Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help help strange brake to moser axle bearing spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help help strange brake to moser axle bearing spacers

ok got my new strange brakes ..I have a moser 9" looks like I need the spacers that go behind the bearings ..I know SJM makes em for 50.00 bucks .

Question are these steel ? aluminum? strange told me i need a spacer thats .145 thick i can turn these on my lathe if i know the material ...any reason aluminum wouldnt work ???
thanks really want this together for friday night ...other wise i would just oder them...
Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

My sjm ones are steel. They are nothing special, they were not even machined nicley looks like the got some tube and use an bandsaw. way over priced for what you get. I'd imagine Aluminum would work, only thing I can think of is it might be too soft... I have no idea just a guess
Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

They are steel.. I would worry that alum would squish thin after a while, develop some slop so to speak...

I really hate that whole axle spacer deal... why the hell there isn't 2 backing plates so you don't have to go shimming the axles out like that is beyond me. it's not like you couldn't just make the backing plate with that .145 of thickness built into it to pull the caliper in to the right spot.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Launching!

ok steel it is ...thanks ...but the backing plate is aluminum so it the spacer collaspes one would assume the backing plate would experience similar issues ...either way i can turn it from steel ...just takes a little longer ...I agree JL i almost think strange does it outta spite for not buying there housing ...
Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or if you call them to check about ordering their brake kit(s) ($1,300) , for their rear end you bought assembled form them with all there parts ($2,200). Have them look it up to make sure every will work. And BOTH brake kits don't fit. Call them about it, find out there have 2 offsets on there rear end they use. But only make one offset caliper brackets, Their solution?? put a wheel spacer behind the rotors.
sweet
Old 05-25-2011, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After having a similar problem with my Moser 12 Bolt I went and ordered the spacers from SJM. After receiving these rough looking spacers I realized that the one piece of 50 dollar pipe they cut off of must make them 1000 dollars.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
After having a similar problem with my Moser 12 Bolt I went and ordered the spacers from SJM. After receiving these rough looking spacers I realized that the one piece of 50 dollar pipe they cut off of must make them 1000 dollars.

really not even machined ?? just sawed off a piece of pipe...wow..
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah pretty much. And again... IF THE BACKING PLATE WAS MADE RIGHT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO RIG IT UP WITH A PIECE OF CRAPPY PIPE!!!

Or, MAKE THE DAMN ENDS OF THE AXLE RIGHT!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My strange 12 bolt had spacers between the axle bearing and stock backing plate that was made from aluminum. Once the bolts are tightened it's not gonna move so I don't see why aluminum wouldn't work. If it was in a position where it had something turning against it or banging back and forth then steel would be the better choice.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by studderin
Or if you call them to check about ordering their brake kit(s) ($1,300) , for their rear end you bought assembled form them with all there parts ($2,200). Have them look it up to make sure every will work. And BOTH brake kits don't fit. Call them about it, find out there have 2 offsets on there rear end they use. But only make one offset caliper brackets, Their solution?? put a wheel spacer behind the rotors.
sweet
This ^^^, I just found this out today with my Moser 9" and strange pro series 2 drag brakes. I ordered them through SJM and got the bearing spacers too. SJM was top notch on ordering and answering questions but the fu%$ing things dont fit. The solution...... washers or spacer behind the rotor. Funny Huh. Did you use a wheel spacer? I didn't figure one would fit behind without turning the diameter down.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Yeah pretty much. And again... IF THE BACKING PLATE WAS MADE RIGHT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO RIG IT UP WITH A PIECE OF CRAPPY PIPE!!!

Or, MAKE THE DAMN ENDS OF THE AXLE RIGHT!!!!
It's not a issue with the backing plates(Strange caliper mount) not being made right at all... The Strange plates are absolutely correct for their intended application, and that is not what these guys are trying to do.

The Moser f-body rearends use a specific "flush mount" housing end that is bored deeper to allow the stock 93-02 brake backing plate to become the axle retainer with no spacers or other fittment issues. The deeper bore sinks the axle bearing completely inside the housing end, therefore resulting in a "flush mounted" aplication.

Almost all the aftermarket brake kits, Strange included, have the caliper mount(backing plate) designed with a counterbore to work with standard housing ends, which stick the bearing out of the housing end about 0.140". This is a normal setup in the aftermarket rearend and brake world. This counterbore bracket mounted to a Moser end will let the axle move in and out the amount of that counterbore in the bracket because it is not contacting the bearing as is was designed.

Strange manufactures an aluminum spacer that is the exact same profile and id as their "normal" housing end, as they do not offer a "flush mount" end similar to Moser's. This spacer effectively does the same job as the Moser flush mount end(for using stock brakes), and then allows the race type brake kit to be installed after the fact with no fitment issues or goofy bearing spacers.

So... there is nothing wrong with the way that any of it is manufactured, it's more of a matter of people trying to put specific parts from different manufacturers where they were never intended to be. If I get a chance, I will post some pics of the two so more of you will understand the differences.

I have a way to make the Moser housings(ends) work with the Strange brakes without any spacers as we use the Moser ends normally on our fabricated 9" rearends. If the customer states at the time of the order that they are using race type brakes from the start, then we use the Strange ends. If anyone is interested in this then contact us and we can get you setup on a parts exchange basis.

Last edited by ssvert99; 05-26-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by billybadd
This ^^^, I just found this out today with my Moser 9" and strange pro series 2 drag brakes. I ordered them through SJM and got the bearing spacers too. SJM was top notch on ordering and answering questions but the fu%$ing things dont fit. The solution...... washers or spacer behind the rotor. Funny Huh. Did you use a wheel spacer? I didn't figure one would fit behind without turning the diameter down.

I have a thin front spacer that came with the front brake kit. Its from strange, I can get the PN off it, but I'm sure they can look it up. It came in the 3rd gen pro2 front kit. Its kinds thin, I think it was .120 and spaces the rotor off so it doesn't bottom out against the caliper bracket. The other think I might do, is machine them for room. I'm not in front of the parts right now, but thought about this. The lip on the back of the rotor is .090 I believe, you could take it down to .040 it just holds the clip on I think it would be fine. And put a groove in the backing plate for the rotor lip to fit, I think I only had to go 40 also on that, and should have about 20 of clearance. I dont have access to a turntable on a mill to make it nice, so haven't looking into it more. But it should work.

pardon my MS paint skiils

[IMG][/IMG]

GMHT mag. did a S60 on some car there building a few months ago. "Chevrolet Camaro Drag Project - Beginner's Luck" and are putting drag brakes on it, the rear caliper brackets are offset inward. I called strange to see about getting a set, and they might clear the pro2 rotors. They didnt know what I was talking about and I have the right parts (that don't fit) Ed did tell me if I need he'll send me another set of the rotor spacers, but I had to change the brackets around on my front kit so dont think I need to use them there any more anyway.

Last edited by studderin; 05-26-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

founds a pic

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ion/index.html
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks studderin, good info
Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Man glad I had MWC put the strange ends on my housing just put the axle in and bolt the caliper bracket on shim caliper and go.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chevelledave
ok got my new strange brakes ..I have a moser 9" looks like I need the spacers that go behind the bearings ..I know SJM makes em for 50.00 bucks .
Burkhart sells spacers also...
Old 05-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Launching!

made a set today ...took a couple hours on my little Atlas lathe....cost me ooohhh right at Zero dollars ...turned them out of some 3/16 plate i had laying around ..measure 3.150 on the OD 2,75ish ID and right at .143/44 thick ...gonna grab some ZA and head back out and burn some midnight oil ...pics to follow ...
Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 AM
10 Second Club

I ran into this, but I bought everything from Midwest and was told going in about the situatuion. I have strange ends and used the spacer that Eric sent me with my stock brakes. After i swapped to the Strange brakes it just bolted right on.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Launching!

spacers and brakes installed

Have a question for the experts ...with no shims installed the caliper is closer to wheel side ...is this normal ?? if it has to be centered the the caliper would have to be machined to gain the additional clearance
Attached Thumbnails help help strange brake to moser axle bearing spacers-agent-orange-updates-strange-brakes-007.jpg   help help strange brake to moser axle bearing spacers-agent-orange-updates-strange-brakes-009.jpg  
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess so, with shimming my rotor our .120 then form strange build the kit for. I use no shims, and the caliper fits over but it not 100% centered. And adding shims makes it worse? They said thats fine.??

I didn't have that pic I found on GMTH. I should send them that pic and try to get thous offset backing plates. I think that would solve our problems. I wouldn't have to shim my rotor, and I could use the caliper bolt shims to center to caliper over the rotor.

Quick Reply: help help strange brake to moser axle bearing spacers