Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there a ride height you guys aim for?? looking for more traction

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default is there a ride height you guys aim for?? looking for more traction

i am about to start trying to find ways to get my car to hook better on the street (in essence this should help at the track also) and was wondering what if any you guys aim for ride height wise? i know each car is different but im sure any serious chassis set up has a baseline to start from. my car is fairly low and was wondering if raising it a bit would aide in this.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much, But get an adjustable torque arm and adjust the pinion angle, That is the key to traction..I can't remember what mine is set at. -3 maybe..
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I don't know much, But get an adjustable torque arm and adjust the pinion angle, That is the key to traction..I can't remember what mine is set at. -3 maybe..
I am sure he knows this and probly has a adjustable torque arm. Also there is more to it. In for more educated responses. Also not being a dick.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

Ya i have all the adjustable underpinnings. Just need guidance or a direction. It works on the track now on a tire but thats about 1/75th of the driving. Id like to optimize my street tune.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just from a ride height stand point you should try to have the front and back close to even. If your front is a lot lower than the back then it is harder for the car to transfer the weight. There is a tipping point for every car where it becomes easier for the car to begin weight transfer. That is where the car should be.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JL told me about 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch of rake...which is what im doing with my car about 1 inch....you have to think that theres a point where its traction you are trying to get and then the big end also...my buddy's car was jacked up in the front from all the weight reduction and he slammed it in the front...probably 2 inches of rake probably lowered it a total of 3 or 4 inches and he gained almost 2 mph from aerodynamics....but the crazy thing we couldnt understand was his 60 dropped dramatically...he went from a 1.50 to a 1.42 1.43 consistent ! and all he did was chop the front springs and he still has stock shocks...kinda blew my mind lol
Old 07-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

He gained a bunch of traction, because the car's travel was maxed out as it was sitting, not allowing any transfer. By giving the car a bunch of downtravel from ride height the car was allowed to transfer the weight alot better therefore improving traction... I'd guess that was as much of not more of the reason for the MPH gain then the aerodynamics was.

Dan, pinion angle is NOT what gives these cars traction. It actually has very little to do with anything. The only thing you are doing with pinion angle is introducing a mechanical bind into the driveline and actually costing you some power at the wheels. You need just enough to keep the rear in line with the engine, and that's it. And, with rod ended suspension, you don't need hardly any at all, because there's little to no deflection.

I read "pinion angle helps traction" all the time.. we don't have leaf springs on these cars and the rear isn't "wrapping" up in the car... pinion angle is not helping you.

Adjusting weight bias, adjusting suspension travel limits, adjusting spring and dampening rates, changing tires and air pressure in said tires, eliminating body roll, all help with traction. Adding a mechanical bind to the driveline isn't giving you any added traciton I'm sorry.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I read "pinion angle helps traction" all the time.. we don't have leaf springs on these cars and the rear isn't "wrapping" up in the car... pinion angle is not helping you.

Adjusting weight bias, adjusting suspension travel limits, adjusting spring and dampening rates, changing tires and air pressure in said tires, eliminating body roll, all help with traction. Adding a mechanical bind to the driveline isn't giving you any added traciton I'm sorry.
This is what I was trying to say in my first post lol, reread my post it kinda sounded like I was being a ****. But I agree with all thee above.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Talking I wondered...

How long it would be, B4 someone hit the pinion angle theory w/ a bat!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to agree with what JL posted above... I haven't had my car on scales, but it's pretty much slammed up front, and as low as I can go on a 28x10.5 in back with a stock wheelwell. I don't like the idea of raising the front of the car, I'd rather lower the rear instead and drop the center mass of the car.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Lowering the car also helps prevent it from wanting to stand up... so no foul there. But, you may need to limit, and will need to limit it at some point to get the most out of the car once it's lowered.

Only down side to lowering, is that it's easier to bottom out when it does come up. other then that, as long as the geometry is right it doesn't really hurt the car. Too much rake, that will screw with the weight balance, so that's no good.

I just had to kill that pinion angle statement. It's one of the worst rumor's that flies around... old leaf spring thing, that absolutely does not apply to the ls cars in any way.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

Sooooooo whats the verdict on ride height? Haha. I have access to scales if needed also. Id like to start picking at it. I still have the bumpstops in my car as well i didnt think of it possibly hitting them.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

look at your axle tubes if theres any marks form them. I had some, took them off.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club

Yes they have spots on the axle where you can see theyve been touching. Ill remove them as well and see if it helps any.

Quick Reply: is there a ride height you guys aim for?? looking for more traction