Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the steel part of the dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What did you do to the steel part of the dash

My idea was to drill the steel part that is hidden by all the plastic and dash pad and maybe hole saw the thing if I can find a metal hole saw. I will be leaving my windshield in but I have all the hvac stuff out and won't be running a/c again. So what did you guys do? And the dash plastic and pad is all going back in.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cut the ends off and just use thous. (the hole for the studs, and one of the 7mm dash screws) goes form 6.5 pound to .x
Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Studderin, what did you use to hold your blower motor for your heater and do you have any pictures of said dash modification. I'm all about loosing some weight but I still want it purdy to me it's more stealth
Old 12-18-2011, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99french
Studderin, what did you use to hold your blower motor for your heater and do you have any pictures of said dash modification. I'm all about loosing some weight but I still want it purdy to me it's more stealth
I'd search his name and find his "Cam-only" thread because I believe it has pictures of his heater.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya was that you the PM about a PN for the blower? I never got back to that and closed it sorry.
But I used the stock blower, its quite, the grainger one was loud.

Ya I posted pics, I used the fiberglass snail shell part. But Had to cut it were the outlet was ans screwed that to a alum angel iron frame. Had to use some piece and epoxy to seal it, so it dosne look super nice. But worked great.
I still haven't cut my lower dash bar but have some some other cars and it was fine.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Launching!

The lower dash bar is definaty getting hacked I was referring to where the upper pieces attach to and it's painted body color. Might be considered part of the cowl but it's inside the car
Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya I didnt touch that on my car. I dont know were that goes for it being a air leak. Ive seen guys cut that out. I dont think you could cut alot of that out, isn't the upper dash bolt right on top of it?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Are you talking about cutting the cowl off where it comes inside the car. If so, I cut the entire cowl back flush with the dash and just left the upper metal to support the dash. It's sort of similar to how people cut the cowl flush with the windshield on the outside of the car except it's on the inside. I wouldn't recommend doing it because you will run into all sorts of leaks (water/air) due to it not being sealed off from the factory. I lost right at 8 pounds by the time I cut everything out. You have to remember water comes in there from the windshield so you'll have tons of water leaks if all of the cowling outside doesn't get blocked off.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Launching!

The dash pad and plastic piece do bolt rite to it that's why I figured to drill it or hole saw the thing and not loose a ton of structure but might be beneficial weight wise to get some fat out. And when the pad and dash plastic is back on you will never know
Old 12-19-2011, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99french
The dash pad and plastic piece do bolt rite to it that's why I figured to drill it or hole saw the thing and not loose a ton of structure but might be beneficial weight wise to get some fat out. And when the pad and dash plastic is back on you will never know
It wouldn't be bad but by the time you punch holes in that piece then block off the cowl on the outside you probably wouldn't be losing much weight. It goes to the outside of the car so if it's left uncapped you would have 100+ mph winds coming in the car. I have done it so I'm just trying to tell you what problems you will run into.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the words of wisdom. It's what I was after and I was hoping some one had done it before.