Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 2 Step Wiring question.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MSD 2 Step Wiring question.

Im installing a 2 step on my 2002 Z28 M6 tomorrow. I looked up the wiring schematics for the clutch switch, I was under the impression I could use the Safety switch, activates low to the floor like i want. But thats a big fat NO! Since I want to keep the function of the switch but it has no voltage when the vehicle is running.?. I see that the cruise cancel switch will work but I was wondering if the switch is activated with very little pedal movement like the brake switch? Cutting the safety switch is not an option for me since it is a daily driver and someone else(State Inspector) may have to drive it at some point. I know a lot of you guys run this set up so any info would be great! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just wired mine last weekend, very simple and you do not have to run any wire into the cab. Blue PCM # 32 Grey wire Clutch Pedal Position Switch Signal. Everything functions as normal and the 2 step is only active when the pedal is to the floor.

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/00pinpcm.htm
Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wired mine off the switch its as easy to adjust as the brake light switch as far as sensitivity and I used the harness right at the pedal.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I just wired mine last weekend, very simple and you do not have to run any wire into the cab. Blue PCM # 32 Grey wire Clutch Pedal Position Switch Signal. Everything functions as normal and the 2 step is only active when the pedal is to the floor.

WOW!! Thanks for the Quick response. I was actually wanting to hook it to the PCM harness to keep it all under the hood! I just couldn't find a diagram of the PCM connector. This is a big help. What RPM do you have your set at? I hooked it up Quick and hard wire to B+ to test it out. at 4500 it sounds NaStY! Stock mani's and cats with straight pipe. Someone is gonna **** when I box it next to them at a light! LOL
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 AM
9 Second Club

A 2 step will melt your cats so say good bye to them lol. I've played with mine a little bit and I'm going to try launching around 4000-5000 rpm on 5lbs of boost.

Last year when I was N/A I launched at 6000-6800 rpm and wasn't real consistant, I needed a 2 step real bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8S2jDZdRLQ
Old 05-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Lol! Cats! They won't be on there long anyway. Yeah the raw fuels gonna eat em up. Thanks again. I'll post a vid when done
The following users liked this post:
fucter (01-07-2021)
Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks again for the help. I got it installed. Tried it out a little, not to much though. That thing spells bad news for my tires!! Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:39 AM
9 Second Club

Ya no problem! Time for some slicks, but don't try it with the 10 bolt
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Teching In

You know in gonna! Lmao. If it breaks I'll have an excuse to build a 12 bolt. I have heard mixed reviews on 10 bolt reliabilty. Bit the fact is it's only a matter of time before it explodes. Thanks for the tip. What kind of turbo setup you running?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

A question about the MSD 2 step. I know this is an old topic but instead of starting a new one, does anyone know what wire to tap into on the wiring harness going into the clutch pedal switch? I hooked it the red 12v wire and it activates it with or with out the clutch pedal depressed. I don't feel like wiring it to the pcm harness since I ran the reference wire (blue wire) through the dash already. A quick response would be awesome! Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28_LS1
A question about the MSD 2 step. I know this is an old topic but instead of starting a new one, does anyone know what wire to tap into on the wiring harness going into the clutch pedal switch? I hooked it the red 12v wire and it activates it with or with out the clutch pedal depressed. I don't feel like wiring it to the pcm harness since I ran the reference wire (blue wire) through the dash already. A quick response would be awesome! Thanks!
Here is a picture of two switch possibilities You either have one or the other on the clutch pedal (see attached) that is called the clutch anticipate switch from what I saw in the wiring diagram it lets the PCM know when the clutch is pressed for the Cruise control. I tapped off of the grey with the black tracer for the signal to the 2 step to let it know when to activate/de-activate.

You can add a switch inline if you wish so you can turn it off during normal driving I did but never use it, it's almost impossible to activate the 2-step during normal driving.
Attached Thumbnails MSD 2 Step Wiring question.-harness.jpg  
Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

I just hooked mine to the PCM #32 grey wire and it works perfect. Wish i would have done it this way the first time.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4U2NV-SS
I just hooked mine to the PCM #32 grey wire and it works perfect.
Same here. It took me longer to find a spot i liked to put the 2 step than it did to hook it all up. My only worry is that it's activated the second i rest my foot on the clutch pedal. I wonder if i can adjust that any?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Ok I'm doin a two step also and I can't get this f****r to activate make this dummy proof for me I spliced my wire into the gray 32 pin wire does it now plug into the blue or white blue stripe wire please help I'm getting frustrated really fast lol
Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
Same here. It took me longer to find a spot i liked to put the 2 step than it did to hook it all up. My only worry is that it's activated the second i rest my foot on the clutch pedal. I wonder if i can adjust that any?
I have the same issue and it messed me up at the track last week. It would stay engaged as i slipped the clutch off the line and I have a habit of not COMPLETELY removing my foot from the clutch pedal. It killed me every pass because ti would stay enagegd until I hit second. Ill be checking in on this thread to see if there is a fix for that.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverls1z28ofdeath
Ok I'm doin a two step also and I can't get this f****r to activate make this dummy proof for me I spliced my wire into the gray 32 pin wire does it now plug into the blue or white blue stripe wire please help I'm getting frustrated really fast lol

the blue/white wire is the one you use. Works perfect for me now after feeling like a retard. I don't have any issues with mine at all now. Used the gray wire on the harness to the clutch pedal switch.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing back this old post but I need help. I've tried splicing into the harness on the clutch pedal and that won't work I've tried splicing into they gray wire on pin 32 that won't work either what am I doing wrong? I want it activated with the clutch pedal not a switch help please!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Also grave digging here. 2step works like it should. Blue and white wire tapped into #32 grey wire. I'm having the same issue as a few others. Even if my foot rests on the clutch pedal it activates the 2step. Messed up my runs last night. What do I need to adjust, and how?
Old 07-06-2016, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99 LSFUN!
Also grave digging here. 2step works like it should. Blue and white wire tapped into #32 grey wire. I'm having the same issue as a few others. Even if my foot rests on the clutch pedal it activates the 2step. Messed up my runs last night. What do I need to adjust, and how?
bump having same issues now. any help ? run it into the car off the one that it uses to start the car ?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 AM
9 Second Club

Just adjust the switch at the pedal further away so it's not at the very top. It's a pain to crawl under there but it's threaded quite a ways so put it where you like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSD 2 Step Wiring question.