Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IRS drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IRS drag racing

Hi, are there any guys on here racing with a IRS setup ie a Pontiac GTO?
I was wondering if there is anything that can be done with the stock suspension too make the car hook up better? My car hooks up reasonably well but seems to squat alot in the rear on the launch, so much so that the rear bumper hits the track. So far I have managed a best 60 foot of 1.52.
I already have a set of 90/10 shocks in the front and some harder shocks in the rear but was wondering if anyone has played with different spring rates both front and rear?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In general I am not at all a fan of racing IRS cars. Guys out there do it and your 60 foot is impressive given its a m12 car too.

From what I read is people are just throwing all that they can at the suspension and upgrading nearly everything. Peddlers seems the ones that get the nod when modding a car up.

What tire are you running, DR or Full Bias-ply?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would recommend using some airbags in the rear to help control the squat. We make a set that is very affordable and super easy to install. We have many guys in the states cutting real good 60ft times with only these and a set of good wheels/tires. Here is a picture of them.
Attached Thumbnails IRS drag racing-db001_med.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
In general I am not at all a fan of racing IRS cars. Guys out there do it and your 60 foot is impressive given its a m12 car too.

From what I read is people are just throwing all that they can at the suspension and upgrading nearly everything. Peddlers seems the ones that get the nod when modding a car up.

What tire are you running, DR or Full Bias-ply?
I am running a 26x8.5 M/T et drag tire ATM. I would like too see the 60 foot around low 1.4 if possible.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I would recommend using some airbags in the rear to help control the squat. We make a set that is very affordable and super easy to install. We have many guys in the states cutting real good 60ft times with only these and a set of good wheels/tires. Here is a picture of them.
Thanks for that can you please PM me a price inc shipping to Adelaide, South Australia? What sort of pressure do you run in these air bags? Does this affect what tire pressures you run in the slicks? I am currently running around 11-13 PSI in the slicks depending on track surface any more than that and it just turns the tires.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BradSV8
Thanks for that can you please PM me a price inc shipping to Adelaide, South Australia? What sort of pressure do you run in these air bags? Does this affect what tire pressures you run in the slicks? I am currently running around 11-13 PSI in the slicks depending on track surface any more than that and it just turns the tires.
You will be getting a PM shortly. I have had guys run anywhere from 10lbs-30lbs in them, I generally start at 15lbs and go up from there. Each car is different so some will like a little more than others. What exact tires are you running? is it a soft or stiff side wall slick? With things setup right we can definitely get you a better 60ft.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
You will be getting a PM shortly. I have had guys run anywhere from 10lbs-30lbs in them, I generally start at 15lbs and go up from there. Each car is different so some will like a little more than others. What exact tires are you running? is it a soft or stiff side wall slick? With things setup right we can definitely get you a better 60ft.
Thanks, I have no idea on what sidewall the slicks are. My local shop only has 1 type of 26 x 8 x 15 slicks in stock. It has CY8JL8KL2208 written on the sidewall if thats any help?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BradSV8
Thanks, I have no idea on what sidewall the slicks are. My local shop only has 1 type of 26 x 8 x 15 slicks in stock. It has CY8JL8KL2208 written on the sidewall if thats any help?
That number doesn't ring a bell, with a car as heavy as yours you want to run a stiff sidewall slick and keep the pressure generally anywhere from 15lbs -18lbs. Most guys run a Mickey Thompson ET Drag with the stiff sidewall.

Quick Reply: IRS drag racing