Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car not 60'ing like it used to... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "proper" pre-load was set on the drag bar when installed.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
Now when you say 4 corner scale what are you looking for when on the scales and what is it you are trying to do??? Ask because i just picked up anice set and was looking to scale andsetup my car...

And also when seting up that drag bar the online infoon how to set it up is spot on the ends should be 7inches long end to end then installed then preloaded we just did chrs1313's car the other night
I don't pretend to know how to scale a car. I think on our cars it's more of shock height and using that to distribute the weight evenly rt to lt. Most of us adjust the shocks for example say 10 turns from the bottom on each side but the 10 turns may not distribute the weight with driver evenly rt to lt so you use the scales to verify. Maybe one shock needs 10 turns, the other 14 or so, for ex.
After it's scaled - now when u make your at track adjustments you go evenly rt to lt from that point on, ex 2 turns on EACH side evenly if you want to say raise your front ride height to transfer more weight to the rear for ex.

Sounds like u have the bar installed good. Spohn ships them with the endlinks set and u preload from there with driver in car and even then you may well need to make at track adjustments to it so bring some tools.
I had 2 preload settings, 1 for Etown and another for Atco. Car would want to go to the right HARD at Atco (on the rear tires of course) but at Etown I would take out 3-4 rotations on the passenger endlink to get it to go straight.
Shock settings would change from track to track also. Fronts would like anywhere from 2-8 depending on track conditions at Etown but at Atco I'd have crank them up to 12 and have the limiters with 2" travel to keep the front end in check.

Back to Alex-hardest thing is making proper adjustments when things are inconsistent.
I think best thing you could do it get a torque arm that's not gonna bend and scale that car.
Also seat time, ESPECIALLY with an M6-u know that better than anyone.
I'd like to see another full length TA in your car. I'll go with you to the track next time and we'll get it set it up together.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tektrans
I don't pretend to know how to scale a car. I think on our cars it's more of shock height and using that to distribute the weight evenly rt to lt. Most of us adjust the shocks for example say 10 turns from the bottom on each side but the 10 turns may not distribute the weight with driver evenly rt to lt so you use the scales to verify. Maybe one shock needs 10 turns, the other 14 or so, for ex.
After it's scaled - now when u make your at track adjustments you go evenly rt to lt from that point on, ex 2 turns on EACH side evenly if you want to say raise your front ride height to transfer more weight to the rear for ex.

Sounds like u have the bar installed good. Spohn ships them with the endlinks set and u preload from there with driver in car and even then you may well need to make at track adjustments to it so bring some tools.
I had 2 preload settings, 1 for Etown and another for Atco. Car would want to go to the right HARD at Atco (on the rear tires of course) but at Etown I would take out 3-4 rotations on the passenger endlink to get it to go straight.
Shock settings would change from track to track also. Fronts would like anywhere from 2-8 depending on track conditions at Etown but at Atco I'd have crank them up to 12 and have the limiters with 2" travel to keep the front end in check.

Back to Alex-hardest thing is making proper adjustments when things are inconsistent.
I think best thing you could do it get a torque arm that's not gonna bend and scale that car.
Also seat time, ESPECIALLY with an M6-u know that better than anyone.
I'd like to see another full length TA in your car. I'll go with you to the track next time and we'll get it set it up together.
Sorry for the hijack alex. Very good info thanks alot so you say tojust get the weight as close to the same lets say for the front two wheels and rear two. then go to the track adjust in 1/4 to half or full turns on the spring adjusters to move weight and transfer around it it likes were its at.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 PM
CARTEK Racing

Sounds good Mark, Ill have to take you up on that offer.

I will more than likely get the Midwest torque arm and LCA's then have the car scaled at Carrols. Might be a few months, need to save up. Trying to get it squared away for the fall/good air.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Sounds good Mark, Ill have to take you up on that offer.

I will more than likely get the Midwest torque arm and LCA's then have the car scaled at Carrols. Might be a few months, need to save up. Trying to get it squared away for the fall/good air.
might have to come out and see this magical air...

I have matched my best mph last year in -900 da this year in 3200ft

should be an interesting fall for the both of us...
Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM
CARTEK Racing

Chris,

I'll keep you aware of all tue rentals we will have at Atco.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mmmm atco rental.

I asked strange this week about shocks, I just got some dual adjustable. But ya there not all the same, One of mine has like 12 clicks. The other starts between 2 spots, and has about 11 spots? but thats "normal" and form the way they get machined. When scaling the car, your not gona change the shocks, in fact I know some places put them at full loose while changing some other things. The springs will change the numbers, Even the same new spring pair can get diffrent. And you can move them around, but shocks dont change the corner weight
Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
might have to come out and see this magical air...

I have matched my best mph last year in -900 da this year in 3200ft

should be an interesting fall for the both of us...
U may have matched the mph but I will bet your ET was slower in the higher DA.
All mods etc being equal of course.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tektrans
U may have matched the mph but I will bet your ET was slower in the higher DA.
All mods etc being equal of course.
mods were not equal hense my gain in mph...i am making 25-30rwhp more across the board and 50hp more after peak since my old valves were heavy and causing the power to drop off fast...

you are right that the et was not quite as good it was a 10.20 at 130.8mph but it was due to my weak 1.36 60ft...track prep was crap and I litterly had to leave off idle only way it would hook without overpowering the track...my 60ft last year was 1.29 running a 10.08 at 130.8mph

so with a better 60ft or at least the same as last year it would have ran very very close to the 10.08 if not a hair better due to having around 15 more rwtq across the board...this was on a 84* day with +3200ft da...

hoping it will go around 134-135mph in the -700ft to -1000ft...maybe even tweak off a 9.8x but I will be happy with a 9.9x

Last edited by chrs1313; 05-19-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM
9 Second Club

1.29 is Nice! U got that thing leaving right.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
Now when you say 4 corner scale what are you looking for when on the scales and what is it you are trying to do??? Ask because i just picked up anice set and was looking to scale andsetup my car...
With adjustable coil springs in each corner of your car, you will be able to lower or raise them accordingly and move the weight of the vehicle from side to side and front to rear. Corner to corner. Basically balancing the weight of the vehicle to each wheel to your desired setup.

With stock style springs in the rear, scaling can only be accomplished through the fronts. It's better then nothing...
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
With adjustable coil springs in each corner of your car, you will be able to lower or raise them accordingly and move the weight of the vehicle from side to side and front to rear. Corner to corner. Basically balancing the weight of the vehicle to each wheel to your desired setup.

With stock style springs in the rear, scaling can only be accomplished through the fronts. It's better then nothing...
won't this make the car sit crooked just to try and get the weight more even...seems like more harm then good...or are we talking very minor height adjustments...
Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 PM
CARTEK Racing

won't this make the car sit crooked just to try and get the weight more even...seems like more harm then good...or are we talking very minor height adjustments...
The car will not actually sit crooked because the adjustments are just enough to make the wheel pup more pressure on the ground. The car will sit crooked if one wheel is putting more pressure on the ground than others. Newton's laws; for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.

If one spring is compressed more by the lower shock cup, it will put more pressure on the ground and thus carry more weight of the car. This will make that corner sit higher than the other 3. When a corner is sitting higher, there is more potential energy stored in that spring as the weight is higher from its natural point of rest.

If all 4 corners put the same amount of pressure on the ground, they carry roughly the same weight, the car sits evenly.

I think...
Old 05-19-2011, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

The car will not actually sit crooked because the adjustments are just enough to make the wheel pup more pressure on the ground. The car will sit crooked if one wheel is putting more pressure on the ground than others. Newton's laws; for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.

If one spring is compressed more by the lower shock cup, it will put more pressure on the ground and thus carry more weight of the car. This will make that corner sit higher than the other 3. When a corner is sitting higher, there is more potential energy stored in that spring as the weight is higher from its natural point of rest.

If all 4 corners put the same amount of pressure on the ground, they carry roughly the same weight, the car sits evenly.

I think...
actually it is the opposite the more a spring is compressed the more weight it carries and the lower it will be not higher like you stated...

pulling out newton... bahaha

Last edited by chrs1313; 05-19-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:20 AM
CARTEK Racing

actually it is the opposite the more a spring is compressed the more weight it carries and the lower it will be not higher like you stated...

pulling out newton... bahaha
this is a chicken or egg first type thing.

If there is more weight on that corner because of a loading situation ie, more mass on that corner, the spring will be under more compression and the corner will sit lower.

However, if you raise the lower spring cup and compress the spring not through weight carried, but through mechanical action, that corner will sit higher and press harder down on the ground. That is what I said.

Your example the mass of the vehicle causes compression and lower height, which is true. My example is the opposite of where mechanical forces cause the car to sit higher and exert more pressure on that corner.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk441

that's all I ever had!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 PM
9 Second Club

this is a chicken or egg first type thing.

If there is more weight on that corner because of a loading situation ie, more mass on that corner, the spring will be under more compression and the corner will sit lower.

However, if you raise the lower spring cup and compress the spring not through weight carried, but through mechanical action, that corner will sit higher and press harder down on the ground. That is what I said.

Your example the mass of the vehicle causes compression and lower height, which is true. My example is the opposite of where mechanical forces cause the car to sit higher and exert more pressure on that corner.
All this knowledge and you still can't get the car to 60' for ****.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

excuse me if this is a repost but im not reading the whole thread

first off your spohn ta is a pos, no offense, get the wolfe sway bar

put the qa1 coilovers on the front

get the car scaled and have the wolfe sway preloaded and the front coilovers adjusted properly

that should get you back into the 1.40s

-brandon
Old 05-20-2011, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club

I disagree Brandon. The Spohn swaybar always worked well for me.

Quick Reply: Car not 60'ing like it used to... Help!