Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on what to do when my car wheelies..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you guys talk about suspension limiters do you mean kinda like build bumpstops on the lower a arms to stop it from bottoming out on the expensive parts? I was kinda thinking about bending a piece of think 1 1/4 round pipe and making little hoops to say on the subframe connectors, you know just a tad lower then the pan. SO maybe that would take the hit instead of other things.

Now a few good suspension guys told me spend some money on some rear coilovers and with those you can set the rear a little stiffer to make the tire roll over a few times at the launch. I forgot the name of it but i guess on the fast guys they film the rear tire on the launch and count how many times to spins before it grabs. From what i hear "you always fight for traction,but soon or a later your have to fight for it to loose it".
But ya, grab second if it happens, dont lift and if it still comes up grab third and close your eyes. OK got it.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLINGOLE
when you guys talk about suspension limiters do you mean kinda like build bumpstops on the lower a arms to stop it from bottoming out on the expensive parts?

http://madmanandcoracing.com/images/...tos/MM-TL2.jpg
Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28

Famous words from Madman: Wheelie* bars are for PUSSIES!!!!!!!!!!
I'm ok with that.
The cost for the damage of being a HERO and NOT using them doesn't fit my budget for racing.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
I'm ok with that.
The cost for the damage of being a HERO and NOT using them doesn't fit my budget for racing.
I second that
Old 11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Having almost tore a car up doing a big wheelstand or 2 I will put a 3rd on that.

I understand people like to try to be a badass and not run them. That's but the cost of doing it, doesn't work with my budget as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When they talk about travel limiters they refer to limiting the amount your tire can drop when the car lifts. If you set it full tight the front tire will come off the ground if it lifts at all. Most cars have 4-5 inches of travel if you don't limit them, this lets your car get momentum on pitch rotation when the car launches and plants the tires. If you try running loose front with 10 second power you can touch the bumper on the ground, more power can really hurt stuff. When you run tight with very high power engines they will sometimes climb very slow, but they will not stop climbing unless you lift or apply some brake. I have tried shifting, this can work if you catch it very low.

Kurt
Old 11-20-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

My dad started out with no bars on the car but after putting on the bumper then crossing from the right lane to the left lane....he ordered them the next day haha. Travel limiters can be the difference between climbing a wall, making a great pass, and blowing the tires off but thats why we race.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uncles bracket car does crazy wheelstands.... I rode during TNT one night.. I asked him the same question, What do you do when it stands up? He said..."Stay in it, enjoy the ride and hope it comes down straight..." haha...
Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Buzz most of the classes you posted up are drag radial classes.. there's ALOT more out there that do allow the bars then what you have listed that don't allow them.

I know fireball was running outlaw radial with his car at cecil and he had wheelie bars on it... I remember seeing video's of the car with them on, unless they were taken off for events?

Regardless, there's a small portion of classes that don't allow them vs where they are allowed.
only had sissy sticks (wheelie bars) on it for the first few hits to see what it was going to do...high power radial cars can be funny sometime. They weren't on the car 95% of the time. I never had a problem with launch wheelies...just wan't able to get the boost in fast enough off the hit and that MADMAN fellow gave me a killer suspension tuneup However...I did go into a 2-3 ft wheelie at 200 ft out at Indy when I really got after the power ramp...it was quite interesting when you can't see the end of the track when you are doing 100mph A quick pedal job settled it down nicely though

Quick Reply: School me on what to do when my car wheelies..