Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drag racing team

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't think a competitive super stock car could be built for less then 80 grand to be honest, so 50K in the motor... that's possible.. but they're probably counting every part they tried in the course of getting it there.

If you could just build it with all the right stuff the first time, 75 grand I think would be the #.

Hell I'm going to have 75 grand at LEAST, in my 8.50 index car when I'm done and I'm taking the cheap BBC route for power (still 20 grand there but compared to some other directions I looked at, it is cheap)

Now I'm not building it so it will only run 8.50, it's going to that in a pretty dialed back state, but still.

Cost of running any pro level team, you better be able to set 100 grand on fire and laugh at it and then go back into the trailer you spent 100 grand on that's towed to the track with the 50 grand worth of truck you bought and look at the car that's blown up and needs 30 grand in parts to fix it and not lose any sleep. If you can't do that you better start looking at racing something alot less serious.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good analogy, set the money on fire and laugh!!

As for Stock & S/Stock, if you don't have some big time knowledge and skill, you are not going to qualify.
Just because they are the slowest class, doesn't mean it's cheap or easy.
You have to remember the rules are insane, and they are doing that with stock parts.

Now nobody is as cheap as I am, and you can build a pretty good team with a lot less then the big boys.
I will have a lot less into my 6.90 combination then a lot of slower guys have into theirs.
I buy when I see a great deal even if I know I won't use it right away.
I looked for 9 month's for a trailer and finally found a big triple that a guy was desperate to sell.
I found a car that nobody else wanted because it's not as cool as a F-body or vette.
The father had passed away, and the family wanted nothing to do with it.
My truck was $43,000 new and the guys business was struggling and I paid $28,000 with ~17,000 miles.

You can do a lot with a little if you have cash, and you look, don't just expect people to show up at the door and give you stuff.
Now a days with the internet, you can find just about anything if you work at it.
You just have to be very very careful with all the scumbags and internet crooks.

Good luck everyone.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Race your car!

I dunno if anyone is cheaper then me LOL. I ONLY buy, when there's a deal to be had. No deal, I generally don't buy. I'll wait for a sale, etc.

My trailer, was 16 grand new with all the stuff that's in it, I bought it from KP for 6700 plus my old open car, which I bought when it was a year old for 1500 less then it was when it was sold for new.

End of the day I put the car together with deals I came across the first time, and the 2nd build of it isn't any different.

I don't buy junk parts, I try to buy the best that I can find... but I will sit back and wait even if I have the cash for a new one most times just so I can try to save a little. It's the only way I can justify doing things....

And I will STILL have 75 grand into the car when I'm done I figure.....
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
My trailer, was 16 grand new with all the stuff that's in it, I bought it from KP for 6700 plus my old open car, which I bought when it was a year old for 1500 less then it was when it was sold for new.
Still say you robbed KP at gun point for that deal...
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Race your car!

Nope. I paid a couple compliments on the trailer when he bought it and put the pic's up.... and when he put it up for sale, he actually sent me a message telling me it was for sale and made the offer. There was little to no back and forth on the price.

I did have to hold Bill @ gunpoint to get him to go for that 36 hour ride though LOL.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I offered to go, but I think I recall I had work....