Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY 01 Z28 T-56 record chaser build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I would def get with Madman&co. They set up the fastest F-bodies around. Cool guys to work with also!
Jeremy to me compairing a true T56 to Joes is like compairing a Outlaw car to a street car. Sure they look the same on the outside but whats really goin on is a totally different animal. lol
lol you make a very good point there

But regaurdless of how the snychros work, the input and cluster gear are still stock Tremec pieces. Now if it was a faceplated G-force gearset then I would agree that it is merely a shell of a T56.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I'm curious how the triple carbon will hold up to the torque, interesting to see.

I wouldn't even consider wasting your time with that factory sway bar, you've got all the right stuff so far, but the car needs anti-roll bar or it's just going to shift all it's weight on 1 of the rear tires.
The triple carbon held 1100+ rwtq no problem when i had the alcohol/91mm setup on my supra. But if i need i can always upgrade to a quad

I dont plan on keeping the stock sway bar just have to have something on there for now. What else would you guys recommend suspension wise. I want to do the lca relocation brackets, good drag sway bar, and some strange coilovers in the front.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

That clutch will break the trans.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

You should look into a watts link. I dont run one but I heard they work wonders.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jetaws6
You should look into a watts link. I dont run one but I heard they work wonders.
Aren't those primarily for autocross? A BMR or UMI drag bar would work fine since you're planning on street driving it. Spend the $300 for some strange single adjustables in the rear as well
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darin D
The triple carbon held 1100+ rwtq no problem when i had the alcohol/91mm setup on my supra. But if i need i can always upgrade to a quad

I dont plan on keeping the stock sway bar just have to have something on there for now. What else would you guys recommend suspension wise. I want to do the lca relocation brackets, good drag sway bar, and some strange coilovers in the front.
The car should make quite a bit more rwtq than that, and more than the Supra under the curve.

Stock style suspension, you've got most of this but here's a list:

Adjustable LCA's
Adjustable Panhard
Adjustable Anti-Roll Bar
Subframe connectors
Adjustable coil overs (the more adjustable the better)

Make sure you get it scaled, start at 15* of preload toward the rear, then tweak it from there.

I had all the above on a 800rwhp 3966lb (with me in it @ 175lbs) Trans Am, before scaling, the car did high 1.5 60's, after scaling, it did low 1.3's, 1.33 60' was my best. That was off the foot brake, no transbrake and a lot less power than what you'll be making, with a lot more weight. You know this stuff, but scaling makes all the difference.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

As for the 6 speed record, I wouldn't count out Lingenfelters 2010 Camaro project. So far with full interior it's been 8.99 and keeps getting faster. Unlimited funds/resources does wonders for ET's lol.... I believe they are experimenting with torque-cut modules and load cells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU1u-...eature=related

If you want to save yourselves a lot of time/money, contact Madman now before spending $$ on random stuff. His purchases include free phone support for getting the thing to hook, which is invaluable advice for a 6sp car. I can tell you right now, you're gonna need a better shock in the rear.

Was your Supra a solid axle conversion or were you still running IRS? Should be interesting to see how this pans out and I wish you guys the best of luck in your quest.

Mike
Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Photochop
Aren't those primarily for autocross? A BMR or UMI drag bar would work fine since you're planning on street driving it. Spend the $300 for some strange single adjustables in the rear as well
I dont think so but I could be wrong
Old 09-29-2011, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
As for the 6 speed record, I wouldn't count out Lingenfelters 2010 Camaro project. So far with full interior it's been 8.99 and keeps getting faster. Unlimited funds/resources does wonders for ET's lol.... I believe they are experimenting with torque-cut modules and load cells.

If you want to save yourselves a lot of time/money, contact Madman now before spending $$ on random stuff. His purchases include free phone support for getting the thing to hook, which is invaluable advice for a 6sp car. I can tell you right now, you're gonna need a better shock in the rear.

Was your Supra a solid axle conversion or were you still running IRS? Should be interesting to see how this pans out and I wish you guys the best of luck in your quest.

Mike
xALOT. Agreed.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 AM
FormerVendor

Mike
Their transmission is a TR6060 and we built it with a complete custom faceplated spur gear setup. The only Tremec pieces in that trans is the case and shift rail mechanism.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15155354-post26.html
Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

definatly gonna follow this build. good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Looking Forward to starting the fab on this beast
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Their transmission is a TR6060 and we built it with a complete custom faceplated spur gear setup. The only Tremec pieces in that trans is the case and shift rail mechanism.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15155354-post26.html
Ooops, my bad. I thought they were gunning for the "6 speed" record, not just a "T56 record".

That TR6060 looks badass! How is the faceplating on the sliders holding up so far?

Mike
Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Mike
Thanks man! The supra was stock IRS, stock axles, stock diff with an upgraded lsd unit. Pretty solid stuff from the factory although I did crack a few diff covers and break a few axles here and there when I started running the 10.5W tire. That is why I'm looking forward to running the camaro, the S60 setup should be pretty bullet proof back there so I won't have to be as worried about launching it hard especially at real sticky tracks.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Installed the UMI torque arm and driveshaft shop driveshaft last night.

Luckily the 4" driveshaft fits in there with enough clearance, it's pretty tight though.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darin D
Installed the UMI torque arm and driveshaft shop driveshaft last night.

Luckily the 4" driveshaft fits in there with enough clearance, it's pretty tight though.
Just my opinion, but I dont see that torque arm holding up to that much power, in a 6 speed car....

Cool build though, hope it all comes together!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

I would surely look at better shocks and my suggestion for a fast car would be Afco's by MadMan. I run the S60 in my own car,but my **** is slow so for weight and overall plans of your build I think a Fab9 would have been a better route.

faceplated T56 will make driving the car at the track a dream, but a little goofy to get used to around town

again good luck with the build
Old 09-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Just my opinion, but I dont see that torque arm holding up to that much power, in a 6 speed car....

Cool build though, hope it all comes together!
What about it won't hold up? I've seen several 6 speed cars running this torque arm and going high 1.20 60 fts at 3200+ lbs and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about torque arms breaking is it that common?.. remember the car won't be launching with that much power, you only need about 700-800 hp to cut 1.3 60 fts at that weight, so I won't be launching at full boost..
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Larry @ AMS
I would surely look at better shocks and my suggestion for a fast car would be Afco's by MadMan. I run the S60 in my own car,but my **** is slow so for weight and overall plans of your build I think a Fab9 would have been a better route.

faceplated T56 will make driving the car at the track a dream, but a little goofy to get used to around town

again good luck with the build
I agree, not too happy about the weight of the S60, but I get good pricing on their stuff and have always been happy with their products. If I end up needing to shed more weight I may look into a fabricated rear.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Mid West Chassis makes a killer fab 9 but its a long wait for one

Quick Reply: MY 01 Z28 T-56 record chaser build.