Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 2 step? MSD 8733 vs LNC-002/003?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Which 2 step? MSD 8733 vs LNC-002/003?

I've been in the market for a 2 step. I was all set to buy the MSD back at the end of last racing season, due to reading the poor reviews and lack of customer service with the Lingenfelter units. Then, I came across that LPE redid their units so the seem to be okay now. Now I'm finding out that the LNC-002 is no longer available on their website and now it's the new LNC-003s.

Does anybody have experience with the LNC-003s? My gut is telling me to go MSD, but I like the idea of hooking up the 2nd stage to my line lock with the LNC if the quality is there. Thanks for any help!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with MSD for the same reason. Of course i haven't even fired that car up yet, so I can't speak from personal experience.

I know 2 people from our local board that had issues with the LNC ones, so i bought MSD.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the MSD unit because I also read about issues with the LNC units. So far my MSD 2step has been flawless. I only run a single stage but I have it set up to spray once the 2step is disengaged.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put the MSD piece on my car friday, it literally took 5 minutes. On some test runs it works great.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im selling my MSD lol. I loved it when the car ran, but am going a different route a no longer need one.

Shoot me a PM if you wanna buy an MSD that has maybe 1000 miles on it lol
Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the MSD and it has worked perfect for me. Also easy to hook up.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Im selling my MSD lol. I loved it when the car ran, but am going a different route a no longer need one.

Shoot me a PM if you wanna buy an MSD that has maybe 1000 miles on it lol
I sent you a PM question. Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1curt
I run the MSD and it has worked perfect for me. Also easy to hook up.
How is intall on a car with an A4? I saw on MSDs site about using a clutch switch for activation
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i currently have it hooked up to my t-brake but i did have it hooked up to the foot brake before. all it needs is a power to work and then when the power is disconected, ie. letting off the brake, the 2-step is deactivated
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1curt
i currently have it hooked up to my t-brake but i did have it hooked up to the foot brake before. all it needs is a power to work and then when the power is disconected, ie. letting off the brake, the 2-step is deactivated
ok,thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely getting the MSD. Sounds like it's uber easy to hook up and has no issues on when it wants to work or not unlike the LPE.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

they are having a group buy right now. idk with one to get either
Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Lingenfelter LNC-002 2-step with timing retard replacement now available

We finished testing today on the chassis dynamometer with the LNC-2000. The LNC-2000 is the replacement for the LNC-002. Based on the results of this testing and the testing completed before, the LNC-2000 is now released for production.

The LNC-003 is still also available. The LNC-003 has two RPM set points so it is a true 2-step. The LNC-003 does not offer timing retard capability.

The LNC-2000’s will start getting assembled next week (week of the 1st of August) and will be shipping the week of the 8th. We expect to assemble 25 units for this first batch. I think we already have standing orders for about half of the units so place your orders with us or with your LPE distributor right away if you want one from this first batch. We expect to produce another batch of 25 to 30 parts in another week or two.

Like the LNC-002 it replaces, the LNC-2000 provides one 2-step setting and then also provides the ability to retard timing based on a switch setting or based on boost pressure. When setting the timing retard based on the switch setting you can also ramp in the retard versus time.

The LNC-2000 has these added features/changes compared to the LNC-002:
  • increased noise filtering to further isolate it from unwanted electrical noise signals
  • analog input to allow an external device to vary ignition timing retard (so external nitrous controllers, switch boxes etc can now modify the timing retard while the engine is running)
  • improved 2-step software algorithm for holding the RPM set point

Regarding the comments that some people have had problems with our 2-step devices. We stand behind our products and I invite anyone having a problem with our 2-step to contact me or anyone in our sales department. We will fix or resolve the problem.

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
I've been in the market for a 2 step. I was all set to buy the MSD back at the end of last racing season, due to reading the poor reviews and lack of customer service with the Lingenfelter units. Then, I came across that LPE redid their units so the seem to be okay now. Now I'm finding out that the LNC-002 is no longer available on their website and now it's the new LNC-003s.

Does anybody have experience with the LNC-003s? My gut is telling me to go MSD, but I like the idea of hooking up the 2nd stage to my line lock with the LNC if the quality is there. Thanks for any help!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

My Msd 2 step was very easy to install, uses one wire for activation. I can adjust the timing with my hp tuners software if needed however it's not.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
We finished testing today on the chassis dynamometer with the LNC-2000. The LNC-2000 is the replacement for the LNC-002. Based on the results of this testing and the testing completed before, the LNC-2000 is now released for production.

The LNC-003 is still also available. The LNC-003 has two RPM set points so it is a true 2-step. The LNC-003 does not offer timing retard capability.

The LNC-2000’s will start getting assembled next week (week of the 1st of August) and will be shipping the week of the 8th. We expect to assemble 25 units for this first batch. I think we already have standing orders for about half of the units so place your orders with us or with your LPE distributor right away if you want one from this first batch. We expect to produce another batch of 25 to 30 parts in another week or two.

Like the LNC-002 it replaces, the LNC-2000 provides one 2-step setting and then also provides the ability to retard timing based on a switch setting or based on boost pressure. When setting the timing retard based on the switch setting you can also ramp in the retard versus time.

• increased noise filtering to further isolate it from unwanted electrical noise signals
  • analog input to allow an external device to vary ignition timing retard (so external nitrous controllers, switch boxes etc can now modify the timing retard while the engine is running)

Regarding the comments that some people have had problems with our 2-step devices. We stand behind our products and I invite anyone having a problem with our 2-step to contact me or anyone in our sales department. We will fix or resolve the problem.
Can you ramp the retard out vs time? IE, start with 10 degrees out and end at 5 degrees out over 2 seconds.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't buy anything that started with LN (based on experience).
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Timing retard ramp

You can ramp in the amount of timing retard (start at 0 and ramp up to 10 degrees over X amount of time) but you can't ramp the timing retard back out with the LNC-2000. When you disable the timing retard, it goes right back to the base timing.

Originally Posted by buzz12586
Can you ramp the retard out vs time? IE, start with 10 degrees out and end at 5 degrees out over 2 seconds.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE

Really you stand behind your product!!!! LOL!!!
I had a L460105297 lanuch controler that all of a sudden it just start limiting all rpm to 2500 rpm and could not be adjusted from that point. It was used 3 times at the track in a six month period before it failed.

I then got a return number and sent it back. After talking to 4 different people and waiting 5 weeks to just have it looked at. I get told we found your unit defective and you can trade it in for a new one for only $155. LOL....
Yet I can buy one out right from Lingenfelter for $60 more with free shipping and they do not have my old mint condition unit for repair and resale. LoL...

Yeah thats standing behind your product. LOL...
I will be looking at the MSD unit for my next 2 step...
Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

I went with the MSD since I don't need the extra stuff the Lingenfelter has. I hooked mine up to a ground using an on/off switch so I can turn it on when at the track.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default 2-step support

I don't know 100% if you are the same customer since I don't know your name but since we have only had one LNC come in lately and you and that customer both appear to be from Canada I am going to assume you are the same person. If that is not the case, I apologize for the error in advance.

Assuming you are that customer, the LNC-003 in question is not 6 months old. It is over 2 years old. It was purchased in September of 2009. The warranty on these units is 90 days from the date of purchase so your device is well out of warranty.

We tested the device on our electronic test bench and could not repeat the problem you described. We then tested it on a vehicle. We were not able to repeat the problem you had but we did experience a problem with the RPM settings and the activation point. Based on this we felt your unit was no longer functioning correctly and that it could not be repaired.

We offered to give you a significant discount on a replacement unit in exchange for keeping your old unit. We thought this was more than fair given the age of the unit.

We will not be repairing and reselling your old unit. As with most microelectronics, these devices are not usually repairable. The potting compound we use for vibration and heat protection makes repairs even more difficult. Even if it could be repaired, we could not then turn around and sell it as a new unit and we don’t sell used units. The reason for wanting to keep the old unit as part of offering you a discount on a new unit is purely to get this unit out of circulation so that someone else doesn't potentially have the same problem you were having.

Regards,

Jason Haines

Originally Posted by 2002gt
Really you stand behind your product!!!! LOL!!!
I had a L460105297 lanuch controler that all of a sudden it just start limiting all rpm to 2500 rpm and could not be adjusted from that point. It was used 3 times at the track in a six month period before it failed.

I then got a return number and sent it back. After talking to 4 different people and waiting 5 weeks to just have it looked at. I get told we found your unit defective and you can trade it in for a new one for only $155. LOL....
Yet I can buy one out right from Lingenfelter for $60 more with free shipping and they do not have my old mint condition unit for repair and resale. LoL...

Yeah thats standing behind your product. LOL...
I will be looking at the MSD unit for my next 2 step...

Quick Reply: Which 2 step? MSD 8733 vs LNC-002/003?