Sponsored by:

Street/Strip Exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street/Strip Exhaust opinions

Fellas,

The chokemaster catback is getting sawzalled off in about a month. I'm close to a decision on what I'm going to run...just seeking some input. I'm running a Spohn chassis mount torque arm.
My plan is to run the Flowmaster 3-3.5" merge. After that, I'm going to run a short section of pipe and dump one muffler with a turndown. I am torn between running a 3.5" in/out Moroso spiral flo or a welded Ultra-flo. I want it as quiet as it can be for a dumped exhaust (I know,I know) because I drive on the street a bunch. I thought about a Hushpower, but heard bad stuff and it has a bigger case diameter than the two I mentioned. I plan on going much more power down the road, when does the 4" merge become a necessity power-wise? Maybe I should just go right to that.
If anyone has video of something similar to what I'm planning, please let me know.
I want to run this configuration for ground clearance, weight reduction, better flow than what I have now, and easier to hook up the back tie downs at the track without the dang suitcase muffler scraping me.
I've worn the threads on here to death...pretty much just need to pull the trigger on a merge size and a muffler.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 3 inch Y with a flowmaster merge into a moroso spiral flow dumped. It's the most quiet setup I could come up with for the street while not killing it at the track. I have also put the spiral flow on a flange so I can take it off at the track and run an open Y.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Spiral flows - don't flow worth a crap. They sound nice but that's where the fun ends.

Put something straight thru on it and be done.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a bullet right off the Y and don't think its stupid loud.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 AM
On The Tree

Anyone have any experience on how much quieter a Dynomax welded Ultra Flo is compared to their race bullet? I know what the bullets sound like, and I've heard Borla XR1s before, but am curious as to what the other one would be like. In the 4" size, those 3 are the only ones that I know of that have a small overall diameter.
If I stay at the 3.5" size, theres a bit more variety.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been researching the same idea for a while now. Based on my experience, I know what a pair of the 3" moroso spiral flows sound like off the headers with an MS3-cammed car - loud as $hit. LOL, and didn't flow that great either. I'd stay away from those. I've had a pair of 3" dynomax ultraflow welded oval case mufflers on a different car years ago and it sounded good. A general rule of thumb is that you want some sort of internal sound deadening material in the muffler itself for it to be quieter. A bullet sounds good off a Y-pipe, I had a 4" off one on a car before, but it's pretty loud. I'd go 4". Why add a potential future restriction? Here's a few suggestions for weight vs price vs sound ouput...

cheap = Hooker Max Flow 21609HKR , $70 (what I'm going to run soon)
moderate = Magnaflow 5x8 14153, $140
pricey = Borla XR1 40947, $175
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 127 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you tried a cut-out ?

I ran my car with and without an exhaust system....same day within an hour of each other...didn't see a change. 2.5" FM AT system.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

I want to ditch the catback so the car is easier to tie down in the back. I dont like the big crossflow muffler sizzling on my chest when I secure the back.
I think I am going to go the 4" route. I see Vibrant makes a 3-4" merge as well which looks pretty nice, but I dont know if it patches in with the existing pipes as well as the Flowmaster.
I might try and run the 9" long Vibrant race bullet, followed by either a welded Ultra flo or a Borla XR1 with a dump at the axle. With those two in line, I would think it would eliminate any possible drone and take a little bite out of it.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

On my Trans Am I also run a bullet off the Y pipe. I was going to do a a full catback and maybe get a cutout but that was going to be more expensive that what funds allowed at the time. Plus having the bullet on there now compared to driving the car with open headers my car actually felt like it could move better from a stop when driving normal in town. I don't have any numbers but the sound/smell is not nearly as bad as open headers lol.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My reasoning for dropping the rear exhaust section was simply cutting 50 lbs of weight.

I saw that vibrant merge, being stainless is nice. I'll probably stick to cheap and go with the flowmaster merge. It works and the quality/fitment is fine.

Quick Reply: Street/Strip Exhaust opinions