Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS wannabe drag car progress!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320BIRD
I love this Tread Good Example of Light weight beasts Expensive Hp Mods ,My point Exactly
Us nitrous guys gotta do something to be able to keep up with them whooshy turbo things the other guys have!!!

I think I am going to find a plug of some sort to plug my holes in the firewall up.

I'll tell you what though, they sure came in handy last night taking the transmission out. All we had to do to get the bolts out of the access holes was to jack the trans up just a little while still attached.

I really wish I had a mid plate though, it would make mock-up a lot easier.

Jon is your FTI converter one of their race units or is it a street non-lock up unit? Just trying to see what core it has. I have a Circle D converter, but I just shipped it out to Greg today to look it over and see what we can do with it for the nitrous. It's a 9" and is supposed to have a billet cover with a ballooning plate which it might, doesn't look like it but then again it is painted black.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Us nitrous guys gotta do something to be able to keep up with them whooshy turbo things the other guys have!!!

I think I am going to find a plug of some sort to plug my holes in the firewall up.

I'll tell you what though, they sure came in handy last night taking the transmission out. All we had to do to get the bolts out of the access holes was to jack the trans up just a little while still attached.

I really wish I had a mid plate though, it would make mock-up a lot easier.

Jon is your FTI converter one of their race units or is it a street non-lock up unit? Just trying to see what core it has. I have a Circle D converter, but I just shipped it out to Greg today to look it over and see what we can do with it for the nitrous. It's a 9" and is supposed to have a billet cover with a ballooning plate which it might, doesn't look like it but then again it is painted black.
It's one of their 8" race units with a steal stator. I told him I wanted to run fast NA but be able to restall it for 200+ later on down the road. He said I will be fine under 900-1000hp then anything after that I will need to go to a bigger converter. I'm taking my trans out tomorrow so I can have him put the bellhousing on plus open my trans up and see if it needs a refreshen. Maybe I will see your converter at his shop lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Do you know what he charges for a rebuild kit? My friend is putting my transbrake in my 400 for me since he has done at least 20-25 of them and because it has to be opened up to put it in may as well see what it needs and freshen it up for the added power it will be receiving.

Fluid looked good with minimal metal shavings on the drain plug, but the clutches will tell the tale.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Do you know what he charges for a rebuild kit? My friend is putting my transbrake in my 400 for me since he has done at least 20-25 of them and because it has to be opened up to put it in may as well see what it needs and freshen it up for the added power it will be receiving.

Fluid looked good with minimal metal shavings on the drain plug, but the clutches will tell the tale.
I don't know what he charges for a rebuild kit. I would give him a shout because I have only been in the building where they do all of the converter work. The trans side is in another shop/building next to the converter shop.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks again Jon
Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

I sold my 12 bolt housing, draglites, and old Strange rear brakes to a friend so I slid into these new brakes. I mounted them on my 40 spline gun-drilled axle for some pics. They are the Strange Pro2's.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look great, how much lighter than the regular pro's?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95killerz
Look great, how much lighter than the regular pro's?
I heard a pound each but I mainly went with them because of the aluminum hat. I got tired of having my old pro's rusting and it would stick out like a sore thumb through my alumastars.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 AM
10 Second Club

Man those things are slick as owl ****. I'm jealous.

I wish I worked at TRZ and got cool stuff too.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Man those things are slick as owl ****. I'm jealous.

I wish I worked at TRZ and got cool stuff too.
I lucked into these because my friend got tired of grinding his stock calipers and made me a deal on my old set. Now the bad part is I want the fronts and they are still a hefty price. This all started with just putting a motor plate in lol.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Got a big update and some major changes happening. I sold a bunch of stuff to a friend of mine including my LS1 motor, 12-bolt, entire rear suspension, and some other small stuff. Futhermore, I sold my TH350 and I'm in the process of selling my converter.

Since then I have purchased a tall deck LSX block, 1.80 powerglide with an FTI converter, Holley Dominator EFI with touchscreen, Accufab 4500 TB, Also, I have begun to put together the rest of my fabricated housing. The rearend isn't finished yet in the pictures because I still need to get it in and see where the coil over brackets and anti roll tabs will land. It weighed 165 pounds with the lightweight ultracase installed, torque arm mount, and the gundrilled 40 spline axles with backing plates. My 12 bolt with a spool and 33 spline axles weighed 175 on the same scale. It's missing about 5 pounds worth of brackets and bracing across the bottom tube. I'm focusing on getting the engine put together at the moment so I will update when I wrangle some parts together.

Last edited by TurboStangJON; 07-16-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a set of the pro2 on the rear but ended up going to the 1piece steel rotors. The alum hat added I think like .080 .100 per side. But made my tires to close the fenders then the old setup. And the Lip inisde the rotor hat for the rotor clip that holds them on, hit the backing plate, and the caliper bolts. Strange disconnected the pro2 PN after my set.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
Got a big update and some major changes happening. I sold a bunch of stuff to a friend of mine including my LS1 motor, 12-bolt, entire rear suspension, and some other small stuff. Futhermore, I sold my TH350 and I'm in the process of selling my converter.

Since then I have purchased a tall deck LSX block, 1.80 powerglide with an FTI converter, Holley Dominator EFI with touchscreen, Accufab 4500 TB, and Brodix STS 273 heads. Don't know how big the motor will be cubes wise but it should be a good start. Also, I have begun to put together the rest of my fabricated housing. The rearend isn't finished yet in the pictures because I still need to get it in and see where the coil over brackets and anti roll tabs will land. It weighed 165 pounds with the lightweight ultracase installed, torque arm mount, and the gundrilled 40 spline axles with backing plates. My 12 bolt with a spool and 33 spline axles weighed 175 on the same scale. It's missing about 5 pounds worth of brackets and bracing across the bottom tube. I'm focusing on getting the engine put together at the moment so I will update when I wrangle some parts together.

I hate you!

I think you can change your thread title to real race car now!!!

Staying nitrous? That rear end is pimp bro, I see you're taking full advantage of the work hook-up!

That's one serious set of cylinder heads too!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
I had a set of the pro2 on the rear but ended up going to the 1piece steel rotors. The alum hat added I think like .080 .100 per side. But made my tires to close the fenders then the old setup. And the Lip inisde the rotor hat for the rotor clip that holds them on, hit the backing plate, and the caliper bolts. Strange disconnected the pro2 PN after my set.
Yeah I had to rearrange the housing width because of the rotors but I didn't have a problems with the rotor hat hitting. I'm hold off on buying fronts because of the added front width.

I hate you!

I think you can change your thread title to real race car now!!!

Staying nitrous? That rear end is pimp bro, I see you're taking full advantage of the work hook-up!

That's one serious set of cylinder heads too!
Lol! I might change the thread title when this thing actually runs.

Last edited by TurboStangJON; 07-16-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Jon! Awesome improvement's as usual, can't wait to watch the car make a pass!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BottleFedZ346
Damn Jon! Awesome improvement's as usual, can't wait to watch the car make a pass!
Thanks man, I hope I can get this finished and tested on our local track by the end of August.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Got my block today. Luckily I'm still good friends with my old GM dealership because they got me a great deal on the tall deck. I gotta head to the engine builder this week then we are going to discuss the remaining plans for the engine. I've been trying to find a Jesel belt drive at an affordable price but that's not happening lol.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Looks like I'm going to move forward with the Jesel belt drive. I was worried about the overall cost of going to an external wet sump or dry sump. Luckily a friend of mine had a Dailey Engineering 5-stage dry sump pump. Also, I found a Moroso dry sump pan off of an ASA motor for a good deal so I will be using that for now. Now I just need to find a nice tank or something that won't take up all of the engine compartment. I see a lot of circle track style ones for sale but those are huge and take about twice the amount of oil that I think I will need.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE, did I already say NICE!

N2
Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

I hate you, did I already tell you that?

Quick Reply: SS wannabe drag car progress!!!!