Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving around the water box...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driving around the water box...

I've always been taught to drive around the water box, but I notice at the track I go to (Crapitol), the lane is coned off so that you can only drive through it. Any reason for that? Don't really want to drive through it, but, not left with much of an option.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

I'm guessing they want to run you and everyone else thru as quickly as possible. I guess they like seeing people spin off the line and others crash into the wall. They are not taking the racers safety into account. I wouldn't race there if I lived across the street from that place from what I heard about it over the years.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you should drive around the water box if your running ordinary radials. Maybe talk to the tech guys, and the starter and see why they dont allow you to do so.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The track we run at most often has a wall behind the water box, so you have to go around it and back in. Its also nice because it keeps the car that is in the box from throwing **** all over your car. I understand forcing you around the water, I do not understand forcing you through the water.

Sean
Old 06-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Forcing you thru the water... not only is unsafe, it actually will lengthen the time it takes to get the car's run..... If the track guys are doing their job and getting the water off the starting line, they are actually have more work to do by forcing ya thru it.

My favorite is the FWD junkers that drag water all the way right to the starting line..... and inherently drag it all over the starting line as well. And they ALLOW these cars to go into the water (which really shouldn't be the case)

Our local track on street night has so much of that going on it's pointless to even go unless you're in the first couple groups of cars going down the track.. after that, everything is wet. Real pita.

Next time you go bring one of your buddies, have him go up to the starting line with you, and pick up the cone and move it.. then back into the water.... return cone after you go around. Done deal.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow you should have the option to drive around the water! I prefer going around myself since i always have street radials on up front and the treads design will always trap water and cause it to get on the track.......
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Dave88LX, haven't seen that name in a while. How's it going?

Our local tracks allow you to drive around. They make the street cars with regular tires drive around.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Doing great! Been a busy boy raising 2 daughters now, but everything's coming along.

I posted on Capitol's FB page asking the question. Let's see if I hear anything back.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

I went down to Crapitol a few weeks ago, and that place is a complete cluster! I honestly didn't feel safe making a run there. Thank goodness I was stuck in the Staging Lanes for 3 hrs and never got a run in. I went to Cecil last weekend, and WOW what a difference. It's a great track, and not too busy. I never had to drive through the water once with the Z on street tires. I will be going to Cecil much more often.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

One problem is; the street tire guys see everyone else drive thru the water and think that is what you're supposed to do.

They should only have very little water in the box, that makes a big difference. Plus, if you spin the tires all the way to the starting line, that evaporates a small amount of water. It comes down to the experience of the guy running the starting line.

Honestly, I am the only one that backs into the water at my track. I feel like an oddball, but they can wait!

Al
Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by T6Rocket
One problem is; the street tire guys see everyone else drive thru the water and think that is what you're supposed to do.

They should only have very little water in the box, that makes a big difference. Plus, if you spin the tires all the way to the starting line, that evaporates a small amount of water. It comes down to the experience of the guy running the starting line.

Honestly, I am the only one that backs into the water at my track. I feel like an oddball, but they can wait!

Al
Very true! Any time I'm running slicks, I still do everything I can to go around the water with my front tires and back into the water box. To me, it just makes sense.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Heck ya man go around is the best way and that track would get the finger from me for making people drive through the water. Sounds like a communist track lol

Quick Reply: Driving around the water box...