Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

posted some info here last week

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...e-battery.html
Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I run a V2 from Modular in the group buy section. I have radio,ac etc....its fine. I use my car on the weekends and during the week during nice days. its harder to start but has not left me stranded. I like it! Knocked a lot of weight off the front
Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey do you guys think that a smaller battery will kill your alternator faster?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Should I try out a Braille or Odyssey?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd do the braille. Simply because I've had bad luck with the odyssey.. and don't trust those POS batteries (at least not the pc680 one)

Again... I was trying to crank a 13.5 to 1 motor with one... which was probably the problem all along.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.powercelltech.com/index.html

We switched to this one last year... went from 2 34lb 16v batteries to this single 10lb battery and it takes less time to charge.

took 58lbs out of car and it works better, crazy !
Old 06-18-2011, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

I had the same pc680 in my car for 2 years, about 12-1 comp 346... I let it go dead over the first winter, put it on trickle and it worked fine last year. Never left me stranded. Started fast with no hesitation. Drove on the street a bunch. I like them, and they save a ton of weight. I think that the 15-20 lbs it saves up front far outweighs the 20+ lbs that 20 feet of 2/0 cable and a battery box adds in addition to that 15-20 lb battery difference. However when you require a cutoff switch etc... then it's useless.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PC680s for years, killed them 10+ times still works great
Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by ATVracr
http://www.powercelltech.com/index.html

We switched to this one last year... went from 2 34lb 16v batteries to this single 10lb battery and it takes less time to charge.

took 58lbs out of car and it works better, crazy !
Wow, 1000 bucks for a battery. You guys are big dog rolling now aren't ya

I have not heard one bad thing from anyone with that tpe of battery yet. They are light, and have great power, and really good capacity. The only thing I would be concerned about, is the battery ever getting over charged. Are you using a special charger with that? It was my understanding that you had to with them, or at least a specific current, etc.

That is a BIG weight loss though that you got from that. Out of curiousity, did you have to run 2 of the other 16 V batteries, did ya have problems with just one? I assume that you don't have an ALT on the car anymore.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a red top in the back now will a small battery work relocated or is that just trouble waiting to happen!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Race your car!

The little battery won't have the power needed to crank the car from the trunk that I'm 100% on.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The little battery won't have the power needed to crank the car from the trunk that I'm 100% on.
Ok lol
Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Race your car!

It's a voltage drop, and available current thing. If you wanted to run the 900 size odyssey battery, or something equeal to that you can, there's people on here that have done that successfully. Loudmouth ls1 ran a smaller battery in the back, 900 size I do believe. Hit him up with a PM, he could tell you more.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running some Deka battery up front, it has been in there over two years and had even died at one point while I was away on vacation. I jumped it then, two winters ago, and it still cranks the car every time. People point and laugh at it, but hey it gets me where I have to go. I don't run things with the car off though.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Wow, 1000 bucks for a battery. You guys are big dog rolling now aren't ya

I have not heard one bad thing from anyone with that tpe of battery yet. They are light, and have great power, and really good capacity. The only thing I would be concerned about, is the battery ever getting over charged. Are you using a special charger with that? It was my understanding that you had to with them, or at least a specific current, etc.

That is a BIG weight loss though that you got from that. Out of curiousity, did you have to run 2 of the other 16 V batteries, did ya have problems with just one? I assume that you don't have an ALT on the car anymore.
Would you pay $1000 to take 50+ lbs out of your car? We have paid alot more for alot less before.

It wont over charge, you just dont want to put to many amps to it to charge it.... we use same 16v charger that we used for out other 2 batteries.
We never tried running 1 of the big batteries.

The big battery would never fully recover between rounds, the lithium battery does in about 15 mins.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Race your car!

No I hear ya on the weight loss. And 1000 bucks for 50 lbs isn't that bad really, especially when all the other stuff is already done.

If you had an alt. on the car would you have the recovery issues? I know that 16v alt's are available now, and that was something I was considering, just to make the turn around easier... one less thing to worry about.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

I look at lightweight batteries like some people who try to get away going fast on 4L60e's, Aluminum Driveshafts, and 10 bolt rear ends....

Borrowed time.

It will at some point leave you stranded and you might as well carry the tools and a jump pack to get you going and sometimes to a auto parts store to buy you a new big battery to get you home.

But a LW batter, up front for track day racing maybe a viable option but for everyday use is going to require some sort of regiment which can get old quick.

Just my opinion but every pound counts.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 06-20-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I look at lightweight batteries like some people who try to get away going fast on 4L60e's, Aluminum Driveshafts, and 10 bolt rear ends....

Borrowed time.

It will at some point leave you stranded and you might as well carry the tools and a jump pack to get you going and sometimes to a auto parts store to buy you a new big battery to get you home.

But a LW batter, up front for track day racing maybe a viable option but for everyday use is going to require some sort of regiment which can get old quick.

Just my opinion but every pound counts.

Did you try one out or are you speaking from others experiences?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Did you try one out or are you speaking from others experiences?
I have had charging issues with cars that had just a U/D but a elec waterpump and that was on normal stock style battaries and the comp of the motor was 11.25 to 1 383. Using Stock style and mini starters a crap ton of configurations to get something not leaving me stuck. I ended up keeping the Elec pump and stying with a stock crank pulley and worked well afterwards. Brother also ran one for a short while in is '88 GT and nothing but issues and those 5.0's are known alternator issues to begin with.

Also had my fair share of exp helping stranded friends in the past so if your dead set on doing it, then go right ahead and let us know how it works.

In the end it needs to work for you.

Also to mention I have a aluminum strap sitting at home that would be used for a LW if I ever get the itch to go back to it so if I do, I will be sure to report back on the new situation. I have access to dry/cold storage with a battery tender. But car has a stock wp now and a SLP U/D pulley.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I have had charging issues with cars that had just a U/D but a elec waterpump and that was on normal stock style battaries and the comp of the motor was 11.25 to 1 383. Using Stock style and mini starters a crap ton of configurations to get something not leaving me stuck. I ended up keeping the Elec pump and stying with a stock crank pulley and worked well afterwards. Brother also ran one for a short while in is '88 GT and nothing but issues and those 5.0's are known alternator issues to begin with.

Also had my fair share of exp helping stranded friends in the past so if your dead set on doing it, then go right ahead and let us know how it works.

In the end it needs to work for you.

Also to mention I have a aluminum strap sitting at home that would be used for a LW if I ever get the itch to go back to it so if I do, I will be sure to report back on the new situation. I have access to dry/cold storage with a battery tender. But car has a stock wp now and a SLP U/D pulley.
Thanks!
It seems to be a toss up with these smaller batteries. Iv been digging up old threads and pming guys who had these for a while. Most of them who have had issues either said they had problems in cold weather, car sitting to long, bigger higher compression motors, or they just stop holding a charge after they drained dead to many times. But all those things seem to be an awareness problem. Even with a stock batt I wouldnt expect it to be sitting in cold very long or take any of that other abuse.
I think I will give the Braille a shot and see what happens. I run all accesories except for a/c. I drive the car just about everyday this time of year so it shouldnt go dead by sitting unless the alarm kills it? I dont drive it in winter so worrying about it starting in the cold isnt a problem. I usualy take my stock batt out every year and put a charge on it in winter anyway. Still havent made up my mind but I will probably grab one.

Quick Reply: Opinions on lightweight battery?