Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else to do during carpet swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else to do during carpet swap ?

I have my carpet and all interior out now...trying to get anything i need done out of the way before i glue it down and i dont wanna miss any opportunities....

-i remmeber JL WS6 saying somewhere the seam sealer was heavy but i dont remember how much, it doesent look that heavy hopefully you chime in JL

-read something about a gastank brace?

-was also thinking of takin the dash out and getting the insulation out and maybe modifiing stuff in tehre for some weight ?

-anything i can change with the heat i remember chrs1313 talking about it but i didnt really understand

Any other pointers shout them out !!! thanks fellas
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

i dunno about how much the seam sealer actually weighed but, i probably filled a 5 gal bucket with all that i scrapped out. the "gas tank brace" i think you might be thinking of the upper panhard bar support, which yes this can be removed, some say leave it, some take it out, i've had mine out for a while with no issues, its def decent weight to, dont have the exact weight though. there is a rubber mat against the firewall w/ sound deadening, thats also weight that can be removed, as well as old factory wiring, air bags, modules etc.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

gas tank brace, is a square bar spot welded under the car on the front up in the rearend hump. There 3-4 spot welds form the outside, then a row form inside behind the back seat.

You can do everything your talking about it, but its like 20x the work of going a carpet swap (1-3 hours?), not "just while your there" quick work. So plan on the car being down if you want to get all this done.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 00blacka4
I have my carpet and all interior out now...trying to get anything i need done out of the way before i glue it down and i dont wanna miss any opportunities....

-i remmeber JL WS6 saying somewhere the seam sealer was heavy but i dont remember how much, it doesent look that heavy hopefully you chime in JL

-read something about a gastank brace?

-was also thinking of takin the dash out and getting the insulation out and maybe modifiing stuff in tehre for some weight ?

-anything i can change with the heat i remember chrs1313 talking about it but i didnt really understand

Any other pointers shout them out !!! thanks fellas

Did you take out that rubber matt looking thing that does over the hump in front of the shifter? What is that thing anyway? Does everyone take that out when doing lightweight carpet?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by studderin
gas tank brace, is a square bar spot welded under the car on the front up in the rearend hump. There 3-4 spot welds form the outside, then a row form inside behind the back seat.

You can do everything your talking about it, but its like 20x the work of going a carpet swap (1-3 hours?), not "just while your there" quick work. So plan on the car being down if you want to get all this done.
The extera work is fine, the car is down for awhile anyway, i relize its not just a quick thing but i may as well do it all before putting the carpet back in
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I am going to do the rubber on the firewall when I do the Hvac stuff but thats all I know of besides the sealer crap, In for some more response. Nice Title under your name there lol.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 AM

damnit JL !!! hahaha ^^^ i didnt even see that you ****** !!....i cash them, sometimes..
Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

you should run DS2 on the street with bogarts, but keep the stock dash mat, and everything and be max effort
hardcore d00d
Old 04-16-2011, 05:29 PM
9 Second Club

Seam sealer? Really?
c'mon.
the firewall padding is pretty heavy as is carpet.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tektrans
Seam sealer? Really?
c'mon.
the firewall padding is pretty heavy as is carpet.
What else would you call it? But yes the firewall padding is damn heavy.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 AM

you should run DS2 on the street with bogarts, but keep the stock dash mat, and everything and be max effort
hardcore d00d
Im getting rid of the dash mat, and i remember JL saying something about how heavy that seamsealer was in that car, i dont how thats why i was wanting some opinions and suggestions for anything else that can be found
Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what your fueling situation is but a access panel for the fuel pump would make fuel pump/filter changes a breeze.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:00 PM

eh, that can be done anytime because im leaving the rear carpet stock, but thanks for the suggestion! Another thing im planning on doing is getting an "in dash" antenna that way i can get rid of the antenna in back, and the metal bracket it is mounted to, and plug the hole....hopefully if i get done with my sidejobs i can remove the dash tonight and get the dash mat out of there, and maybe cut the "dash brace" out if anyone has pictures of this...
Old 04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having seen JL personally grind all that seam sealer out, its definitly time consuming. Is it worth it. Not for me to say. I would think for a dedicated drag car, it be a smart move. If it sees street duty, i would leave it there.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:59 PM

iv been working on the big chunks of seam sealer with a puddy knife, comes of fairly easy once you get under it...my car doesent see rain and is a weekend nice day car
Old 04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Wire wheel takes it off. Not hard, just time consuming, and makes a mess.

Tek, when I started after the sealer in my car, I emptied out my shop vac, weighed it. After doing as much as I could get to (cage in the way in the front corners, will have to wait to get that out), and then sweeping/ shop vacuuming it all out of the car and off the garage floor (which was clean before I started, garage is usually as clean as my house LOL) it was 17 lbs.

I know that's not a ton, and it was a ton of time to get it out, but 17 lbs, for the cost, of the electricity, my time and 3 wire wheel's, used with my electric drill.

Pita.. but that's 17 more lbs out. And when you have a goal of 2800 with 100 lbs of ballast... you take out what you can.

Of course now I'm going to probably end up cutting the whole back out and back 1/2ing the car, since it just makes more sense for what I want to do, so that work was a waste... but it was still worth it to me, just to know what you can take out, if you want to.

I would do that for a street driven car too. If anything, I'd take it all out, then maybe get some and put it back with a LIGHT thin bead with my finger along the seams, and then paint the floor over. I'f guess you could still get 10 lbs out of a car doing that, if you wanted to take the time.

The rubber firewall mat.. that thing weigh's ALOT. I don't know exactly what, but I know it's over 10 lbs of useless material. Only thing it does is deaden sound. And if you're putting in ozite carpet... you have no reason to be concerned about that IMO.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:42 PM

Thanks JL, Iv been working on the seamsealer its pretty time consuming but if i can get over 10lbs by doing it, well worth the time...Im taking the dash out and gettin that heavy pad outta there, and also triming the dash brace (talked to studderin about that), also adding an in dash antenna so i can get rid of that antenna bracket and stuff all in the back....

Anything else you guys can let me know about while i have this dash out would be awesome, and thanks for all the input !
Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM

...and off topic ordered my ARH 1 7/8 headers 2 days ago
Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

you taking the HVAC out? passenger side airbag?
is like 15 with the brace.
there gona be some padding on the floor near the shifter too.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:00 PM

you taking the HVAC out? passenger side airbag?
is like 15 with the brace.
there gona be some padding on the floor near the shifter too.
HVAC is heat right ? leaving heat and AC... If i ride in a car without AC it looks like i just jogged to wherever im going ....and airbag is staying for now (unless i talk myself out of it, girlfriend rides in the car with me but old cars didng have airbags)