'd be fanastic if they did LESS for the ricers and ran brackets at least once a month and upped the price to 50 bucks. Plus the shutdown area is scary as **** at 100+ on bias-plies. Can't complain about the prep though, it's usually pretty decent even with the hondas dragging water everywhere.

Supposedly fontana is going to start doing street legals at least twice a month with the new ownership or something like that. Never going back after last time I got a nail in my ET Street on the return road, wtf. I'm in a happy mood today
Yea Irwindales track prep is pretty good for a street legal event. Like Wicked said though the ricers kill it as well as the bikes.

A fox body will dip into the low 6s(1/8th mile) and nobody cheers but a ****** crx runs an 8.4 and everyones on their feet!