Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need pics of pin on firebird hood mounts please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm building a new front radiator support/bumper support so I'm going to tie the front mounts into that. From what I've seen it's the rear mounts that are tough to make look clean.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I cant find any good pictures or good looking ways to pin the front? Im looking to get this hood and plan on getting a set of Camaro Rails and making them fit, but what about the front?? I want it clean and nice looking..
I posted pics of mine on page 2. I am running just a single center pin on the front of mine. With the rails on the sides and nothing in the back. I've made multiple mid 9 second passes and over a 1,000 street miles this way with no issues at all.

I've seen guys put more dzus fasteners across the front to hold it down also.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was planning on putting 4 along the sides of the hood, one above each headlight cover, one in the center, and 3 along the back. I am cutting the ears off the hood in the corners and having a permanent piece of sheet metal made to sit at the top corners of the engine bay... so every time the hood comes on and off I don't scratch up the nub's of the 1/4 panels.

Guy that's going to do the cage over is going to make tabs to mount the hood when the engine bay cutting/rebuild is done. I'll get pictures up when it's completed, car should be in the shop over the winter.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have four on each side, planning on four up front and two in the back. I have almost ni clearence between my TB and whats left of the cowl so id have to add two to the underside of the cowl.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I have four on each side, planning on four up front and two in the back. I have almost ni clearence between my TB and whats left of the cowl so id have to add two to the underside of the cowl.
What intake and tb do you have, how much of the cowl did you cut out?
Any pics.
I'm putting a super vic and 4150 tb in my '99 ta. I'm going to cut all the cowl out.
I'm thinking about the VFN 5" sloped hood, since there's not alot of options
on hoods for this kind of set-up.
Just wondering how much clearance I would have from the top of the tb to the hood.
Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
What intake and tb do you have, how much of the cowl did you cut out?
Any pics.
I'm putting a super vic and 4150 tb in my '99 ta. I'm going to cut all the cowl out.
I'm thinking about the VFN 5" sloped hood, since there's not alot of options
on hoods for this kind of set-up.
Just wondering how much clearance I would have from the top of the tb to the hood.
Thanks
Dont have any pics, ill have to take a couple today. Im running a Vic Jr with a 4500 TB, adapter and a 1" spacer that ill eventually replace with a nitrous plate. The cowl is completely gone, I have about a 1/4" below the windshield.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

Thank you sir, how much clearance do you have from the top of tb to the hood?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I cant find any good pictures or good looking ways to pin the front? Im looking to get this hood and plan on getting a set of Camaro Rails and making them fit, but what about the front?? I want it clean and nice looking..
Why you going to a full pin on hood? I have a 4" sloped WS6 hood. Its a bolt on though.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by a98ws6
Why you going to a full pin on hood? I have a 4" sloped WS6 hood. Its a bolt on though.
Im sure for weight savings and extending it to the windshield so the cowl can be hacked off.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are a few pics of my setup. 4500 throttle body, Vic Jr intake, 1" spacer and the 4150 to 4500 adapter.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

MrElectric, what tb do you have, and where did you get it?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the pics.
When you cut your cowl, did you roll the bottom part up to the top part and then welded them together?
Cowl looks great.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 AM
Launching!

Bringing this back...Here is a little info for my fellow TA guys:

Im in process of using racecraft rails not for a Camaro but for a *ahem* sn95 mustang...after discussing it with them, it was the closest car that had a curve to the fenders although not a curved as a TA. They need to be modified (cut down like you would a Camaro rail, but instead of 4 per side you will now have 5) and it is a little more tedious to install but the end result will be worth it imo.
It also requires you to notch the fender lip where the mounting tabs are so they can sit flush against the fender before you drill holes to rivet it...and doing all this you will still need to trim the lip off the hood itself(but the way the rails mount it will allow the hood to sit flush with the fender after trimming). I will post pics when I am finished but just wanted to share that little bit of info for those who are stuck on what to do.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM
9 Second Club

Good find.
I still have a lip in the edges of my hood and it sits flush. But since every brand and mold is different. One will have to test fit their hood and see how much grinding they will need to do.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Yeah I'd say I'm going to have about 3/16" of a lip on the hood..,each one is different lol
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
9 Second Club

Mine has quite a bit more left then that.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

I thought I had seen this thread a while back and I lost it (tried searching but never could find it) and its back from the dead. I'm glad it is!

I ended up emailing racecraft the last week and still no reply. but this thread should help me. I'm gunna order a 5" sloped hood here pretty soon and I guess I'll try the racecraft rails.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by a98ws6
MrElectric, what tb do you have, and where did you get it?
Cant remember what brand it is now, I bought it used from a member on here.

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
Thanks for the pics.
When you cut your cowl, did you roll the bottom part up to the top part and then welded them together?
Cowl looks great.
Sorry didnt see these posts, Nope I just cut it off all the way across. Im going to use the stuff they put on door edges on it so I dont cut my hand all up everytime I work on it.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Outlaw666
Bringing this back...Here is a little info for my fellow TA guys:

Im in process of using racecraft rails not for a Camaro but for a *ahem* sn95 mustang...after discussing it with them, it was the closest car that had a curve to the fenders although not a curved as a TA. They need to be modified (cut down like you would a Camaro rail, but instead of 4 per side you will now have 5) and it is a little more tedious to install but the end result will be worth it imo.
It also requires you to notch the fender lip where the mounting tabs are so they can sit flush against the fender before you drill holes to rivet it...and doing all this you will still need to trim the lip off the hood itself(but the way the rails mount it will allow the hood to sit flush with the fender after trimming). I will post pics when I am finished but just wanted to share that little bit of info for those who are stuck on what to do.
Any pics yet?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Launching!

no lol, a few words of advise...DO NOT USE RIVETS ON THE RAILS!!!

Im in process(slowly!) of changing out to ss 6-32's and nylocks...when complete, I will post up!

Quick Reply: Need pics of pin on firebird hood mounts please!