Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J-Rod is fastest N/A 346 at Tuner Shootout?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LIL SS
WS6TransAm01

Seems to me you jumped the gun, jumping on the BS train too early. Why is it soo hard to give another shop credit where credit is due?? Both cars are flying down the track and that is for sure. Since YOU weren't there, why do YOU bring up the weight issue.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go LG....

I wonder what happen to your MYSTERY PASS slip?
Its kinda funny that it was JRODs run ,and not anyone elses..dont you think...

I wonder if he went faster than 10.5xs on that run?....we will never know

AGIAN CONGRATS LG and Jrod...
Old 02-23-2004, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

did no one see the "mystery" pass???? some one had to be watching the time flash up
Old 02-23-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

J-Rod, congrats on winning.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 383ss
did no one see the "mystery" pass???? some one had to be watching the time flash up
At that point there were alot of cars running and I know there was a guy from Jrods camp sitting behind me videoing... maybe he can look at the tape and get the time.....
Old 02-23-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"ET" racing LG wins.Same day, same track.
Jrods car should run quicker,that shifting is hurting his ET.

There is only one way to settle this-
Set both cars on kill and hire an unbiased driver.

See....simple.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Restricted User

ET" racing LG wins.Same day, same track.
Jrods car should run quicker,that shifting is hurting his ET.
Weren't both cars sticks or was Brents an Auto???
Old 02-23-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by redrumss
I know there was a guy from Jrods camp sitting behind me videoing... maybe he can look at the tape and get the time.....

Thats what I'm thinking. Someone has to have a video of this pass.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Regardless of who did what to whom, both those cars and engine packages are AWESOME. It is a ashame that something like this had to happen in the end. I would also say that it is sad to see shop owners starting to throw jabs at each other. Not good....at all.

That said....I gotta reply to something my buddy Chris said....

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
Also why would you have two six speed cars launching off a protree? You dont even have time to get the revs up to launch if you are the second car staging.
Ah, young Jedi....I ALWAYS bump in second on a Pro Tree - and in 2002, had the best average R/T for my class (NMRA F/S). I was one of the few launching off my foot vice a two-step too. You just have to have a routine down that takes advantage of being second in the lights.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is interesting I guess you could stage with the revs fairly high and then stab the gas and go
Old 02-23-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
That is interesting I guess you could stage with the revs fairly high and then stab the gas and go
Fairly high? hehehe. Close - how about all the way high?

Basically, I prestage, run through my shifter routine, and wait for the other guy to completely stage. Once he/she is in, I bring the rpm all the way up to my launch point, then very gently tickle the clutch to roll the car very, very slowly forward till it stages. Done correctly, I can be almost imperceptibly moving - and have the clutch 'pre-loaded' - when the yellow's flash. Then as you said, stab (and dump) and go. It might not work with a super-grabby clutch, as the possibility of rolling through the beams becomes an issue, but a stock clutch (which is what I use) is very forgiving and easy to modulate. Works for me....so long as I concentrate...lol.

If you have the time and want to see a bit of what I do, click on the video below. Skip the first 30 seconds of nonsense and watch the stage/launch. The engine sound you hear is all mine (the Neon beside made no noise at all that you can hear).

11.62 Pass

I should note that this is only my way of doing it, and I'm sure plenty of other methods that work just as well or better are out there. This is simply what works for me.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

BTW....humble apologies for hijacking the thread.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:03 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tekhombre
I would also like to say that we weren’t expecting J-rod's ride to be so radical, they were running open header with no exhaust, race gas (due to the welded heads and high compression) and a very radical cam that seemed to idle between 1,500 and 1,800 rpm, electric water pump and no accessory belt. Brent was running a full exhaust, pump gas, and was idleling at 900, electric water pump and no accessory belt, but was 1-2 tenths and 2-3 mph faster than J-rod throughout the day after J-rod was over the 3,250 # limit.
I will post a video of J-rod and Brent side by side and all the time slips between the two from the event when I get back home.

Julio
I just flew home for a little while. I won't have much time to post for the next few days,as I am going out of the Country for work. . But, if I can, I'll try to post up if it warrants it.

It is alleged that we had some super radical cam, welded up heads with 15:1 compression, etc... Here are the facts of the matter. We were still playing with the tune. The VE tables are still a bit off, and sometimes, the idle hangs just a bit The car is set to idle @ 975 to 1025, but not 1800. The rules didn't say we had to run exhaust, so We pulled the exhaust off to save weight and ran dumps on the car after the X-pipe. All we did was look at how to best run the race under Cartek's rules. I have 2 independant witnesses who saw me scale my car at the weight I have reported, then they saw me go run.

The heads are fromAS, they are not welded, the ar has 11.25-11.4 CR, not15:1 or whatever is being alleged. The cam in the car is an X3. If folks want to gripe about how it lopes, don't buy t. But it wasn't some special "one off" grind.

As for slowing down, yep, I did slow down. On my 3rd pass (since the 2nd one "got lost") I went a 10.73.. As the heat came up, the track got greasy, and the car started to spin badly. My 60's went to the 1.5s to almost 1.6. I set the tires down to 10 psi and late in the day the car did marginally better. We watched the weather, and knew the best passes were going to be in the morning. So, I was loaded for bear on the first pass. After that, conditions went downhill, and track prep began to go south for us.

It was made perfectly clear to everyone in the driver's meeting that if we were underweight, or you skipped the booth, you got no slip. The scale operator was doing his best, but he had never seen the scale before, etc...It took awhile for them to get cccurate readings. The readout is away from the driver, so you can't see what its reading. The operator of the scale was yelling at Dave and Julio about the scale being a POS, and that he needed help, and that the cars were varying all over the place. Like I said, he said go make another pass, and if you are on the correct weight, no problem. If you come back ever pass underweight we have a problem.

Honestly if you think about it, why would I go pull weight out, if I went to put it in, and got it where it was legal. That makes no sense whatsoever to me. Its just like TR shootout. I had to add weight to the car to run. I did so, and I ran the car that way.

As for the MPH. Here is a little thing for some of y'all to think about. The car is stock ride height. Brent's and many others are lowered. This car is not lowered at all. Ask anyone like LG or John Shiels who runs a road course with a long straightaway. Lower the front of the car about 1.5 inches and its going to run lots faster. We had been toying with the idea of dropping the car to go faster, but Tommy doesn't want the car dropped. Look at the 1/8 mile times and MPH. There is where your MPH is going. So yes, we made a mistake and left time on the table there. Ok, I admit we should have dropped the car.

I wish I had a pic of the scale so folks could see what we are talking about. In Texas, and in most states I know of a scale that is going to be used like this has to have an official certiication from the State. This scale had no certificate of calibration nor any indicaion that it had ever been inspected.

Like I said, I don't want this to be hateful or ugly. We all had fast cars, and I hope some folks had a good time.

Can we please just get along and talk cars now.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Hey too all your MPH lovers , JROD had a best MPH of 128 !!!! I got it on tape, but it wasn't on his best run ( 10.80 sum ) . Tek, i just want to say that that sumbitch of yours is flying!!!!!!!!!!! Everytime you came up, I HAD TO VIDEO it ! From the side, from the back, Hell even upside down !!! That's how you run a sumbitch on motor !!!! I was the black guy that was in the stagging lanes with the camcorder. When you raced that red vette , you just whooped him to sleep everytime ! I won about $75 betting with you. Too me , 1/b for 1/b , you had the most impressive car their too have just gotten it together . AND ON MOTOR......The baddest , and I will say it again, THE BADDEST SUMBITCH AT THE TRACK WAS MAJORSPRAY !!!!!!! All i can say to you head/cam folks is GET YOU SUM NITROUS , and RAT NOW !!!WHooHooo that ****'s flying !!!!! Jrod, you the man and you know I GOT YOUR BACK ! Brent, you have to be one of the nicest people I have ever met ! Both of your cars are Haulin AZZ!!!! Later......Ps...Someone give credit too the Ligenfelter guy that broke his axel TWICE, while trying to show us how A turbo is supposed to run !!! I wish i new how to put these runs on tape, because I know I'm the only one who filmed from ALL ANGLES. Later, time to try to edit 3 small tapes
Old 02-23-2004, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

And another thing before I go , After the vette shootout stopped on Sat. night, the Mustang boys pulled up. MAN, ENUFF WITH THIS CANIBALISM, WE HAVE OTHER FISH TOO FRY ! We have to get alot better than this folks, because our fastest car ( Whoever that is ) There is a MUSTANG out there that can run those times on F-----G DRAG RADIALS !!!!! Forget that Brent vs Jrod, or Cartek vs. Lg SHITTTTTT!!!!!! We need to try to get sum of these MUSTANGS that are just sitting back waiting on an invitation to our events!!!!!!!!! That alone should be the big picture ! We are dying on a vine here in the LS1 world ! We need to concentrate on them damn FAST AZZ FORDS ! When most of the vette crews went back too their hotel, A whole new ballgame started. At 7:00 ( SAT), the MUSTANG boys showed up and when I say ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE----ARE YOU GUYS STILL WITH ME ! ----ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE ! Man they could give a F--K about Brent, Me, Jrod, Bowerboy, Majorspray, TekW, or whoever you can come up with !!!! ARE WE UNDERSTANDING EACH OTHER HERE PEOPLE ! Man, I'm starting to get mad ...Later
Old 02-23-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Tell us how you really feel.....
Old 02-23-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Fairly high? hehehe. Close - how about all the way high?

Basically, I prestage, run through my shifter routine, and wait for the other guy to completely stage. Once he/she is in, I bring the rpm all the way up to my launch point, then very gently tickle the clutch to roll the car very, very slowly forward till it stages. Done correctly, I can be almost imperceptibly moving - and have the clutch 'pre-loaded' - when the yellow's flash. Then as you said, stab (and dump) and go. It might not work with a super-grabby clutch, as the possibility of rolling through the beams becomes an issue, but a stock clutch (which is what I use) is very forgiving and easy to modulate. Works for me....so long as I concentrate...lol.

If you have the time and want to see a bit of what I do, click on the video below. Skip the first 30 seconds of nonsense and watch the stage/launch. The engine sound you hear is all mine (the Neon beside made no noise at all that you can hear).

11.62 Pass

I should note that this is only my way of doing it, and I'm sure plenty of other methods that work just as well or better are out there. This is simply what works for me.
That wouldnt work for me with the sintered iron disc (I would probably pull the wheels trying to light the second bulb LOL!) BUT I could see it working with a near stock clutch setup

BTW Where is Brent?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
BTW....humble apologies for hijacking the thread.
Hi Bob
Old 02-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Did anyone get on any dynos ?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Sounds like some exciting racing, I wish I had been able to attend.

Racing between major rivals can be very competitive and emotions run high.

The only thing I would have done differently was that I would have come up with a rule of thumb to get around the scale issue. I have seen some scales that only measure in 20 lb increments so when a scale varies by 30lbs I wonder if that was the way the scale was made?

How did BSP do?

Quick Reply: J-Rod is fastest N/A 346 at Tuner Shootout?