Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time out to the track tonight with my LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heard the corvette sprag really helps the 4l60 i know a guy been runnin his simple rebuilt one w/ it been running 11.80-50's for years every week bracket racing not real fast but the amount of runs and driving it to the track is crazy.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Back in the day these options for built 4L60Es didn't exist. Nowadays they are FAR more reliable.
That maybe true but I have over 3,000$ into 2 seperate rebuilds that say they are junk and at this point I can't trust them.

Everyone has to find a comfort level that they are ok with, at this point it is a LT1 and it is not like he is going to make any real power to even have to worry about. Maybe a good 60e from one of the sponsors maybe a better option but again, the guy paying the bills has to make that decision.

People even tossing in TB on these things and if you can get it to live, then thats cool, but I would be prepared just in case.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

ouch yeah TB don't see it lasting, it's just like the th350 vs th400, id go 9's all day long on the 350 but it be a footbrake N/A 3000lbs or less, anything more i'd use th400 orry for the comparison i'm old school.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
That maybe true but I have over 3,000$ into 2 seperate rebuilds that say they are junk and at this point I can't trust them.

Everyone has to find a comfort level that they are ok with, at this point it is a LT1 and it is not like he is going to make any real power to even have to worry about. Maybe a good 60e from one of the sponsors maybe a better option but again, the guy paying the bills has to make that decision.

People even tossing in TB on these things and if you can get it to live, then thats cool, but I would be prepared just in case.

Just my 2 cents.
Honestly it sounds like you just have a shitty builder.

And that's statement in bold is pretty much the most ignorant thing I've ever heard.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

That's your opinion Joe and your welcome to it. I do wish you luck in selling your car moving to the LSx world. (and yes, I am being serious)

But for the OP, since you want to keep the Six Speed, simply work on practicing and just be aware that you can break stuff much easier. Been doing this for too long and been in the SBC, LT1 and LSx world for a long time and seen/experienced the cost of racing and you need to find what works for you.

As for the Foxbody thing, a AOD auto was never intended to be a racing transmission and the AOD "Shuffle" is a real pain to get working consistant, thats why you see many people go right to a C4 or GM TH350/400. Race weight has a major factor as well. They can with a much better rear then 4th gen Fbodies so they can be pushed farther but still break axles in stock form so thats why many try to get away with it.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, no plans to convert to an auto. Car was built to be a fun driver, and I just don't get that out of an auto. I hated the AODs in my Mustangs. I did remedy that by getting a Lentech Strip Terminator w/ transbrake. That will be going into the drag car. 1=1, 2=D, 3=OD, and OD is electric, on a switch. I too got tired of that 1-D-1 shuffle (not that a stock AOD would hold up to anything).
Old 07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Internet Mechanic

^ My Bro was the Mustang guy, had over 3 decent ones of the years. '88 GT Auto (AOD), '86 GT T-top 5 Speed (very clean), '92 LX Notch E303 cammed and nitrous. Got tired of them and went to a '86 Grand National which I hate to admit is a 10 Second car beats a good amount of street cars.

But like said there has been major improvements over the years but unfortunately the aftermarket missed the LT1 boat and just catching up to current LSx so many guys have not had the opportunity to get a good '60e and had to suffer with old tech.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

113 is not slow at all for a lt1. If you want to go faster get a dana rear end.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
I see a lot of talk around here about 'DA'. I need to learn more about it. I do know that it was 90* and high humidity that night. Is there anywhere I can look up historical data for a certain night to see what the temp/humidity was?
Weatherunderground has historical data. Plug that info into a density altitude calculator.

If you ran 114 in our recent weather at Crapitol, wait until October or early November. When the temps drop down in the 40s/50s and you've got clear skies, the DA drops to -1500, -2000, or better! Expect to pick up a ton in those conditions... 118+ traps easy.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Weatherunderground has historical data. Plug that info into a density altitude calculator.

If you ran 114 in our recent weather at Crapitol, wait until October or early November. When the temps drop down in the 40s/50s and you've got clear skies, the DA drops to -1500, -2000, or better! Expect to pick up a ton in those conditions... 118+ traps easy.
Some of you guys are sooo lucky! I wish we could get the air you guys do up here in mn. Trade you for some snow maybe?

Also I'm sure once its dialed in more it will trap a lot better. He said it was his first time out and in bad weather.