Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What belt length for race water pump and no power stearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 03:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What belt length for race water pump and no power stearing

Getting the car ready... always in a rush.

I plan to just run the crank, alternator and the idler pulley.. no tensioner setup.. Anyone out there running this setup as well? Remember the belt length off-hand?

I've run belts before with no tensioners and am aware of the struggle it takes to get the belt over the idler.. all part of racing.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

A little hint, here is what I am running. Take the Idler pulley off, get your tensioner pulley bracket and mount it on the back side of the idler pulley bracket. You will have to do a little grinding on the idler pulley bracket to make everything line up. There will only be one bolt holting the tensioner in place, but when the belt is on the tensioner is pushing against the alt bracket, so it holds just fine. This setup works like a charm, I am just running stock crank , alt, and tensioner and I am using a 39" belt
Old 04-13-2004, 02:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hmm, thats a good idea however I don't have time by thursday to fab that up. I'm going to hae to go with a very tight belt for the time being but will look into that after the weekend is over.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BTL FED
A little hint, here is what I am running. Take the Idler pulley off, get your tensioner pulley bracket and mount it on the back side of the idler pulley bracket. You will have to do a little grinding on the idler pulley bracket to make everything line up. There will only be one bolt holting the tensioner in place, but when the belt is on the tensioner is pushing against the alt bracket, so it holds just fine. This setup works like a charm, I am just running stock crank , alt, and tensioner and I am using a 39" belt
Wow thats a good idea
Old 04-13-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Magnus
Hmm, thats a good idea however I don't have time by thursday to fab that up. I'm going to hae to go with a very tight belt for the time being but will look into that after the weekend is over.

Thanks for the advice.
Its going to take you longer to go to the auto parts to buy the new belt than it will take you to do this mod. I have a 37" belt. Depends on the crank pully you have. There is a pic on my web site.

Good luck
Tom
Old 04-13-2004, 04:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have an ASP pulley, ... I assume most hard core people have a smaller pulley.

I'll post my findings. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

I used a Katech Corvette manual tensioner and mounted it the same way as the guys did the spring tensioner. 10% underdrive crank = 37.5" belt.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

BTL FED, thank you sir. I did this mod and its very easy to do! Had to grind the support fins down a little bit on the back of the idler bracket to support the tensioner pulley bracket flush and just used one of the tensioner bracket bolts through the back into the idler bracket (opposite way as stock)...

Works very well. Very clean too!

Thanks man, excellent find.

Now I just need to get my water pump to stop leaking on the middle outer bolts.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Another quesiton, did you guys have to buy a 1" cap for the other inlet on the EWP? Mine didn't come with a cap so it was hardware store for that..

Also, since mine is a V6 swap I had my old V6 radiator hoses lying around. I was able to use the long V6 radiator hose and cut off the one end to fit to length and it works very well. It has the larger end on one side to fit the inlet and does a good job lining up with the LS1 radiator (when cut to fit). fwiw.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTL FED, thank you sir. I did this mod and its very easy to do! Had to grind the support fins down a little bit on the back of the idler bracket to support the tensioner pulley bracket flush and just used one of the tensioner bracket bolts through the back into the idler bracket (opposite way as stock)...

Works very well. Very clean too!

Thanks man, excellent find.

Now I just need to get my water pump to stop leaking on the middle outer bolts.
I wish I could take the full credit for it, but I got the mod from Tom the Roofer
Old 04-14-2004, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom the roofer
Wow thats a good idea
I belive I got that Idea from you sir
Old 04-14-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

I belive I got that Idea from you sir
Thanks man. I'm glad it worked out for everyone

Tom
Old 04-14-2004, 01:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

fyi,

On my car with the ASP Underdrive pulley and the trade mark "Tom the Roofer" tensioner pulley mod, I need a 36" belt.

Very nice idea. Sure beats having to muscle a belt onto the pulleys without a tensioner pulley.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

fyi,

On my car with the ASP Underdrive pulley and the trade mark "Tom the Roofer" tensioner pulley mod, I need a 36" belt.

Very nice idea. Sure beats having to muscle a belt onto the pulleys without a tensioner pulley.
Anyone know the part number for the 36 inch belt
Old 06-22-2005, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club NA

I did away with the tensioner and idler pulley. I made my alternator adjustable. All I did was simply put the belt on, pull the alternator out, tighten the nut just a tad, then tightened the screw that holds pressure outwards on the alternator, then tightened the bolt down. Kind of hard explaining, here's some pics. I'm using a 32 1/2" belt. 325K6 is the part number for the Kelly Springfield brand. Hence 32.5, 6 rib.
Attached Thumbnails What belt length for race water pump and no power stearing-adjalternator1.jpg   What belt length for race water pump and no power stearing-adjalternator2.jpg   What belt length for race water pump and no power stearing-adjalternator3.jpg   What belt length for race water pump and no power stearing-adjalternator4.jpg  
Old 06-24-2005, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I did away with the tensioner and idler pulley. I made my alternator adjustable. All I did was simply put the belt on, pull the alternator out, tighten the nut just a tad, then tightened the screw that holds pressure outwards on the alternator, then tightened the bolt down. Kind of hard explaining, here's some pics. I'm using a 32 1/2" belt. 325K6 is the part number for the Kelly Springfield brand. Hence 32.5, 6 rib.
Thanks for the info. Dragaholic. I had already modified the alternator bracket and had the tensioner bolted to it. Only lacking was the belt. Might try a different method later on to help cleanup the engine compartment.
Anyway, went to the NAPA store and got the 36 inch belt part # 060355 in case anyone else does this mod. using the ASP pulley / stock alternator pulley and tensioner.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

The belt you listed should measure 35.5", hence 060355.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

The belt you listed should measure 35.5", hence 060355.
Yea I know, that was the closest they had to 36 inch. Tried it and it fit perfect. I can now scratch this mod. off the list.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

You should get rid of the tensioner all together. Less weight, 1 less pulley, and cleans up the engine bay that much more.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey man, you think I could get a little better explanation of this? Kind of having a hard time figurin out what ur talkin about. Also, what crank pulley do you have? I have a 10% underdrive ATI damper, and i'm just tryin to figure out what size belt I need to go around the crank pulley and alternator, gonna get rid of everything else, like you did.

Quick Reply: What belt length for race water pump and no power stearing