Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on what to do when my car wheelies..

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default School me on what to do when my car wheelies..

So last night my car came up like never before,, i just installed qa1's and a bmr drag bar which made the car just launch evil.. So ya, the front came up about 3-4 ft and ill be honest it got me off guard.. i dont think i let out but maybe 15% throttle and when it came down, it wasnt that hard of a come down but it bounced back up and just was weird.. I never felt the front tires grab the pavement and start spinning like that before.

OK so what my question is to you old guys that been racing forever is what should i do when the car shoots up like that? Im assuming just pin it and hope it doesnt flip backwards or whatnot.. Also on f bodys is it easy to wipe out the oil pan?

Im a turbo car and i launched at about 3psi with my two step set at 3600 also i have a 3800 stall.. A friend told me if i rise my two step it wont hit the stall as hard and it may keep the front end down some. Also 3.20 gears which i think i broke last night so i got a set of 3.45's im installing now.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Launching!

limit the front end travel ...limiters or tighten up the shocks ...if if comes up again dont lift ,,,grab second
Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

grab second! i didnt think of that,, thanks. grabbing second will be alot easier then letting off.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea grab second and if that does not work peddle the go pedal and if it is still up grab third!

That is what I should have done, but I grab third and then peddled it! The car and I still survived but I do not ever want to do that again!!

N2
Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club

Shift, don't lift!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

That is what I keep saying to myself until I could not shift anymore! That little 346 CI engine just kept pulling down the track!

N2
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
That is what I keep saying to myself until I could not shift anymore! That little 346 CI engine just kept pulling down the track!

N2
How bad have you smashed your front end down? Has the pan tapped the ground yet?

Well **** the second video on your sig was pretty hard... you got a stock k member in it still?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Dragging the brakes should also start bringing it down. N2Racing, thats a sweet vid!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Damn - 3 ft + crazy
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Careful about the brakes, you really don't want to hit them hard, if you accidentily lift off the gas at the same time, you'll slam the car down and do some real damave.

Limiting the front end downtravel from ride height does a TON to control the front end from coming up as much. Taking just a 1/2 inch out may make a difference fwiw.

I would, increase the front shock seetting 1 notch, see if that slows it a little, and decrease the travel, with a set of limiters... if the car starts spinning then loosen the shocks back to where you had them.

I wouldn't take anything away from getting the car to leave as hard as possible.. I'd work the front suspension a little and try to control it that way.

If the car starts climbing then pull 2nd and then 3rd right away, that will cause the motor to bog a little.. run will be somewhat tossed away but better that then stand the car up and then end up wrecking it.

Been there done it a couple times.... I was able to just lift enough to get the nitrous to turn off then as soon as I felt the nose start to fall I got right back in it, shift light came on and I pulled 2nd.... 2nd time around I just pulled 2nd and it didn't start to come down at all so I pulled 3rd, and that was enough to load the car to bring it back... both worked, but after I got the limiters on the front and adjusted the front end to stop it, the car got a bit faster.

I wouldn't reccommend trying to ride it out unless you're used to driving a super stock car and are used to it... it' a good way to possibly wreck a car.. I'd try to change something.. get it under control.

If, you can get the car to pull the tires about a foot and carry it for 40 to 80 feet, you'll be perfect.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wheeling bars
Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wheelie* bars
Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you I'd invest in some "Save your *** Bars"

At least then if you come down to hard you won't damage your pan...
Old 11-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Another thing that works real well and is gentle to the car...
When she hops up in the air, just give the brakes a little tap.
The rotational energy will bleed real quick and the front will come down.
You can get real good at it too while leaving the throttle on big while doing it.
The front should come down nice an easy like while your still laying into it.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLINGOLE
How bad have you smashed your front end down? Has the pan tapped the ground yet?

Well **** the second video on your sig was pretty hard... you got a stock k member in it still?

The 280 foot wheelie video is as bad as it gets! I have also gotten my 60 foot times on the back tires a couple of times. I have all Spohn parts under the front with QA1's!

Let me say several folks are giving good suggestions however in my case the Formula was up on the back tires in less than a half of a second. In the video you cannot hear me shift into 2nd gear because I did it so quick. The shift you can hear is the car going into 3rd gear. It was not coming down until I lifted off of the go pedal for just a split second. When the front end started coming back down I mashed the go pedal back through the floor in hopes of easing the landing. The car was still going straight and I knew not to lift on the second bounce so I stayed in it.

No smoke, no noises so I kept on going. That run produced a 6.45 ET at 109 MPH in the 1/8 and a 10.18ET at 132 MPH in the 1/4 and one wild video! The wife sure stayed steady, I bought her a big dinner that night for doing such a good job. The oil pan rubbed some rubber off the track and it nicked the bottom tubes of the headers. Also barely rubbed the bottom of the back bumper cover giving the car a little character!

As suggested work on tying the front end down and if it keeps coming up then possibly wheelie bars maybe in your future! I would stay away from touching the brakes not saying it would happen but what if one decided to grab or do something crazy since the front of the car is so far up in the air it could be bad!

Good luck and be safe!!

N2
Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

^^^ - i was just curious if you run a sway bar in the front and if so what kind?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

thanks guys, im pretty sure once i change my rear tires its gonna be bumper smashing time. But shoot im new to drag racing and ive never even thought about pullin 2nd gear..

Now last week when my car came down it bounced right back in the air and that was like weird, ive never felt that before. I think i let off when it started bouncing. And that feelings normal right? I mean the whole car bpuncing allover the track feeling?

Now how about this, lets say i launch and it shoots right up with the convertor stall then i grab a little foot brake. My scary thought is if it came down and i was still on the brakes if like the left front tire locked up i would shoot into the wall or the other lane. Now remind you im no expert driver and i would be very excited if it happened so i may not think to straight and this stuff happens fast ya know.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I wouldnt hit the brakes I would grab another gear. If one of your brakes grabs a tad differnt it will make the car pull in that direction which you do not want..
Old 11-13-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shifting gears most times will not work if the car is over 3 feet up. The brakes will work perfect, you can pulse them or put steady pressure until the car stops climbing.

Kurt
Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Hit the brakes only if you have a garage full of oil pans, front end parts and fenders, as you glance off the wall! Don't do it!!!

Quick Reply: School me on what to do when my car wheelies..