Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radial vs. slick on the street

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would never expect it to hook from a dig. im talking 3rd gear 60-160 pull and spinning. and im not sure how you guys prep a highway i was out last night with the front shocks real loose and the tires at 14 psi and it would still spin easy, think its just making a lot more power with this cool air
Old 08-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1curt
i would never expect it to hook from a dig. im talking 3rd gear 60-160 pull and spinning. and im not sure how you guys prep a highway i was out last night with the front shocks real loose and the tires at 14 psi and it would still spin easy, think its just making a lot more power with this cool air
Small tire cars are all the rage on the drag strip these days. I am down with that because it is much cheaper to get into and always amazes people to see cars run like that while looking so close to stock. But, if I needed to put down serious power on the street, I would go back half with some 32x18.5s.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish some of you guys with the small tire cars (28x10.5) that cant hook were out here in the detroit area.

Everycar that I seem to get a race against I know is going to hook, no one has a huge problem with setting up their cars really. Its only 11sec and slower guys who complain about not being able to hook. Seems like 99% of the problem is user error
Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

because i dont wanna die on the street lol. i ran 13 at the track and it hooks awesome. i'm going to try them at 16 and see how it works.
its not going to hook then, get a dr if you are worried about low pressure becasue with a slick at that pressure is defeating the purpose. Personally, I have never had a problem with the car swaying like some people describe it, maybe a lot of that is in chassis/suspension tuning.

If you want to hook on the street it takes some effort and some compromises, if you arent willing to drop tire pressure to the appropriate level then forget about it.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 AM
8 Second Club

let me ask how fast your car is then? a mid/low 10 sec. car is a piece of cake to hook on the street. a mid/low 9 sec. car is a different story, im going to go to 14psi but thats it, i dont really like the idea of 160mph on any lower psi but thats just me.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to talk to boosted GT on here then. He has a low 8 sec Mustang that hooks on the street. The only thing about it though he makes test hits over and over again to get his car to hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFHfJ...eature=related
Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
You need to talk to boosted GT on here then. He has a low 8 sec Mustang that hooks on the street. The only thing about it though he makes test hits over and over again to get his car to hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFHfJ...eature=related
What the hell? There is time for a crowd to gather , prep a track like that in what looks like a neighborhood and no cops come? What country is that?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 AM
8 Second Club

Lol that road is prolly prepped better than the track I go to
Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speedtigger
What the hell? There is time for a crowd to gather , prep a track like that in what looks like a neighborhood and no cops come? What country is that?
That's a sanctioned street race that happens once a year, they do pimp juice burnouts and tend to hook pretty well.

I love my M&H 325/45/17's on the street. I have run Hoosier radial, Nitto radials, and Hoosier 27" tall slicks and the M&H radials have hooked the best from a roll thus far. Dr. Pepper burnouts seem to help before the race.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
they do pimp juice burnouts and tend to hook pretty well.......................

Dr. Pepper burnouts seem to help before the race.
Either things have changed a bunch since I played on the street or I am going to need an interpreter next time I go to Oklahoma
Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Either things have changed a bunch since I played on the street or I am going to need an interpreter next time I go to Oklahoma
Many of the guys use "Pimp Juice" instead of VHT.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Hoosier slicks with comp 3way drag shocks and they were Ok on the street. Now I have AFCO rear shocks and MT DRs and it hooks much better on the street and handles 100% better.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Old School Heavy

I see. And Dr. Pepper?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

I see. And Dr. Pepper?
If you don't have "Pimp Juice" grab you some DP and do your burnout in it, those 23 flavors seem to work better than a water burnout on the street.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Old School Heavy

There is a new trick for this old dog. Thanx.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm by no means a "big power" car, but i've had the best luck with Hoosier QTP's. 700hp/tq on nitrous.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing you guys a MT DR is NOTHING compared to the Hoosier DR.

The hoosier DR may as well be a slick with all the advantages a radial has to offer. Not as loose on top end, more mph, less rolling resistance...etc. etc.

Everyguy that doesn't run the Hoosier in the RS and X275 classes complain about it because it is so good that they say it's unfair. Its a 40 treadwear tire so I wouldn't run it on the street just for the fact you'll never get more than 1k 2k out of them. They aren't legal for street use anyways just DOT class approved.

All that said, I will and never would run another DR aside from the Hoosier from now on. I may try the M&H one day, but I don't wanna mess up a good thing.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to get the Hoosiers but I went with the proven MT since it works at the track and better as a all around street tire.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
One thing you guys a MT DR is NOTHING compared to the Hoosier DR.

The hoosier DR may as well be a slick with all the advantages a radial has to offer. Not as loose on top end, more mph, less rolling resistance...etc. etc.

Everyguy that doesn't run the Hoosier in the RS and X275 classes complain about it because it is so good that they say it's unfair. Its a 40 treadwear tire so I wouldn't run it on the street just for the fact you'll never get more than 1k 2k out of them. They aren't legal for street use anyways just DOT class approved.

All that said, I will and never would run another DR aside from the Hoosier from now on. I may try the M&H one day, but I don't wanna mess up a good thing.
You are right on, the Hoosiers are unreal for radial classes. On a buddies car I help out on, we went from a MT to the Hoosier and were able to throw more power at it and is much more forgiving on bad tracks. His best 60ft is 1.20 thus far, hoping we can break into the teens with cooler track conditions. Obviously some cars still work better with MT's, but the Hoosiers are a great tire.

I ran a set on my car, primarily street car, and got around 1200 hard miles on them. Not ideal, but they do work well.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

let me ask how fast your car is then? a mid/low 10 sec. car is a piece of cake to hook on the street. a mid/low 9 sec. car is a different story, im going to go to 14psi but thats it, i dont really like the idea of 160mph on any lower psi but thats just me.
I would rather not post it online seeing the current setup is still in the car. Once I move on from it I will disclose times.

I can tell you that we have no issue making cars hook at your power level. A lot of that has to do with tire pressure, but we do make A LOT of test passes on the street too so we know the cars well and how to make them work.

what exact tire is on your car? I run a stiffwall 28x10.5 et drag and never really experienced too much sway at 140+ mph to where I felt it was unsafe. with my car I run my tires at 11.5psi. Try it there and just do a launch and a good burnout and see how it works. We run other cars as low as 10 flat psi.

edit: take my word for it or not, but you really need to get that tire pressure lower and do a good burnout. practice makes perfect

Quick Reply: radial vs. slick on the street