Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J-Rod is fastest N/A 346 at Tuner Shootout?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you guys towed from all over the country just to make time trials?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Sounds like some exciting racing, I wish I had been able to attend.

Racing between major rivals can be very competitive and emotions run high.

The only thing I would have done differently was that I would have come up with a rule of thumb to get around the scale issue. I have seen some scales that only measure in 20 lb increments so when a scale varies by 30lbs I wonder if that was the way the scale was made?

How did BSP do?
I was having some tranny problems. I was not able to powershift the car or even speedshift it. I ran a best of 10.91@ 125. I have to say the scales were off on my first pass I weighed in at 3255 then after that my weight went up I never added a pound to the car not even gas. SO who knows what was up with the scale. I did not get to meet many ppl. But I had a fun time anyway .. So did anyone get to see my car run ???
Old 02-24-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bspz28
So did anyone get to see my car run ???
oh yeah, maybe a couple of times...lol

maybe someone will tell lou that brent wasnt the only person that made alot of runs...
Old 02-24-2004, 03:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Sounds like some exciting racing, I wish I had been able to attend.

Racing between major rivals can be very competitive and emotions run high.

The only thing I would have done differently was that I would have come up with a rule of thumb to get around the scale issue. I have seen some scales that only measure in 20 lb increments so when a scale varies by 30lbs I wonder if that was the way the scale was made?

How did BSP do?
John, the scale was reading in 5 pound increments.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. What I'm saying is that the 10.67 run was made under the legal weight limit of 3250 and it does not count as a valid run, period.

"As a side note" I was commenting that I didn't expect J-rods car to be so radical when compared to what Brent runs, it was the first time I saw J-rod's ride and I pictured it more like what we run here. It doesn't matter that J-rod's ride was more radical because after he was running at legal weight it was 1-2 tenths and 2-3 mph slower than Brents runs for the day. How can you explain that?

Here is a video of the only side by side run between Brent and J-rod.
Brent vs. J-rod

Too bad you guys decided not to run Brent heads up again, it would have been fun.

Can we please just get along and talk cars now.
J-rod, Brent, Dave and I would love to have a group hug with you and LG and 3-gun, but I don't think that posting prior to the final results that you are the winner of this event's H/C class with a run that you and (3-Gun) were well informed that it was not a valid run because your race weight was under the legal limit is a good way to get along.

Julio
Old 02-24-2004, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01-Z
Hi Bob
Howdy. No more thread hijacking.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:25 AM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

sounds like an awesome combo
Old 02-24-2004, 07:17 AM
7 Second Club

Congrats to both groups,the cars ran great.J-Rod got treed bad on the only head to head race they had,bummer for him.This race proved 2 things to me.
1 DA has a huge effect on ET(already knew that)
2 I find the Lg dyno claims more believable now
If the scale isn't reading right how can it be counted on to give an accurate reading for anyone.
Both shops will have plenty of chances for a rematch.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Coal Mining Director

Julio, the way the scale was jumping numbers between runs you don't know that J Rod was under weight. PERIOD. bspz28,AP,TX,JRod,etc,etc have posted that their weights changed in 5/50 pound increments between runs. The scales were FUBAR. Look up the difference between precision and accuracy. You did not have either.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by onfire
Julio, the way the scale was jumping numbers between runs you don't know that J Rod was under weight. PERIOD. bspz28,AP,TX,JRod,etc,etc have posted that their weights changed in 5/50 pound increments between runs. The scales were FUBAR. Look up the difference between precision and accuracy. You did not have either.
EXACTLY and why would JROD lie?

I think it is a crock. JROD ran the faster time and should be given the benefit of the doubt considering the scales were wildly innaccurate for EVERYONE THERE!
Old 02-24-2004, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I also think this scale crap sounds like sour grapes. I've known Jarrod for a few years now and he has always been very humble and straight up honest, especially when it comes to racing. Nobody in their right mind would go out of their way (especially with his nasty schedule) and tow out across 4 states, just to attempt to cheat on raceweight when the event was being scaled.

There have already been several people posting that the scales sucked. Thats more than enough evidence. Brent saw the weigh-in on J-Rods car, and vice versa.

Is the LG car as docile as the Cartek car? Probably not. I've seen the LG car and its a beast and I wouldn't drive it on the street personally. BUT, it fit the rules, and ran the times.

Julio, I think it only makes you look bad to use this scale excuse. Had Brent run a quicker time, that excuse would have never came up. Just congratulate, and meet up for some more challenges this year. Maybe the North Vs South Shootout, you guys can line them up again.

Also, I think the time trials format is kinda . This is drag racing, line those suckers up! Maybe it would have helped illustrate things better had the Cartek car smashed the LG car 9 out of 10 races, but since you guys did the lame time trial format we will never know.

Tony
Old 02-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 422 SS
1 DA has a huge effect on ET(already knew that)
I hear that.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Goes to show that the Atco Da makes the Cartek cars seem quicker.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Nineball, exactly what I'm saying.

I didn't want to voice my opinion to strongly but now that it seems I'm agreed with by many, I'm just gonna have to say I've lost all respect I had for Cartek.

Rock on LG, and no I'm not a nutswinger just think Cartek is pulling some infantile crap here.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"Rock on LG, and no I'm not a nutswinger just think Cartek is pulling some infantile crap here."
Old 02-24-2004, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onfire
bad idea trying to use logic with tekhombre
Old 02-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Here is my .02.

The scales were an issue, my weight would go up and down 30 lbs run-to-run with zero changes, so they were at best inconsistent.

J-Rod has a kick-*** car (or more accurately he is a kick *** driver, 3Gun owns the car), and he ran the best time of the day, but failed weight. The weight rules were explained at the drivers meeting. That sucks, especially when you believe (as I do) that on the next pass J-Rod passed the weight but did not make any changes to the car. CarTech is not the bad guy in this, J-Rod has not claimed any conspiracy. As far as I am concerned they both won, and a little controversy will be a good set-up for the rematch.

Comments about number of runs, open headers etc. etc. is a distraction as we all knew we were allowed as many runs as we wanted - discussed in the drivers meeting, and the LGM car was legal.

Having now met J-Rod I believe him to be a straight-up guy, but I also believe the CarTech guys were trying to operate within the rules too, they were in a no-win situation.

So my congrat's to both tuners, and my thanks to CarTech for sponsoring the event. I had a blast, and from what I heard from the people there during the event they did too. My only trophy should have been for the best burn-out, from what I have been told

Les
Old 02-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Go J-Rod I never saw so many excuses in my life The car is to loud Cheers to Three

Idle was above 950

It was high octane unleaded

To radical

Pass the Lou!

Last edited by Speedpup; 02-24-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Really a shame. I had this funny feeling driving home that this would happen. I have swapped tech info with J-Rod, think he is a straight up guy, and was pulling for him. I was there from 9 to 3, but somehow didn't notice the first pass. Maybe I didn't see the name on his car. The rest of the day, J-Rod was consistently a tenth and ~three MPH slower, which disappointed me, but 10.7x at 125 or so it hauling. Both J-Rod and Brent were impressive. Jason's C5 looked good 'till it broke. I was surprised at how few F-Bodies were there and how few LGM cars were there. In fact, I was surprised at how few cars were there total.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I also think this scale crap sounds like sour grapes. I've known Jarrod for a few years now and he has always been very humble and straight up honest, especially when it comes to racing. Nobody in their right mind would go out of their way (especially with his nasty schedule) and tow out across 4 states, just to attempt to cheat on raceweight when the event was being scaled.

There have already been several people posting that the scales sucked. Thats more than enough evidence. Brent saw the weigh-in on J-Rods car, and vice versa.

Is the LG car as docile as the Cartek car? Probably not. I've seen the LG car and its a beast and I wouldn't drive it on the street personally. BUT, it fit the rules, and ran the times.

Julio, I think it only makes you look bad to use this scale excuse. Had Brent run a quicker time, that excuse would have never came up. Just congratulate, and meet up for some more challenges this year. Maybe the North Vs South Shootout, you guys can line them up again.

Also, I think the time trials format is kinda . This is drag racing, line those suckers up! Maybe it would have helped illustrate things better had the Cartek car smashed the LG car 9 out of 10 races, but since you guys did the lame time trial format we will never know.

Tony
I read this on the Vette Board:

For the record, I zeroed the scales weighed J-Rods car before the first run, (10.67) got out of the car and took the video. The car weighed between 3265 and 3280 ALL DAY LONG.

That is a good point, Tony.

Who would risk playing games with weight knowing the car was being put on a scale after every run?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Where both cars manuals?

What where the MPH averages of both cars? It seems like carteks car was trapping higher correct? With full exhaust right?

Quick Reply: J-Rod is fastest N/A 346 at Tuner Shootout?