Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on what to do when my car wheelies..

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Buzz no offense but I'll make note to mention that to a couple people I know with cars that are "only" running in the 7.30 range. I'm sure they will agree that becuase they don't have deep six second cars, the wheelie bars are really stupid.

Have you ever tried to go 1/2 that fast? Hell have you ever run anything in the single digits at all? With the way you're taking a "holier then thou" approach right now I'm guessing no.
My original comment was meant as a joke but since everyone got their panties in a bunch I came back to defend it. It is his car and I couldn't care less what he does with it. If he ever tries to run any heads up classes he won't be able to have wheelie bars on it.

I'll refrain from making any joking comments in the future.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Your jokes are apparently coming across the wrong way... but I think that's apparent.

I don't know what heads up classes you're talking about but there's a good portion that do allow wheelie bars. Other then the 275 classes I would say the majority do allow wheelie bars.

if you have proof or evidence of this not being the case please provide it.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Outlaw Drag Radial
X275
275RS
Ultimate Street
KOTS Street Race
PTRA True Street
PTRA Super Street

Granted this is all small tire heads up racing. Of course classes like Pro Mod, Outlaw 10.5, etc... allow wheelie bars but it didn't seem like he was building a Pro Mod to me.

Again, I'm sorry my joke wasn't taken as such. I didn't realize calling wheelie bars "sissy sticks" would hurt any feelings.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

Nobody's feelings are hurt and nobody care's what you consider looking silly.
For those classes you mentioned, would it not make sense to set up a car with a wheelie issue with wheelie bars and then tune the suspension until you know what works and what doesnt and then take them off?

Guys with 12 second cars that cant do a wheelie without a floor jack don't get to comment on stuff they have zero experience with, especially not on Tech.

If and when you get your car together, you'll be back on here with questions of your own. Unless of course you already know everything.
GL with your build.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Race your car!

Buzz most of the classes you posted up are drag radial classes.. there's ALOT more out there that do allow the bars then what you have listed that don't allow them.

I know fireball was running outlaw radial with his car at cecil and he had wheelie bars on it... I remember seeing video's of the car with them on, unless they were taken off for events?

Regardless, there's a small portion of classes that don't allow them vs where they are allowed.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Buzz most of the classes you posted up are drag radial classes.. there's ALOT more out there that do allow the bars then what you have listed that don't allow them.

I know fireball was running outlaw radial with his car at cecil and he had wheelie bars on it... I remember seeing video's of the car with them on, unless they were taken off for events?

Regardless, there's a small portion of classes that don't allow them vs where they are allowed.
Yea they were taken off for events. Like I said the post was a joke. I've seen plenty of people use wheelie bars set pretty far off the ground just as a safety device while they are tuning a car.

Just curious which heads up classes do allow wheelie bars?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tektrans
Nobody's feelings are hurt and nobody care's what you consider looking silly.
For those classes you mentioned, would it not make sense to set up a car with a wheelie issue with wheelie bars and then tune the suspension until you know what works and what doesnt and then take them off?

Guys with 12 second cars that cant do a wheelie without a floor jack don't get to comment on stuff they have zero experience with, especially not on Tech.

If and when you get your car together, you'll be back on here with questions of your own. Unless of course you already know everything.
GL with your build.
"If and when" I get my car together? Thanks for the vote of confidence...
Old 11-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Race your car!

All the big tire stuff allows wheelie bars. Pretty much any class that allows a back 1/2 car will allow wheelie bars.

Classes that don't seem to allow wheelie bars, are the stock suspension radial tire classes. Once you get away from that the bars are pretty widely accepted.

All of the index classes allow wheelie bars. Granted they aren't a "heads up" class but I think once you get into 8.50 and 7.50 index cars I would call that pretty heads up for the most part... alot of the 8.50 cars are detuned but 7.50 cars aren't detuning a whole lot O don't think. Once you get into the outlaw 10.5, top sportsman, all that stuff, allows bars. Hell most of those cars have 80+ inch long bars on them.

The bars, in the end save cars, and lives. I'm not sure what started the movement to get away from them but if the small tire radial classes did allow them you'd see alot more successful runs being made, and alot less wrecks/cars into the wall.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All the big tire stuff allows wheelie bars. Pretty much any class that allows a back 1/2 car will allow wheelie bars.

Classes that don't seem to allow wheelie bars, are the stock suspension radial tire classes. Once you get away from that the bars are pretty widely accepted.

All of the index classes allow wheelie bars. Granted they aren't a "heads up" class but I think once you get into 8.50 and 7.50 index cars I would call that pretty heads up for the most part... alot of the 8.50 cars are detuned but 7.50 cars aren't detuning a whole lot O don't think. Once you get into the outlaw 10.5, top sportsman, all that stuff, allows bars. Hell most of those cars have 80+ inch long bars on them.

The bars, in the end save cars, and lives. I'm not sure what started the movement to get away from them but if the small tire radial classes did allow them you'd see alot more successful runs being made, and alot less wrecks/cars into the wall.
The OP doesn't have a big tire, backhalf car which is why I made the comment.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by buzz12586
"If and when" I get my car together? Thanks for the vote of confidence...
Now who's feelings are hurt?

I'l rephrase-"WHEN" you get your car together, if you have any questions, this is a good place to get answers and help.

Everyone has their period in this thread.
Maybe it's a full moon or something.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:14 AM
9 Second Club

C'mon Buzz, let's let it pass.
No hard feelings here-let's just all internet shake hands and let the OP have his thread back.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now who's feelings are hurt?

I'l rephrase-"WHEN" you get your car together, if you have any questions, this is a good place to get answers and help.

Everyone has their period in this thread.
Maybe it's a full moon or something.
LOL my feelings aren't hurt at all. I should have put this at the end of my post
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

C'mon Buzz, let's let it pass.
No hard feelings here-let's just all internet shake hands and let the OP have his thread back.
I'm a very sarcastic and dry humor type of person. I keep forgetting that it doesn't come across well on the internet.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will add to this thread again, accidents happen and most of us are still learning in this hobby. I know for a fact that I am! I performed all the setup on my car even the front end alignment.

My car is slow and heavy but the day that I somehow survived my wheel stand the car got up on the back tires in less than a half of a second and the entire wheel stand lasted a total of just 5.5 seconds. There are several things happening very fast and until you get yourself into that kind of situation it is always easier to Monday morning quarterback.

I agree with Tektrans if you have concerns put wheelie bars on and continue to tune your car and then pull them back off for the races that do not allow them. That is what most of the fast cars do when they run a class that does not allow wheelie bars.

I will also add that it does not take a fast car to put you on the back bumper my car only puts down 400 HP NA. We all know that fast ET’s happen with low 60 foot numbers but a fast car also puts a lot of power down when it is going down the track. The trick is to get a car to 60 foot and when you are dealing with stock suspension cars you have to get it to transfer weight which means it will lift the front tires. The trick is making sure your setup is right for the track on the day you are racing!! In my case I just plan missed my setup that day and if I would have had wheelie bars on the car I would have run somewhere in the 9.80 range on a 125 HP shot of dry nitrous, instead I came away with a great video of a great wheel stand!! Looking back at it today I would have rather had the faster time slip!

I will say until you get yourself into a wheel stand situation it is all here say!

Good luck to the person that started the thread and most of all be safe!

N2
Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by buzz12586

Of course classes like Pro Mod, Outlaw 10.5, etc... allow wheelie bars but it didn't seem like he was building a Pro Mod to me.
You can add the thousands of cars that race NHRA events to your list that allows them.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
You can add the thousands of cars that race NHRA events to your list that allows them.
I was talking about small tire "street" car classes. The OP doesn't have a big tire race car.

Can we stop taking this thread off topic now?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
Good luck to the person that started the thread and most of all be safe!

N2
Thanks, i went one click stiffer rebound on the front qa1's and added compression on the rear shocks with that the car spins slightly off the line. I was going to put it back to what i had it when it hooked and wheelied but i picked up 3 mph and 2 tenths with it like this,but i lost .08 on my 60'.

http://youtu.be/OFSucVu_RC8

I thought it was funny, everyone was waiting with camera's to see it stand up again.

Last edited by BLINGOLE; 11-19-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the car left very good on that pass cool video! 2 tenths and 3 MPH's quicker is great!!

N2
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Race your car!

Don't get too tied up in that 60 foot # the track is 1320 long... if you have to sacrifice .08 in the first 60 to pick up .2 in the whole run I would say that it was worth it.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok Boys here goes, I have tore up more parts over the years from big *** wheelstands then anyone on this site.

1st thing I can tell you to do is NEVER hit the brakes! 2nd thing you most do is pull 2nd gear as fast as you can. 3rd thing, pray you still run the number and win the round!!!!!!

Famous words from Madman: Wheelie* bars are for PUSSIES!!!!!!!!!!

Now to limit your wheelstands , you need travel limiters, shocks you already have and practice on tuning for different weather conditions.

Coach

Quick Reply: School me on what to do when my car wheelies..