Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lookin good Jon!...
Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by studderin
looks really good. I like all the custom stuff.

you couldn't mount the shocks the other way, I was planning on mine put havnt taken my stanges out to see if it posable with the afco upper mount.
I don't think I'll have a problem running them the other way, these are sitting in there for mockup purposes. I'm sure you wouldn't have an issue with the Strange shocks.

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
Lookin good Jon!...
LSXNOS +250lbs?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by turbostangjon
lsxnos +250lbs?
oh helllll no!!

-500 lsxnos!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
oh helllll no!!

-500 lsxnos!!!
I hear ya! I'm your man if you ever need someone to agree with you on rules!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Made some more progress and mounted the wishbone on the rear housing.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good man!

I uncovered my car last week... got some little things underway.

I have been thinking about the rear for some time now, you have made more rearend progress than me with your torque arm all mounted up, and the wishbone pic is a really good shot.

First up, is it camera angle or have you only roughly removed the driverside of the rear section of the tunnel?

Secondly I was thinking of making an x link for mine, but until I saw how you mounted yours up I was unsure if there was going to be enough room under the torque arm. Now it looks as though it may be possible.

Had you thought about an x link man?
Or what do you think pros - cons?
Old 12-19-2013, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 grmrpr
Looking good man!

I uncovered my car last week... got some little things underway.

I have been thinking about the rear for some time now, you have made more rearend progress than me with your torque arm all mounted up, and the wishbone pic is a really good shot.

First up, is it camera angle or have you only roughly removed the driverside of the rear section of the tunnel?

Secondly I was thinking of making an x link for mine, but until I saw how you mounted yours up I was unsure if there was going to be enough room under the torque arm. Now it looks as though it may be possible.

Had you thought about an x link man?
Or what do you think pros - cons?
I removed a good portion of the drivers side tunnel and it's probably more than I needed. If I had issues with space I would've put the slider on the top of the housing and mounted the wishbone towards the rear of the car. To be honest I've never put an X-link on a car but I've heard that they are more stable than a wishbone. However, I think most of the cars running X-links are Pro-mods and down deep into the 6 second zone if not the 5 second zone. I've installed this same wishbone on several other cars and all of them drive great down into the 6-7 second range. In this application I'm using the wishbone because I don't want the panhard rod moving the rear housing while the tire seperates.

Last edited by TurboStangJON; 12-19-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Its great to see that there is some room left under the car, this being my first torque armed car I was unsure.

Did you remove the tunnel just for the torque arm to clear, or the head of the diff?

Have you got it on a lift....... I don't suppose you could get a pic of the whole belly, with the torque arm mounted up?

Agreed the Jim Geese x link is a promod thing....... we put one on a buddys 4 linked car aussie car and man it works great! Car drives straight as an arrow!

It is more superior and stable yes, as it spreads the load corner to corner like on you housing instead of binding up the single heim.

However you would normally mount them of the lower control arms.

I don't want to give you the wrong idea, I like what you made. I just thought it was a good subject for discussion, as usually there is very little discussion with this sort of a project.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 grmrpr
Its great to see that there is some room left under the car, this being my first torque armed car I was unsure.

Did you remove the tunnel just for the torque arm to clear, or the head of the diff?

Have you got it on a lift....... I don't suppose you could get a pic of the whole belly, with the torque arm mounted up?

Agreed the Jim Geese x link is a promod thing....... we put one on a buddys 4 linked car aussie car and man it works great! Car drives straight as an arrow!

It is more superior and stable yes, as it spreads the load corner to corner like on you housing instead of binding up the single heim.

However you would normally mount them of the lower control arms.

I don't want to give you the wrong idea, I like what you made. I just thought it was a good subject for discussion, as usually there is very little discussion with this sort of a project.
Yes I removed the tunnel to gain some access for the torque arm to sit up a little higher plus to provide some room for the housing. I don't have it on a lift at the moment and as a matter of fact I'm several states away from the car. I'd like to try an X-link in the future for testing purposes I just haven't gotten to that stage.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club

I'm not familiar with the X link. I did however end up removing the driver side tunnel up to the back of the seat as well. Does the X link take place of the panhard?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by subhumanzz
I'm not familiar with the X link. I did however end up removing the driver side tunnel up to the back of the seat as well. Does the X link take place of the panhard?
Yeah it can go in place of a panhard to stop the rearend from shifting side to side. Thing is with a panhard as the tire moves up or down the panhard is moving the rearend side to side. Most won't notice it until times get faster and the rearend being stable becomes more important. We've been deep into the 4.40's with a traditional panhard bar but finally took it off in place of a wishbone.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

maybe a dumb question but why not a "watts link" style? Isnt it supposed to be superior to a panhard bar?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry about the thread hijack man!

I removed my rear section of the tunnel also...... but that is not the point. If I did it again I would take it up to the top of the horizontal brace instead of the bottom by notching it to give the diff head more clearance. Just my 2 cents.

I though I would post up abit more info on the x link as there seems to be some interest. This is straight out of the Vanishing Point race cars catalogue, I think he's called R2 B2 now though but should give the unfamiliar a better idea;

Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Looking very nice.
Is it going to be ready by this spring?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JRracing
Looking very nice.
Is it going to be ready by this spring?
I'm planning to have it finished by February.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

You bringing it up to VA to race when it's done?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by subhumanzz
You bringing it up to VA to race when it's done?
Yes that's my plan. I'd like to do all the small tire races in the VA / Maryland area.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Well I live right down I-95. Tons of races around here. My car will be ready for the beginning of the season. Let me know when you are ready.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

you gotta come down to holly springs too!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
Yes that's my plan. I'd like to do all the small tire races in the VA / Maryland area.
Just bring Preperation H if you come to Cecil, will help with the *** draggin Ill be handing out!

Quick Reply: SS wannabe drag car progress!!!!