Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my newyears resolution..... build a cheap drag car

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 449 Likes on 344 Posts

Default my newyears resolution..... build a cheap drag car

So I want some opinons, good bad, or whatever is on your mind..

Currently I own a 96 formula M6 pretty much stock except headers.
Im on a crappy auto mechanics wage so I dont have much spare cash.

I would just be racing in stock class or whatever category my car fits into and would be 1/8th mile..

So for cheap what would your opinon be? my engine curently runs great but has 180k on it, trans shifts perfect and car is curently my daily driver.
I plan to buy a cheap silverado to make my daily driver/tow truck

Im a great driver and I would love to keep the 6 speed to make it fun and still streetable but I doubt I could keep as consistant as a auto. Does anyone compete with a manual and ever win?
A th350 swap would be cheap but turn it into a track only car, then I could complety gut it and sell the t56 to put that money in on a 8.8 swap and freshing the bottom end up?

I know it wont be fast but does anyone think this might be a decent plan to get started or should I sell my car (witch isnt worth much $2500 to 3000) and start with something older?

I would eventually get the heads ported and do a cam swap along with some nice pistons/rods

Last edited by Ls7colorado; 01-01-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

would anyone even consider using a pretty much stock lt1 for braket racing?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not. In bracket racing you don't need to be the fastest, just the most consistent. In ET and RT. You already have the car and sounds like you own it, so it's not costing you anything. Torque arm suspension is pretty good. I'd say work with what you have focusing on suspension and driveline first, build that for what you want to do down the road with the engine.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
would anyone even consider using a pretty much stock lt1 for braket racing?
Yes. Ours turned out pretty good. We ran 7.05 in the 1/8 th (N/A) with pretty much all stock internals (LT1). There is a build thread somewhere in the LTX section.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cam/spray for a race car lose the 6speed and go th400,selling your 6 speed swap would prob cover the trans pending on deals ya found,but if ya are going to keep the 6 speed that 10 bolt will not last long at all,then dragsetup and work on the suspension as you go,dont have to do it all at once but many started racing in a stock car,those 1000rwhp cars dont happen over night,and as someone said ya dont need a fast car, my buddy races in a cammed/geared/stalled/bolt on formula and runs low 12s and is real reliable
Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Our stock internals build thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...als-build.html
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy crap!!!!!!! That is the cleanest build I have read and I couldn't stop reading!! Nice work!! I got lots of good info off that page. I don't have near the money to make my car quite like that but over time I would live to get it to that point. Heck your running that fast with a tuned stock lt1... I bet that car could hit 10s with just a cam swap
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
Holy crap!!!!!!! That is the cleanest build I have read and I couldn't stop reading!! Nice work!! I got lots of good info off that page. I don't have near the money to make my car quite like that but over time I would live to get it to that point. Heck your running that fast with a tuned stock lt1... I bet that car could hit 10s with just a cam swap
You could get the exact same results spending a lot less money. A lot of the stuff that I put into that car was left overs from other projects, etc. I am tempted to build another one just to see how cheaply I can do it.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GIZMO
You could get the exact same results spending a lot less money. A lot of the stuff that I put into that car was left overs from other projects, etc. I am tempted to build another one just to see how cheaply I can do it.
I got one you can use! Lol
I just found a th350 long shaft that I'm gonna get for $50 and then I'm gonna rebuild it and start on the rearend as soon as I can find a truck... Maybe I can find a 88-98 silverado that needs a transmission and swap my t56 in it lol

Quick Reply: my newyears resolution..... build a cheap drag car