Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Keeping the front down

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
ya I'm not sure if turning up the comp is gona add on the ext valve, like some of the cheap shocks do. the one change at a time thing, but dosnt have time to baby step it. but your probaly right it will end up liking more, but on the right track
I'm not saying I'm right, but I'd prefer to tighten the front end down until it spins or doesn't weight transfer enough, and then meet in the middle. With a combo like yours, there isn't a lot of advantage in jacking the wheels up in the air like that. I'd like to see it ride them 2-5 inches in the air for 40-50 feet than pop up like a pongo stick.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Launching!

The compression isn't 3-4 its 75%... the rebound was/is being used to plant the tire, car was leaving at 13lbs of boost, had to get it up on the tire. New setup has waay more tq. As u can tell even on 60* **** track it hooked. At MIR you'd end up atleast doubling the rebound which will keep it down, or the very least keep up with the a sticky track.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by NoRice
The compression isn't 3-4 its 75%... the rebound was/is being used to plant the tire, car was leaving at 13lbs of boost, had to get it up on the tire. New setup has waay more tq. As u can tell even on 60* **** track it hooked. At MIR you'd end up atleast doubling the rebound which will keep it down, or the very least keep up with the a sticky track.
Whether the tire is 1 inch in the air or 4 feet in the air the weight is on the back tires. The key is sustaining the weight transfer and that's best done by controlling the forward motion of the vehicle. The pitch rotation is wasted motion.
Look at any videos of NHRA Pro Stock, or even a well working drag radial car.

One of the most feared 275 drag radial cars in the world - Bruders. Watch this run -
Don't think that because the wheels aren't in the air it's not transferring weight to the rear tires.
John Kolivas -
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

^exactly, driving the tire and keeping is planted is how you make a radial work.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRice
If that was 75% compression you won't stop all that bouncing by turning *****. It needs shocks. Santuffs will fix both that and the wheel stands.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
If that was 75% compression you won't stop all that bouncing by turning *****. It needs shocks. Santuffs will fix both that and the wheel stands.
I run Santhuffs and they are great but he should at least stiffen up his extension on his existing shocks before he even considers making any changes.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by powerjames
I run Santhuffs and they are great but he should at least stiffen up his extension on his existing shocks before he even considers making any changes.
He needs to at least stiffen them both ways. That bouncing up & down tends to unload the rear.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

He needs to at least stiffen them both ways. That bouncing up & down tends to unload the rear.
IMHO - It's bouncing because it's slamming the front down way too hard. I like the slightly stiffer compression up front is keeps the tire planted more effectively and the weight on the rear of the tire longer. Let's see how it bounces once it's not pulling the wheels 9 feet in the car! lol
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whether the tire is 1 inch in the air or 4 feet in the air the weight is on the back tires.

quote again.....this is something people need to remember, that sometimes gets over looked or not thought about. When learning how to use there shocks and suspension adjustments.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Launching!

I'm not saying I'm right, but I'd prefer to tighten the front end down until it spins or doesn't weight transfer enough, and then meet in the middle. With a combo like yours, there isn't a lot of advantage in jacking the wheels up in the air like that. I'd like to see it ride them 2-5 inches in the air for 40-50 feet than pop up like a pongo stick.
I missed this post, the cars best 60' on the last engine was about 8'' in the air. Not great, but the car liked it so I left it alone.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:10 PM
9-Second Club

IMHO - It's bouncing because it's slamming the front down way too hard. I like the slightly stiffer compression up front is keeps the tire planted more effectively and the weight on the rear of the tire longer. Let's see how it bounces once it's not pulling the wheels 9 feet in the car! lol
I can tell you mine, and many other SS cars, often get higher than that, (Not on purpose, tracks vary, you never know what you have first pass.) and that alone won't cause that much bouncing. His compression is way too soft. Many guys I race have had to send their AFCOs back in for re-valving to cure that. Don't know why they can't just sell them valved to where you can adjust them far enough to cure that.

Santuff does.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

We don't have limiters on our car.. but we can tighten up the shock so tight it is essentially a limiter. What we're really talking about is controlling the extension of the shock. Better to do with valving than mechanically.
Interesting, we never tried that with Andy's car we'd always strap the front end down though I'm guessing the shocks were also pretty tight.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you mine, and many other SS cars, often get higher than that, (Not on purpose, tracks vary, you never know what you have first pass.) and that alone won't cause that much bouncing. His compression is way too soft. Many guys I race have had to send their AFCOs back in for re-valving to cure that. Don't know why they can't just sell them valved to where you can adjust them far enough to cure that.

Santuff does.
We can Ed. You just have to buy from a vendor of AFCO that can custom valve them.

225-343-9029
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
We can Ed. You just have to buy from a vendor of AFCO that can custom valve them.
Brian, if I run into somebody wanting to buy AFCOs, I will try to send them your way. Myself, I'm extremely happy with my Santuff shocks. Stock Eliminator F body guys do well with AFCOs like they come, but aren't nearly as violent as the SS cars. Besides they adjust from the top, like my travel limiters. Too damn old to crawl around to make those adjustments. :-)

Quick Reply: Help Keeping the front down